The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio Condenser Microphones
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I got a pair of sE T2s today. I decided for fun to set them up as a Mid/Side pair and do some drum tests.

Here are 2 quickie recordings. The one labeled Mid-Side has the side mic, the other just the mid mic labeled MONO. The side is down about 4.5 db in PT. There's also a (+1.5) in the BD and an AT ATM23he on the snare. There are tom mics in the pictures, but they were still up, but not recorded for this test.
Whats the lowdown on the 5 gal water bottle?

And the way lowdown on the 3m buried under a PA?

Last edited by Lowend Bump; 14th December 2016 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Dont ask
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowend Bump View Post
Whats the lowdown on the 5 gal water bottle?

And the way lowdown on the 3m buried under a PA?
The water bottle is a trick I learned from Mark Rubel of Pogo Studio and the Blackbird Academy. You put a SCD in there, roll off the highs and get the lows thumping. It was still sitting there from a session last Friday. The mic has been put away.

I also use it as a percussion instrument when accompanying modern dance classes.

The 3M is behind the rehearsal PA. It was my first 2" machine and it was moved out to the live room (and used as a back up once) after I bought my MCI. I really need to sell it. I thought it was traded off for work on my old house, but the dude flaked on me.
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
The water bottle is a trick I learned from Mark Rubel of Pogo Studio and the Blackbird Academy. You put a SCD in there, roll off the highs and get the lows thumping. .

Cool! have to take that for a spin.
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowend Bump View Post
Cool! have to take that for a spin.
Do it!
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'd love to upload some pictures but somehow can't, tried different browsers but the attachments always disapear when i press "finish"
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
I'd love to upload some pictures but somehow can't, tried different browsers but the attachments always disapear when i press "finish"
There's some kind of issue going on. I uploaded my pictures to Photobucket and used IMG tags to get them to show here.
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Nut

room isnt finished but we did some recording today to figure out what to do next...

heres a short clip of the recording (no processing, straight from mixing desk)
https://app.box.com/s/vh5weupoyr2ir3o4ziv4dj26n44560pp
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrisizer View Post

room isnt finished but we did some recording today to figure out what to do next...

heres a short clip of the recording (no processing, straight from mixing desk)
https://app.box.com/s/vh5weupoyr2ir3o4ziv4dj26n44560pp
I think your room is coming along. There a nice bit of air around the sound. What's behind the wood slats?
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Nut

Here we are, I think I have the ugliest and cheapest of everyone!! Three mics only: c12 clone, royer 121 clone and EV868. I uploaded two files, one (el-vito-funky) is only c12 (no kick or royer) the other is three mics in the mix. Mixed in the box and mastered in analog.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-foto-grabacion.jpg  
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think your room is coming along. There a nice bit of air around the sound. What's behind the wood slats?

thanks! i was very curious today, it was the first recording in the new built room

theres 30cm of mineral wool behind its the nearly dead wall, some slats for the highs. we first put the drums there but in the live corner of the room it sounded better. ceiling is treatet and very low now (2.10m).
air comes from 2 room mics standing in the corridor outside the room, paned hard L/R. in my case: small room, low ceiling, all concrete around a possibility to simulate a bigger room.

mics used:
OH oktava mk 012
Sn top beyer tg 201
Sn bottom sm57
kick beyer tg88
toms md421
rooms gefell mv 691 + DIY u47
preamps via d&r vision console
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrisizer View Post
thanks! i was very curious today, it was the first recording in the new built room

theres 30cm of mineral wool behind its the nearly dead wall, some slats for the highs. we first put the drums there but in the live corner of the room it sounded better. ceiling is treatet and very low now (2.10m).
air comes from 2 room mics standing in the corridor outside the room, paned hard L/R. in my case: small room, low ceiling, all concrete around a possibility to simulate a bigger room.

mics used:
OH oktava mk 012
Sn top beyer tg 201
Sn bottom sm57
kick beyer tg88
toms md421
rooms gefell mv 691 + DIY u47
preamps via d&r vision console
Cool, man. I'd keep using the hallway room mics, its sounds really good for that.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I got a pair of sE T2s today. I decided for fun to set them up as a Mid/Side pair and do some drum tests.

Here are 2 quickie recordings. The one labeled Mid-Side has the side mic, the other just the mid mic labeled MONO. The side is down about 4.5 db in PT. There's also a (+1.5) in the BD and an AT ATM23he on the snare. There are tom mics in the pictures, but they were still up, but not recorded for this test.
I hate to quote my own post, but it seems like the upload issue has been fixed, so I'm going to try again,
Attached Files

T2 MID-Side_02-01.mp3 (4.07 MB, 3946 views)

T2 MONO-no side_01-01.mp3 (4.05 MB, 3789 views)

Old 30th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I just did a session with very simple drum micing, where the goal was to get this really dry, present punchy 70's sound. A Slingerland chrome kit from around `73, with all bottom heads removed, except the snare, which is a deep Slingerland marching drum from the early 50's.

Snare: AKG c414 in hyper cardioid/20db pad
Kick: AKG D12
Toms: Sennheiser 441's
Overheads: old Gefell UM70's
Kit, around 4 feet in front of the drums: Bruno Ribbon (RCA-ish)

All close mic's go through Neve 34128 mic pres in our 5465 console, with no EQ except for the kick, where a bit of low shelf was added. OH's through CAPI vp28's, the kit mic through a Tore Seem pre/eq (Siemens-ish broadcast pre), adding 2,5 DB at 60hz and 10khz. No compression to tape.
Old 5th February 2017
… and here comes a cheap, trashy set: no name, just a ride and a hi-hat. although the snare is a nice ludwig.
we were aiming at a trashy, raw, fat sound. mics:

Mono overhead: Golden Age Project R1 ribbon mic > La610
Snare top: SM57 > GAP Pre73
Snare bottom: Rode Nt5 > GAP Pre73
Kick out: Sennheiser MD421 > TL Audio 5051

Turned out rather ok, the toms lack definition, that's my main concern, but the snare is really fat! the sound file is a bit mixed, not totally raw.

https://soundcloud.com/zinzin/drums-1/s-hxQqC

Old 5th February 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
… and here comes a cheap, trashy set: no name, just a ride and a hi-hat. although the snare is a nice ludwig.
we were aiming at a trashy, raw, fat sound. mics:

Mono overhead: Golden Age Project R1 ribbon mic > La610
Snare top: SM57 > GAP Pre73
Snare bottom: Rode Nt5 > GAP Pre73
Kick out: Sennheiser MD421 > TL Audio 5051

Turned out rather ok, the toms lack definition, that's my main concern, but the snare is really fat! the sound file is a bit mixed, not totally raw.

https://soundcloud.com/zinzin/drums-1/s-hxQqC

Nothing wrong with adding tom mics.
Old 5th February 2017
or lowering the OH microphone
Old 5th February 2017
Quote:
yeah, will try that as i also would like to have a bit more ride.
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
is that a barbwire trap to contain the drummer???
Old 5th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonjon View Post
is that a barbwire trap to contain the drummer???
haha, you funny guy you
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Over View Post
I just did a session with very simple drum micing, where the goal was to get this really dry, present punchy 70's sound. A Slingerland chrome kit from around `73, with all bottom heads removed, except the snare, which is a deep Slingerland marching drum from the early 50's.

Snare: AKG c414 in hyper cardioid/20db pad
Kick: AKG D12
Toms: Sennheiser 441's
Overheads: old Gefell UM70's
Kit, around 4 feet in front of the drums: Bruno Ribbon (RCA-ish)

All close mic's go through Neve 34128 mic pres in our 5465 console, with no EQ except for the kick, where a bit of low shelf was added. OH's through CAPI vp28's, the kit mic through a Tore Seem pre/eq (Siemens-ish broadcast pre), adding 2,5 DB at 60hz and 10khz. No compression to tape.
Would love to hear that!
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Exploring tones for an upcoming project.
Over: Brauner Phanthera -> Manley Voxbox, with light compression.
Inside kick: Beyer M88
Under snare: KM86
F.O.K.: Coles 4038
Center of kit: MD 441 (will be feeding FX, thx. Tchad Blake!)
all except OH into APIs
The phone lens is dirtorting things, the OH is just 2 stick lengths above the snare.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc_0373.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc_0374.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc_0375.jpg  
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Exploring tones for an upcoming project.
Over: Brauner Phanthera -> Manley Voxbox, with light compression.
Inside kick: Beyer M88
Under snare: KM86
F.O.K.: Coles 4038
Center of kit: MD 441 (will be feeding FX, thx. Tchad Blake!)
all except OH into APIs
The phone lens is dirtorting things, the OH is just 2 stick lengths above the snare.
no cymbals ... sooo...I guess they are not needed..?
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
no cymbals ... sooo...I guess they are not needed..?
Nope, and I didn't even play any toms. I'll probably remove them for tomorrow's takes.
Just kick, snare and hats.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Would love to hear that!

Likewise!
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hate to quote my own post, but it seems like the upload issue has been fixed, so I'm going to try again,

Nice, well done!

And good playing (ghost notes galore )...

Those T2s sound pretty much like I remember from when I tried them - liked the sharp & fast transient response and the hefty but not bloated low end, but the top end "zing" was a little too pronounced for me.
I ended up not buying them, but perhaps teamed with a really dark preamp they might have tamed a bit in those topmost highs.

Hod do U find them?
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaeffe View Post

Nice, well done!

And good playing (ghost notes galore )...

Those T2s sound pretty much like I remember from when I tried them - liked the sharp & fast transient response and the hefty but not bloated low end, but the top end "zing" was a little too pronounced for me.
I ended up not buying them, but perhaps teamed with a really dark preamp they might have tamed a bit in those topmost highs.

Hod do U find them?
Thanks for listening!

They're still pretty fresh in my arsenal, but I do think they sound pretty great. I've been able to try them on a few things, and I'm liking them on female voice a lot, as well as room mics for acoustic sources. One record I have them as ORTF overheads on drums and they are pretty cool, but not quite my usual vibe from overheads, but that's part of the idea, different things to accomplish different tones.

@[email protected] mentioned that some touring guys are using them on guitar cabs, so I need to try that.

The second thing I did with them was M/S on the soundboard of my big, old upright piano and they were AMAZING there, and I've done it twice since. They may be worth it for piano alone.

They are unique, and that is something I appreciate.
Old 14th April 2017
Quote:
Thanks for listening!

They're still pretty fresh in my arsenal, but I do think they sound pretty great. I've been able to try them on a few things, and I'm liking them on female voice a lot, as well as room mics for acoustic sources. One record I have them as ORTF overheads on drums and they are pretty cool, but not quite my usual vibe from overheads, but that's part of the idea, different things to accomplish different tones.

@[email protected] mentioned that some touring guys are using them on guitar cabs, so I need to try that.

The second thing I did with them was M/S on the soundboard of my big, old upright piano and they were AMAZING there, and I've done it twice since. They may be worth it for piano alone.

They are unique, and that is something I appreciate.
Thanks Tony!

In the months ahead -try Kick out, Toms, Any perc [Tympani, Conga's, Timbales, Octobans, Roto's, Klave, Bells, etc. ], Marshall and big El gtr/4x12's [Tommy Iommi uses them as do Paramore], Rap and Hip Hop vox..., Upright Bass...

You try the V7 on snare yet?
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks Tony!

In the months ahead -try Kick out, Toms, Any perc [Tympani, Conga's, Timbales, Octobans, Roto's, Klave, Bells, etc. ], Marshall and big El gtr/4x12's [Tommy Iommi uses them as do Paramore], Rap and Hip Hop vox..., Upright Bass...

You try the V7 on snare yet?
I'll try all those things.

I haven't miced a snare since I got the V7. It might happen today though!
Old 14th April 2017
The studio is in a house circa 1905, I have the luxury of high ceilings

Last edited by Mario-C.; 15th April 2017 at 05:13 AM..
Old 15th April 2017
mpr
Lives for gear

kick - m82 + sm91
snare - km84 + m201
snare bot - m300
toms - e22s
hh - m160
ride - cmc6mk21
overheads - c12s
crotch - md21
fok - u47
mid room - 4038s
distant room - m582s mk55

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-chester-sparkle.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-chester-sparkle.jpg  

Last edited by mpr; 15th April 2017 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: wrong mic listed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search