The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 9th November 2015
Lives for gear

Satan and Avenger and local band nine tonnes guess which is which ..
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-image.jpeg  
Old 9th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

More vintage 60s Ludwig drumkit.
And an... artsy pic, too.

As always, it sounded (to my ears/taste) GREAT - punchy, phatt, ballsy.

Mics etc:

Kick in - AKG D112>vintage Studer 900 pre+eq>Tubetech CL2A comp doing very little
Kick out - 70s Neumann U87>vintage Studer 900 pre+eq>Tubetech CL2A comp doing very little
Snare top - Shure SM57>vintage Studer 900 pre>TF Pro P10 eq+comp in 1176 mode doing little
Snare bottom - Shure Beta57>vintage Studer 900 pre+eq
Rack tom - Sennheiser MD421>vintage Studer 900 pre+eq
Floor tom - Sennheiser MD421>vintage Studer 900 pre+eq
Hihat - vintage Neumann U64 tube SDC>vintage Studer 900 pre+eq
Overheads - AKG 414 BTLII>vintage Studer 900 pre+eq
FrontOfKit - AdvancedAudio CM47 tube>vintage Studer 900 pre>UA LA610 eq+comp doing little
Room floor LR - vintage Neumann U67>vintage Studer 900 pre+eq>UA 1176 comp doing A LOT in all buttons in mode

A
F
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_3188xa.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-ludwig.jpg  
Old 15th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

Not High End at all, but a beautiful sounding Kit. Late 70's Gretsch in 20 / 12 / 14 and an early 70's Supraphonic. My little home studio starts to grow
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_0214.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_0215.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_0218.jpg  
Old 15th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.M View Post
Not High End at all, but a beautiful sounding Kit. Late 70's Gretsch in 20 / 12 / 14 and an early 70's Supraphonic. My little home studio starts to grow
Nice kit, and the room looks good, too. Building some real corner traps would be my next step.
Show replies
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear

Some fresh pictures from a session I ran last week at Jackpot! Jellybean kit consisting of a Pearl President kick, Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz rack tom, Ludwig Classic Floor tom and Gretsch maple snare. We switched out cymbals frequently, but we had a nice selection of Zildjian K (new and old), Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals.

The signal chains for each drum channel were as follows into a Burl B80 Mothership:

Kick In: Telefunken M82 - Daking 52270 - dbx160VU
Kick Sub: Subkick - Hamptone HJFP1
Main Snare Top: Granelli Labs SM57 - Daking 52270 - dbx160VU
Main Snare Bottom: Shure SM7A - Hamptone HJFP1
Tom 1: AKG C414B-ULS - API 312 - Quad-Eight PE 444
Tom 2: AKG C414B-ULS - API 312 - Quad-Eight PE 444 - Hamptone HOC-1
Overheads: Lewitt LCT550's - Chandler LTD TG2 - Maag Audio EQ2 - Chandler TG-1
Stereo Rooms: Cloud JRS-34's - Chandler Limited EMI TG12345 Curve Bender - Universal Audio 1176LN's
Mono Room: AEA R84 - Universal Audio 2108 - Quad-Eight PE 444 - Empirical Labs Distressor EL8-X
Main Hats: Earthworks TC30K/Shure SM81 - AEA RPQ500
Aux Hats: Earthworks TC30K/Shure SM81 - AEA RPQ500
Side Snare Top: Granelli Labs SM57 - Universal Audio 2108
Side Snare Bottom: Audix i5 - A-Designs Pacifica

Here's a short clip of the drums with the bass guitar with no plugins on the drums, just some compression/limiting on the 2buss: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3gpc0q8sz...0Bass.wav?dl=0

Show replies

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 16th November 2015 at 06:53 AM..
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

OH mic of choice

Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-drums-20to-20windows-20alined.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-_mg_7927.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-_mg_7913.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-_mg_9105.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_0404.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-_mg_9109.jpg  

Last edited by cjogo; 19th November 2015 at 03:31 AM..
Old 19th November 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Some fresh pictures from a session I ran last week at Jackpot! Jellybean kit consisting of a Pearl President kick, Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz rack tom, Ludwig Classic Floor tom and Gretsch maple snare. We switched out cymbals frequently, but we had a nice selection of Zildjian K (new and old), Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals.

The signal chains for each drum channel were as follows into a Burl B80 Mothership:

Stereo Rooms: Cloud JRS-34's - Chandler Limited EMI TG12345 Curve Bender - Universal Audio 1176LN's
Mono Room: AEA R84 - Universal Audio 2108 - Quad-Eight PE 444 - Empirical Labs Distressor EL8-X

Here's a short clip of the drums with the bass guitar with no plugins on the drums, just some compression/limiting on the 2buss: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3gpc0q8sz...0Bass.wav?dl=0

I tried my R84 on kick. Didn't love it but, as a room mic for the drums it is excellent. I would not go so far as to say it wasn't good on the kick. More likely if I had kept using it i would have eventually gotten the tuning, damping and mic position together and gotten a great sound. But I prefer to use that mic on other sources particularly since I do a good deal of my recording with live rhythm sections in one room.

By the way I just listened to the clip and that is pretty much the way the kick sounded. Lots of low end information. Neither a bad or good thing. Depends on how you use it.
Show replies
Old 20th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I tried my R84 on kick. Didn't love it but, as a room mic for the drums it is excellent. I would not go so far as to say it wasn't good on the kick. More likely if I had kept using it i would have eventually gotten the tuning, damping and mic position together and gotten a great sound. But I prefer to use that mic on other sources particularly since I do a good deal of my recording with live rhythm sections in one room.

By the way I just listened to the clip and that is pretty much the way the kick sounded. Lots of low end information. Neither a bad or good thing. Depends on how you use it.
I didn't use it as a kick mic, per se. It's more of what I call a crush mic. It's usually set about 3.5 ft. off the ground and about 3 feet away from the kik, pointed at a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the bottom hoop and I slam it through an 1176 in brit mode or something along those lines. The cymbals are in the nullpoint of the figure 8 and the rear lobe is pointing at the far corner of the room. So it's really a mono room mic with naturally attenuated cymbals. It's a big part of how I build my kick and snare tones in a mix. My favorite mic for this application is actually the Stellar RM4 dual ribbon mic. The darker, the better!

Yeah, I probably need to turn the subkick down. But it's nice to have it there if I need it. Thanks for listening!
Show replies
Old 21st November 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Nice room, clear but cosy. Looks like a great kit too and how you getting on with the JBL's? (lsr305's?) I'm liking mine..
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice (and excellent pix, mine seem as dull as police crime scene shots in comparison, ha ha)!

Not digging the drumming that much, or that "Telefunken" mic kick sound (had the same sonic experience when I tried it) but I really like that lively snare sound and am curious of those lovely Lewitts on OHs - do U have a solo file of the OHs perhaps?
Also nice to see someone digging the Dakings, I do, too!

Btw in that wildgreen room, do U ever get any buzzes & problems from all those bits & pieces & shelves etc around? I recently went nuts trying to locate a buzz triggered by a floor tom & then some bass amp notes in a room that has now been all fitted with video recording gear & lights, in the end it was one of the flaps on a folded away Fresnell LED reflector & a couple of screws & bolts in a closed handyman's case that were the culprits...
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
OH mic of choice

Man, look at the light in THAT room... wow!
Makes Real World Studios look dark, eh eh eh.

And sure makes for a welcome change from windowless & basement recording bunkers.

How do all those windows work with the acoustics of the place?
Do U have/find/look for favourite different sounding corners & spots?
Would be curious to hear a cpl of room mic & OH files, just to get a taste of the space. Where is it, btw?
Show replies
Old 22nd November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem69 View Post
Nice room, clear but cosy. Looks like a great kit too and how you getting on with the JBL's? (lsr305's?) I'm liking mine..
305 is correct. I really like them. Can't believe they are so cheap!
Show replies
Old 22nd November 2015
[QUOTE]Some fresh Pictures from a session I ran last week at Jackpot! Jellybean kit consisting Of a Pearl President kick, Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz rack tom, Ludwig Classic Floor tom and Gretsch maple snare. We switched out cymbals frequently, but we had a nice selection Of Zildjian K (new and old), Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals.

The signal chains for each Drum channel were as follows into a Burl B80 Mothership:

Here's a short clip Of the drums with the bass guitar with no plugins on the drums, just some compression/limiting on the 2buss: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3gpc0q8sz...0Bass.wav?dl=0
/QUOTE]

On the contrary, I am digging the drumming on this one
Also the photography.
the hats have an interesting tone, and definitely poke out.
I like the kick, but wondering if its tone may be hard to mix.
who's the band?
Show replies
Old 22nd November 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
I can't either. they do a better job than they look like they would.

you have quite a large room there in comparison to size of speaker.
Show replies
Old 23rd November 2015
Mapex ProM Maple drum kit, Various Cymbals, mostly K.

Kick In - Audio Technica AT250DE
Kick Out - Octava MK319
Kick Sub - DIY Subkick
Snare Top - SM57
Snare Bottom - AT Pro35
Toms - Octava MK012
O/H - Sony C37
Room - Cascade Fathead
Wurst/Knee/Heart - SM57

I think I used a UA 4-710 on Kick Out, Snare Top, OH’s, a Warm Audio Pre on the Wurst and everything else was a Focusrite Pro40.

Show replies
Old 23rd November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaeffe View Post

Nice (and excellent pix, mine seem as dull as police crime scene shots in comparison, ha ha)!

Not digging the drumming that much, or that "Telefunken" mic kick sound (had the same sonic experience when I tried it) but I really like that lively snare sound and am curious of those lovely Lewitts on OHs - do U have a solo file of the OHs perhaps?
Also nice to see someone digging the Dakings, I do, too!

Btw in that wildgreen room, do U ever get any buzzes & problems from all those bits & pieces & shelves etc around? I recently went nuts trying to locate a buzz triggered by a floor tom & then some bass amp notes in a room that has now been all fitted with video recording gear & lights, in the end it was one of the flaps on a folded away Fresnell LED reflector & a couple of screws & bolts in a closed handyman's case that were the culprits...
Thanks for the kind words! People on this forum seem very polarized when it comes to kick sounds, but I know this sound will work well in the context of what this music is going to be once all the parts are in.

The Lewitts rocked on overheads! I've been digging those mics, they remind me a bit of the Audix SCX25A's. I'll see if I can get you a file of just the overheads.

Yeah, those Dakings are incredible! When I was dialing in the EQ it put a huge smile on my face!

I didn't get any trouble with sounds in the room, thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem69 View Post
On the contrary, I am digging the drumming on this one
Also the photography.
the hats have an interesting tone, and definitely poke out.
I like the kick, but wondering if its tone may be hard to mix.
who's the band?
Glad you like it! I'm not worried about the kick tone. The band is Coco Columbia.
Show replies
Old 23rd November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Spot on! Using a pair of LSR305 for some incidental mixing and reference checks and they are surprisingly good!!
Show replies
Old 30th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Today the Lauper kit came out again, with a hammered Ludwig BB snare, for german singer Katharina Busch.

All preamps are RME, except where noted.
- OHs: 2x Coles 4038 in Blumlein
- Kick in: AKG D12 VR in active mode, middle preset -> GR 500 NV
- Kick out: Neumann TLM 103
- Snare top: SM 57 -> API 512
- Snare bottom: SM 57
- Toms: AKG C414 XL-S (floortom set to fig.-8 to control spill from the ride)
- Ride & Hihat: Sennheiser MD 441
- Kit center/crotch mic: RFT DM 622 dynamic omni -> Joemeek sixQ2 for grit and compression
- Stereo room/front-of-kit: MG UM70s Blumlein pair
- Mono/far room: Neumann KM86 cardioid
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-datei-30.11.15-15-18-50.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-datei-30.11.15-15-18-34.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-datei-30.11.15-15-18-20.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-datei-30.11.15-15-18-05.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-datei-30.11.15-15-17-50.jpg  

Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Today the Lauper kit came out again, with a hammered Ludwig BB snare, for german singer Katharina Busch.

All preamps are RME, except where noted.
- OHs: 2x Coles 4038 in Blumlein
- Kick in: AKG D12 VR in active mode, middle preset -> GR 500 NV
- Kick out: Neumann TLM 103
- Snare top: SM 57 -> API 512
- Snare bottom: SM 57
- Toms: AKG C414 XL-S (floortom set to fig.-8 to control spill from the ride)
- Ride & Hihat: Sennheiser MD 441
- Kit center/crotch mic: RFT DM 622 dynamic omni -> Joemeek sixQ2 for grit and compression
- Stereo room/front-of-kit: MG UM70s Blumlein pair
- Mono/far room: Neumann KM86 cardioid
Cool setup André!! I bet it sounds great!!

I know where that UM70 comes from
I hope to see you soon!

Cheu
Show replies
Old 1st December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Cool setup André!! I bet it sounds great!!

I know where that UM70 comes from
I hope to see you soon!

Cheu
Yeah, it's still going strong.
Just last weekend it got chosen over a Neumann 193 (too tame) and a Brauner Phanthera (too crisp) for vocal duties, gorgeous mids!
Hope you're well and busy. Ring me up if you're in the neighborhood.
Best wishes!
Show replies
Old 2nd December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Here are some shots off my in-house kit i made while experimenting with my new modified manfrotto stereo bar, trying to do the Glyn Johns thing with just one stand.
The kit is a 1981 Sonor Champion in champaign

Overheads = Microtech Gefell UM70s
Talkback/trash = AKG D19
Snare and hats = Beyerdynamic M201
Rack tom = Sennheiser MD 408
Floor tom = AKG D112
Kick = AKG D12 + Sennheiser MD 421 + Greenback as a subkick

I hope i'll find time to record some samples tomorrow...
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc01219.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc01222.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc01225.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-dsc01224.jpg  
Old 3rd December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
Greenback as a subkick
Are you happy with that? I tried A Bass Cabinet that way once and wasn't too thrilled.
And the Greenback rolls off considerably below 100Hz. Official spec says 75Hz-5kHz.
Show replies
Old 4th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901 View Post
Are you happy with that?
No not at all, it was just a test, but it actually does what it says on the back of the speaker... it resonates at 75Hz

I like subkicks to resonate around 50Hz. As far as my experience goes the resonance of the speaker is what counts, not the size. I found a nice one for 12€ at conrad.de, 8", F=48Hz, that seems to work well, but i left it at a friends studio...

Actually had a drummer attending a mix session today and asked him to play a few bars on the set. You can hear the resonance of the sub pretty nicely in that sample.

Miced as pictured, only the snare and rack tom mics were angled a little different and the hat mic moved to the left of the hat, cause it was picking up too much rumble.
Should have tuned the kit
No eq or compression, except for the AKD D19 mono overhead/trash mic, that one got smashed by a radioman f600 limiter, eqed and mixed in at low level to add some excitement (bounced it soloed).
Show replies
Attached Files

Drumtest 4-12-15 - Stereo Out.mp3 (1.96 MB, 3505 views)

Drumtest 4-12-15 - Trash.mp3 (1.96 MB, 3353 views)

Old 13th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

my to go setup

kick: m88 & blue mouse
snare: 441 & c414 (down)
floor tom: telefunken 421
small tom: nothing
oh: coles
kit mic: sm7b
room: pearlman tm1
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-studio-drums.jpg  
Old 16th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Same drum kit, different mics, technique and snare, a Sonor D506
Mono overhead = DIY U47 clone -> Soundskulptor MP73
Stereo overhead / cymbals = Gefell UM70s -> Neumann V476B
Kick = Beyer M88 -> Delta DLX
Subkick = 8" woofer -> Delta DLX
Snare = Sennheiser MD 408 -> Soundskulptor MP12
Hat = Beyer MC930 -> Soundskulptor MP12
Rack tom = AKG D19 -> Delta DLX
Floor tom = AKG D12 -> Delta DLX
Trash mic / wurst / knee = AKG D19 -> Delta DLX

Roughly mixed with Cubase Eq, Waves CLA compressors and a touch of reverb...
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-sonor-champion.jpg  
Attached Files

Drumtest 16_12_15.mp3 (2.31 MB, 2886 views)

Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Sounds great man. Nice feel!
Show replies
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Just tracked some drums for an indie singer/songwriter a few days ago at The Map Room in Portland. The drummer brought in his 18" Tama Floor tom that he's converted into a kick. We used the orphan toms from the house kit and an assortment of my snare drums. In the sample you'll hear my 14x5.5 Rogers Dynasonic COB and my 14X10 Rogers Cambridge. Bosphorus, Dream and Zildjian cymbals.

Kick 1: AKG D12E > API 312 > Great River Harrison 32 EQ
Kick 2: CM27 (sorta like a U47FET) > JLM Baby Animal BA4
Snare Top: Shure SM57 > API 312 > Great River Harrison 32 EQ
Snare Bottom: Shure SM7B > JLM Baby Animal BA4
Hats: Josephson c42 > JLM Baby Animal BA4
Crush: Royer 121 > Chandler Germanium > Purple MC77
Toms: AKG C414B-ULS > API 312
Overheads: Coles 4038 > JLM99V > CAPI LC53
Room Stereo: CM46 (EF86 tube with M7 capsule) > SSL 9000 clone > ELI Distressors
Side Snare: AKG D112 > JLM Baby Animal BA4
Mono Overhead: MV-563 clone with Neumann M55K capsule > Altec 9470A

Show replies
Attached Files

con1.7snip.mp3 (999.6 KB, 2632 views)

Old 18th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just tracked some drums for an indie singer/songwriter a few days ago at The Map Room in Portland. The drummer brought in his 18" Tama Floor tom that he's converted into a kick. We used the orphan toms from the house kit and an assortment of my snare drums. In the sample you'll hear my 14x5.5 Rogers Dynasonic COB and my 14X10 Rogers Cambridge. Bosphorus, Dream and Zildjian cymbals.

Kick 1: AKG D12E > API 312 > Great River Harrison 32 EQ
Kick 2: CM27 (sorta like a U47FET) > JLM Baby Animal BA4
Snare Top: Shure SM57 > API 312 > Great River Harrison 32 EQ
Snare Bottom: Shure SM7B > JLM Baby Animal BA4
Hats: Josephson c42 > JLM Baby Animal BA4
Crush: Royer 121 > Chandler Germanium > Purple MC77
Toms: AKG C414B-ULS > API 312
Overheads: Coles 4038 > JLM99V > CAPI LC53
Room Stereo: CM46 (EF86 tube with M7 capsule) > SSL 9000 clone > ELI Distressors
Side Snare: AKG D112 > JLM Baby Animal BA4
Mono Overhead: MV-563 clone with Neumann M55K capsule > Altec 9470A
Looking good!
How do you like recording in the same room as the drummer?
Show replies
Old 18th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Looking good!
How do you like recording in the same room as the drummer?
It's taken a few sessions in this room to get used to it, but at this point I really dig it! It's really nice for workflow and communication. I have to monitor with Remote Audio HN-7506s, which isolate incredibly well and sound pretty good, but they're still just cans. As you can see I'm using minimal outboard gear (used lightly) on the way in, and I have to rely on my instincts to some extent. But with really good sounds off the floor, a killer drummer and familiar mics, I wasn't sweating it. I'm really happy with the results!
Show replies
Old 18th December 2015
Here for the gear
probably the weakest setup in this thread the only I can afford right now
- poor sounding room
- cheap Tama kit
- Kick - PG52
- Snare - 2 SM57 (top and bottom)
- Overheads - 2 PG81
- Hi-Hat - AKG Perception
- Toms - 2 PG56
- "Room" - 2 PG58