The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What differentiates a pro studio from a home studio?
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting. I know Buddy Miller often records in his home and those recordings have become professional selling CDs. I s'pose his is a home studio but the equipment, sound, and his producing and engineering skills enable him to create professional product. So in some sense, is his studio also a pro studio?

I guess we first must determine what the definition of "Pro Studio" is and this brings it all back to the thread poster's original question. I doubt a person is going to book time in Buddy's home unless it is someone Buddy wants to record - so in that sense, his place is probably not open to the public for hire. Yet records that are professionally sold have come out of his studio/home.

My thinking is that a pro studio is one where professional product has been recorded and or mixed. But that is just my opinion. Then the difference is, is the facility public or private?
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Addict

Wrong question being asked here, it's not pro vs home, but commercial vs home studio. Both can deliver professional sounding records.

Why do some have to use commercial studios when others manage to do it at home based studios?

You can have the best equipment in the world in your home based studio and yet struggle to get bookings.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 22nd December 2011 | Show parent
Difference? One is in a house, the other is slowly going bankrupt.

One has a parking lot, the other has a pool and spa.

Tough choice.
Gear Maniac

In the pro one, i can crank the **** out of my amps without thinking of neighbor's complaints, staff on hands.

In a home studio if i need a coffee......i loose the engineer.

I don't care about the spa and the pool........i'm there to work. For the spa and pool......hotels are supplying that.
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
After reading through the "Post pics of your home studio" thread, I started thinkin' - what is the difference between a "home studio" and a "pro studio"? Without knowing the title of that thread and just looking at the pictures one might assume some studios to be pro and others to be home. I understand that these studios are located in a "home," but Castle Oaks in Los Angeles is located in a home and it is still considered pro. So what do you all think? Is it location, equipment, buildout, clientele, staff, reputation, etc...
Professional staff with full-time techs. Custom built rooms, including a nice large one. Big name acts recording across the hall with celebrity visitors. Large serious mic selection. And the latest happening console.
Lives for gear

a "pro" attitude.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux View Post
Yeah thats what I'm thinking. Less problems.. I have enough **** to keep up on here as it is. Bricasti it is.. Unless I get a bitchen deal on a 480.
I've seen some pretty good deals on them. At least compared to 5 years ago. I sold the one I had for $3900 but I wanted to MOVE it out and get the Bricasti. Maybe a good call (if you don't like the Lex plugin which IMO is stellar - at least for the lexicon sound) is to get a 300 along with the m7.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
IF you do NOT have 10-20 pultecs you must NOT be a pro studio..?!?

I suggest you to watch beyond the plain images on that Youtube video. What do you see now?

-Nobody caring about neighbors, traffic rumble or noisy storms interrupting the session
-Huge, professionally designed, great sounding rooms, with dead-silent HVAC systems
-Extremely accurate monitoring in the Control Room, down to sub-bass frequencies, which you can turn up to 11
-Assistants that take care of everything
-First class engineers and top pros at all levels
-Studio manager/runners that guarantee smooth and trouble-free sessions
-First class equipment, well maintained, all ready to roll
-Nice Lounges for breaks
-Clean WCs
-Backup drives
-A bass/guitar Strings store that avoids stupid session-flow breaks
-A secure place to leave your equipment overnight
-Production rooms for meetings, phonecalls or quiet songwriting
-A directory of great session musicians if required
-Insurance if anything happens
-A great looking place to shoot your commercial video/BTS
-An Industry hub

..etc, etc, etc.

That's the difference between a Home Studio and a Pro place. It's NOT the equipment (which you can always roll in BTW)
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
I suggest you to watch beyond the plain images on that Youtube video. What do you see now?

-Nobody caring about neighbors, traffic rumble or noisy storms interrupting the session
-Huge, professionally designed, great sounding rooms, with dead-silent HVAC systems
-Extremely accurate monitoring in the Control Room, down to sub-bass frequencies, which you can turn up to 11
-Assistants that take care of everything
-First class engineers and top pros at all levels
-Studio manager/runners that guarantee smooth and trouble-free sessions
-First class equipment, well maintained, all ready to roll
-Nice Lounges for breaks
-Clean WCs
-Backup drives
-A bass/guitar Strings store that avoids stupid session-flow breaks
-A secure place to leave your equipment overnight
-Production rooms for meetings, phonecalls or quiet songwriting
-A directory of great session musicians if required
-Insurance if anything happens
-A great looking place to shoot your commercial video/BTS
-An Industry hub

..etc, etc, etc.

That's the difference between a Home Studio and a Pro place. It's NOT the equipment (which you can always roll in BTW)
Re: Bolded

I don't really think so.

All those things are great, but most of the top HOME studio's I know and work in regularly accommodate the majority of those points. Of course, these studio's are owned by PROFESSIONALS who make money - not by 22 y/o's in their parents homes. For any item in your list that they may come up short on, I rarely need. If you can't make a top notch record in a home studio that's set up right, the problem is yours not the studio's.... Again, I'm not talking about bedroom studios running cubase on a laptop with one mic and a couple speakers. The HOME studio's I'm speaking of are often better equipped than your professional studio's these days.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

Tough choice.
Good post, Jim. I agree!! I BBQ for clients sometimes. They definitely appreciate that!! I did bacon wrapped perfect softball size filet's. Guess what? they will not record anywhere but my place now! lol!
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

Tough choice.
Same here. Had Big Mountain here from US couple of weeks back. They loved the fact my kids were playing outside, and then my wife brought in muffins and a huge chocolate cake to keep us all going. Was sunny, so had dinner out on my deck.....guys played with dog during a break.....and we recorded a mint track!!! Perfect!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bernstone View Post
Same here. Had Big Mountain here from US couple of weeks back. They loved the fact my kids were playing outside, and then my wife brought in muffins and a huge chocolate cake to keep us all going. Was sunny, so had dinner out on my deck.....guys played with dog during a break.....and we recorded a mint track!!! Perfect!
Great looking studio, Louis!! My clients play with my dog at break too! For most my sessions, my dog is laying under my console, or next to one of my clients on the couch! lol! They love it!!
Old 23rd December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

When was the last time you saw an account statement at a home studio...?
Gear Guru

Ummmm....the last time I logged into my office computer?

Is this a trick question???heh
Gear Guru

In a home studio, you knock on the door.

In a Pro Studio, you have to be buzzed in.
📝 Reply