The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio
Old 10th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hmmm.... Not sure if I'm getting the images attached correctly. Hope this works...

Posting this not because I'm super confident in my technique, as much as I'm curious if anyone spots any "mistakes" or areas for improvement.

Been working a lot lately. Taking tonight "off" by reading Gearslutz and making a very rare post. I do read a lot here, though.

So...

I do a fair amount of recording in other studios, so I've stolen whatever techniques I've seen other engineers use... but this is my humble project studio, where I produce, engineer and perform on drums all at the same time.

This set up has a fully modded BLA 002, some Sytek press and 8 channels of Mackie Onyx coming in the light pipe. Sorry, this is a budget operation...

'67 Ludwig kick, 22" single headed (Coated Ambassador). atm 25 pointed at center with Earthworks kickpad and AT4047 pointed near where the head meets the shell. (There's a Shure in line pad on it.) Both inside the drum. Tom mount jammed in upside down to keep hardware from rattling while having it out of the way for the ribbon mic over it.

'67 Supraphonic (Ambassadors again) 57 top, sm81 side. Someone showed me the side trick. It stays in phase with the top and doesn't get quite as much kick in it.

Mid 60's Rogers Holiday toms (13, 16) with 421's. (The Rogers are awesomely huge. Didn't use the Rogers kick because it is set up with two heads and no hole and this wasn't that kind of music; just slammed the Ludwig in there.)

OH is a pair of CAD E100's. One pointed straight down over the BD pedal, the other overlooking the floor tom. Both are equidistant from the snare.

Rooms are a pair of Rode NT5's looking straight at the kit about 8" apart with a high tech wooden cutting board device between them.

The ribbon is a Tape Op message board group buy... cheap Chinese thing, similar to a Nady ribbon. It's pointed at the snare, but situated over the kick. It goes "boom." Between this and what's in the kick, I won't be searching for low end in the kick sound, plus the snare sound fattens up quite a bit.

What else? Cymbals.. old A 20, old A 15's and an early 90's K 17.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1335.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1336.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1337.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1338.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1339.jpg  

Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1340.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1341.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-img_1342.jpg  
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Guru

I'm sure that's a fantastic sounding set. I love Rogers drums. I've never used a ribbon over the BD like that, I may have to soon. I also have the TOMB bargin ribbons.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
Hmmm.... Not sure if I'm getting the images attached correctly. Hope this works...

Posting this not because I'm super confident in my technique, as much as I'm curious if anyone spots any "mistakes" or areas for improvement.

Been working a lot lately. Taking tonight "off" by reading Gearslutz and making a very rare post. I do read a lot here, though.

So...

I do a fair amount of recording in other studios, so I've stolen whatever techniques I've seen other engineers use... but this is my humble project studio, where I produce, engineer and perform on drums all at the same time.

This set up has a fully modded BLA 002, some Sytek press and 8 channels of Mackie Onyx coming in the light pipe. Sorry, this is a budget operation...

'67 Ludwig kick, 22" single headed (Coated Ambassador). atm 25 pointed at center with Earthworks kickpad and AT4047 pointed near where the head meets the shell. (There's a Shure in line pad on it.) Both inside the drum. Tom mount jammed in upside down to keep hardware from rattling while having it out of the way for the ribbon mic over it.

'67 Supraphonic (Ambassadors again) 57 top, sm81 side. Someone showed me the side trick. It stays in phase with the top and doesn't get quite as much kick in it.

Mid 60's Rogers Holiday toms (13, 16) with 421's. (The Rogers are awesomely huge. Didn't use the Rogers kick because it is set up with two heads and no hole and this wasn't that kind of music; just slammed the Ludwig in there.)

OH is a pair of CAD E100's. One pointed straight down over the BD pedal, the other overlooking the floor tom. Both are equidistant from the snare.

Rooms are a pair of Rode NT5's looking straight at the kit about 8" apart with a high tech wooden cutting board device between them.

The ribbon is a Tape Op message board group buy... cheap Chinese thing, similar to a Nady ribbon. It's pointed at the snare, but situated over the kick. It goes "boom." Between this and what's in the kick, I won't be searching for low end in the kick sound, plus the snare sound fattens up quite a bit.

What else? Cymbals.. old A 20, old A 15's and an early 90's K 17.
I love it....can you post a clip? Interested to hear how the NT5s sound like that. Thanks for posting.
Quote:
Looks cool, lets hear it!

kp
Lives for gear

Gimme some time... Gotta drive the kid around today and take care of other domestic responsibilities, and also set up a kit for tonight's gig... got all kinds of stuff tomorrow and Sunday... but when I get a chance, I'll post a bit from that session. Unfortunately, the talent is what you'd call a hobby band, so it's not the greatest example of my playing.

I'll post a very rough mix of all the drums, plus a sample of the ribbon and a sample of the rooms. No EQ, no compression. Just bare audio files.
Recently I had quite a adventure, I had one day to record 12-13 songs including set up and clean up. Then I had one day to mix them... They were more or less Rolling Stones covers for audiobook. Anyway, the photo shows more of the booth than drums and microphones as they were changed later. The space was super tight in terms of size, but the room was quite big so at least guitar players and bass were comfortable. I include few samples so you can hear how much the sound changed between songs (because of playing and mix, tuning and microphones were the same in all songs)
Overheads were U87 above snare and KSM44 above floor tom in recorderman setup. Snare drum was Beyerdynamic M201, snare bottom Beyerdynamic M88. Kick drum MD441 inside. Floor tom sE 4400a. Everything went into Art Tubefire 8 with little distortion to dirty up those drums, some channels could be into Audient ASP008, hard to remember. Mixed ITB. I left the panning like in the songs, there could be some bleed into the booth and sometimes the reverb send was used with other instruments so you can hear it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photo.jpg  
Attached Files

12.mp3 (1.45 MB, 1162 views)

11.mp3 (1.60 MB, 1508 views)

10.mp3 (796.9 KB, 937 views)

9.mp3 (974.5 KB, 1336 views)

8.mp3 (788.8 KB, 886 views)

6.mp3 (810.2 KB, 869 views)

5.mp3 (693.9 KB, 857 views)

4.mp3 (1,020.4 KB, 819 views)

3.mp3 (930.6 KB, 852 views)

1.mp3 (762.2 KB, 891 views)

Lives for gear
My setup certainly doesn't belong in the high end, but I'll chuck some pics up anyway!

I've since moved the overheads a bit, but settled on a sound that I am happy enough with.

Overheads : Sontronics STC-1 pair -> API A2D
Snare Top : SM57 -> UA 4-710D
Snare Bottom : Audix i5 -> UA 4-710D
Kick : Heil Sound PR-48 -> UA 4-710D
Rack & Floor Toms : Heil Sound PR-28 -> Edirol UA1000
FOK Mic : Superlux R109 Ribbon -> UA 4-710D

My room is so small I don't bother with room mics at all, I've tried some but never liked it much, prefer adding some verb for ambience.

I highpass the overheads, and use the compressors on the UA 4-710D, mostly to shave a couple of db off the hardest hits on snares and kicks - it's got a nice sound and always sounds better with it on, just a matter of checking the GR though. The FOK mic (cheapo ribbon) is great for dirt, I tend to nuke it with the 4-710D, but never have it that high in the mix, blends in nice!

I've tried the kick & snare through the A2D and the overheads through the UA, but prefer the balance with the overheads giving the kit image through the API.

Here's a ruff drum mix from sessions we've been doing on our 2nd album - I was messing about with the new Valhalla DSP reverbs I bought as much as doing anything with the drums proper. It's Concert Hall mode from Vintage Verb with some tweaks and the EMT Big Snare preset from Valhalla Vintage Verb.

The only other processing on this as yet is the Duende Bus Comp.

Anyone that can give any other constructive criticism, I'd love to hear it - drum recording is still a learning process for me, but it's getting much better on the way in believe me! Some of my earliest drum takes before I learned the room (and had budget mics) were truly horrendous!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-339100d1365354952t-show-me-your-studio-2013-no-setup-too-small-push8dda34caa90c.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-339101d1365354952t-show-me-your-studio-2013-no-setup-too-small-push1dfdce8e7967.jpg  
Attached Files

PermananetDrums.mp3 (5.08 MB, 1391 views)

Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

Audio samples of the session from the pics in previous post

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9026470-post3362.html

Titles should indicate what's going on.
Attached Files

Gearslutz All Drums.wav (6.89 MB, 1092 views)

Old 12th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

So it's going to make me do these one at a time. Sorry about that.
Attached Files

Gearslutz Ribbon.wav (6.89 MB, 1002 views)

Lives for gear

Attached Files

Gearslutz All Drums NO Ribbon.wav (6.89 MB, 923 views)

Lives for gear

Ribbon toggles on and off with all other mics on...
Attached Files

Gearslutz Ribbon Toggle.wav (6.82 MB, 1018 views)

Lives for gear

Last one.

Just the room mics because someone asked for that, I think...

There's no EQ, no compression, no nothing on any of these. Just dry and at equal volume.
Attached Files

Gearslutz Room.wav (6.89 MB, 976 views)

Lives for gear

Last weekend I tracked five new songs for my band's new record at Yellow Dog Studios, a space I've been associated with for more than six years. This was the first session I've used my pair of Lucas CS-1s on overheads and the results were great. All recorded through one of our API 1608s to MCI 2" and into Pro Tools via CLASP.

kick in > SM7
kick out > Soundeluxe ifet7
snare top > Senn 441
snare bottom > AKG D19
hi hat > AKG D224
rack tom > D19
floor tom > 414 EB with brass capsule
overheads > Lucas CS-1s
room > Coles 4038
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-yellow-dog-kit.jpg  
Old 17th May 2013
Here for the gear

I'm just a drummer who wears Shure SE-215 in-ears as I monitor & record myself when I practice or jam with others. I use an Allen & Heath ZED 18 mixer & eight Sennheiser mics: an e905 on snare, an e902 on kick, three e604s on rack toms, an e904 on floor tom, & two e614s as overheads. It sure was a pain to find & set my mixer levels initially, as I'm no audio engineer.
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-imageuploadedbygearslutz1368769196.069032.jpg

Gretsch Renown Maple Groove (Satin Black): 20x16, 14x14, 12x9, 10x8, 8x7, 12x5 Pork Pie Little Squealer 8-ply Maple snare, & Gretsch G4160 14x5 COB snare.
Old 20th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
This week's sessions; tracking the full band and keeping as much of it as we can from the full takes.

Kit is as follows (all API desk pre's):

kick in: Sennheiser e902>pre>Little Labs VOG>Distressor
kick out: U47FET>pre
snare top: Telefunken M80sh>pre>Distressor
snare btm: Beta57>pre
OHs: pair of immaculate C12s>pre's
hihat: AT4051>pre (pix show a KM84 but I swapped it out after not liking the tone)
toms: Beyer TG D50d>pre's
crotch mic: 57>Tech21 Comptortion pedal>DI>pre
close rooms: Lauten Torches>pre's
far rooms: Ear Trumpet Labs Edwinas>pre's>Transient Designer
Cool.
Am I missing something, what about the mono Neumann in picture two?

love to hear some samples of this.

best,
Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
Cool.
Am I missing something, what about the mono Neumann in picture two?
That 87 was in omni and acting as a talkback mic feeding the band's headphone mixes (one of the guys was in a booth doing scratch vox while also playing guitar). It didn't get tracked.

Quote:
love to hear some samples of this.
I'm mixing it all week, so I'll put something together.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Here are the audio files.
The one called "drummix" contains all the others plus the snare track and the (EQ'd and stripped) tom tracks.
There's a bit of bleed from the distorted cello amp in the other room.
nice!

Best,
Sean
Old 23rd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
That 87 was in omni and acting as a talkback mic feeding the band's headphone mixes (one of the guys was in a booth doing scratch vox while also playing guitar). It didn't get tracked.

I'm mixing it all week, so I'll put something together.
Did I see a shark lurking about..??
Old 23rd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Last week with Stallions. These guys rock!

Big old Slingerland, Supra 402, Paiste 2002's & Sabian Larrie Londin ride, my new fav (today). Silly good sounding kit.

Kick in - akg d200e
Kick out - BK5
Snare top - beta56
Snare bttm - 57
Floor - D112
OHs - 451's
Hats - 451
Rooms - U87's

Yeah, that BK5 was right up on the kick. We had moved on to guitars when I snapped these.

Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photo-2.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photo-3.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photo-5.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photo03.jpg  
Old 24th May 2013

Overheads - Coles 4038
Room stereo - Neumann stereo SM69
Room mono smash - U67
Snare top - 57 / Beyer 201
Snare bottom - AKG 451
Kick batter - Beyer M88
Kick front A - Shure Beta 52 / EV 666 / EV RE27
Kick front B - Neumann 147
Hihat spot - 451
Ride spot - 451
Toms top - 421
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanr View Post

Overheads - Coles 4038
Room stereo - Neumann stereo SM69
Room mono smash - U67
Snare top - 57 / Beyer 201
Snare bottom - AKG 451
Kick batter - Beyer M88
Kick front A - Shure Beta 52 / EV 666 / EV RE27
Kick front B - Neumann 147
Hihat spot - 451
Ride spot - 451
Toms top - 421
I like your John Travolta picture the most.
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
I like your John Travolta picture the most.
I know, check out that bad boy in full color:
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

I'm sensing a "Pictures of John Travolta knick-knacks in the studio" thread coming soon...
Old 25th May 2013
Gear Maniac

I have posted this kit a couple of times, but this was what I used to record a couple of new song ideas with my drummer today. Nothing serious so the setup was quick and simple.

Kick in - Beyer M88
Kick out - Gefell UM70
Snare - Beyer M201
Overhead L - AEA R84
Overhead R - Coles 4038
Attached Files

Drums 25 5.mp3 (1.26 MB, 1182 views)

Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini logo View Post

I have posted this kit a couple of times, but this was what I used to record a couple of new song ideas with my drummer today. Nothing serious so the setup was quick and simple.

Kick in - Beyer M88
Kick out - Gefell UM70
Snare - Beyer M201
Overhead L - AEA R84
Overhead R - Coles 4038
Nice! I like your approach, especially with the overheads choice. And the M88 is such an underrated kick mic.
Old 25th May 2013
Here's one from a recent session:

Kick In: D112
Kick Out: AT4050
Snare Top: SM57
Snare Bot: SM57
Tom 1 Top: 441
Tom 1 Bot: e604
Tom 2 Top: D112
Tom 2 Bot: e604
OH: Earthworks
Hi Hat: TLM103 (I think the mic got bumped in the picture, we were just about to tear down)
Kick Over: D202
Rooms: 4038
Mono OH: Apex 215

Yamaha Maple Customs: 20x16, 14x14, 10x7. Pearl Limited Edition Kapur Snare
Old 26th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Wild kit here. Old* 26" Gretsch kick, 3 snares, 10"Tempus, Dunnett floor tom snare w/ tensioning pedal (awesome) & 20's BB. Gong drum & various cymbals & sheet metal.

Kick - D112
BB Snare - i5
Tempus snare & tom - Audix clip mics?
Dunnett flr snare - D4
Gong drum - D112
OHs - Earthworks
Room - R84
Under seat - Audix SCX25A
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photo-2.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photo-3.jpg   Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio-photo-4.jpg  
Gear Guru

^^^

That looks like a fun set to play.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post
Wild kit here. Old* 26" Gretsch kick, 3 snares, 10"Tempus, Dunnett floor tom snare w/ tensioning pedal (awesome) & 20's BB. Gong drum & various cymbals & sheet metal.

Kick - D112
BB Snare - i5
Tempus snare & tom - Audix clip mics?
Dunnett flr snare - D4
Gong drum - D112
OHs - Earthworks
Room - R84
Under seat - Audix SCX25A
I'd like to hear the music made with this kit.
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini logo View Post

Kick in - Beyer M88
Kick out - Gefell UM70
Snare - Beyer M201
Overhead L - AEA R84
Overhead R - Coles 4038
Sounds almost exactly like EZdrummer! Very nice tuning.

I'm gonna have a Rogers in here soon. Hopefully I have the room done in time. Thought I could get away with what I had for room treatment. Snare and Hi-Hat bleed too much, and it's all direct reflections, blecht...

Going to be a night and day difference. Can't wait to repost.
📝 Reply