The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What differentiates a pro studio from a home studio?
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
You can get quality at home or remotely. However, how many home studios have lockout rates and 24 hour tracking schedules?
At home studios you have to deal with the home, the family, the neighborhood etc.... A rock band may not feel comfortable being at someones home for three months.
Some home studios I've engineered at have a good separation between the home and the studio, like separate parking, bathroom, entrances and hang-out areas. I think this is a key part of feeling like you are working in a professional environment.
Old 21st December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
These days, with budgets and working styles as they are, the two are literally interchangeable. I can think of one TOTALLY pro 2 room studio (SSL/API) where much work was done that is now owned by a rich investor and sits there as his personal playtoy. (Or so I've heard...) Virtually a "home" studio as it's not open for commercial use.

I can also think of several "home" studios that would blow the doors off 90% of the pro studio's out there - equipment, design, gearwise, etc..

There are some general guidelines as many have stated above, but there is no longer a black and white designation determined by the location of the building. - ie: residental vs. commercial.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Service.
Cdlt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil ➑️
Service.
this. for example, is the studio at Andy Wallace's home?

depends on the engineer. not just his skills but what she/he would tolerate
technically, acoustically etc.

in my case, i have a mix room. not in my home but not fit for recording either. but i do 'pro' mixes there, so i'm told.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Logic - Pro Tools
kdp
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle G ➑️
Logic - Pro Tools
Cubase-Logic-Protoolz-Sonor-Studio1-Reaper-etc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the presence of a 480L Larc on a console.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peat ➑️
the presence of a 480L Larc on a console.
Not anymore. Lots of home studio's with both of those.
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have to agree with the one guy (Kittonian?) on what makes a commercial facility.

That doesn't mean that you can't get high quality results in a non-commercial facility. It just means that if the primary goal of the facility is to make recordings as finished products to be sold to customers there are certain things that make the most sense to have. Those that Kittonian listed are among those things.
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quite simple really:

Pro studio- client is king
Home studio- owner is king
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby ➑️
After reading through the "Post pics of your home studio" thread, I started thinkin' - what is the difference between a "home studio" and a "pro studio"? Without knowing the title of that thread and just looking at the pictures one might assume some studios to be pro and others to be home. I understand that these studios are located in a "home," but Castle Oaks in Los Angeles is located in a home and it is still considered pro. So what do you all think? Is it location, equipment, buildout, clientele, staff, reputation, etc...

A pro studio charges you more money than what they give you in return
Old 22nd December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The coffee machine.
Gear Maniac

coffee - its the coffee

you stole my answer ----

the pro studio prolly has crap coffee ....
... no smoking .... i suppose ...

and ....

..***** actual instruments ***** in abundance

og (lg)
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory ➑️
Pro studio- client is king
Home studio- owner is king

I have to go along with this in addition to what I posted above about the folks out in front of the mikes getting paid top dollar.
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Great thread so far, it kinda reminds of restaurants or eating at home. You will be able to eat at either one and sometimes one is better than the other quality wise, one might have more options to chose from (menu) but at the end of the day it just might come down to what one prefers to do for their meal. It aint all that different these days with recordings and hard drives being the storage medium of this age we live in.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
Not anymore. Lots of home studio's with both of those.
Thats bs Bill, I don't have a 480L yet!! lol

I'm actually stuck between the 480 and a bricasti right now.... Can't decide.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️
The difference as I see it is as follows:

1. Separate live room and control room with a good amount of space in each with proper wiring panels between the rooms

2. Serious room treatment with proper measurements to ensure accurate sound reproduction in both tracking and mixing applications

3. Higher end gear that normal "home users" wouldn't have

4. Experienced and properly credited engineers and producers that know how to take an artist from A-Z when it comes to crafting a song, arranging the material, and of course tracking, editing, and mixing the audio

5. Proper electrical with dedicated circuits, balanced power, and a very low noise environment

6. To be considered professional you have to be charging for your services.
Otherwise, even if all of the other criteria have been met, you really just have an outstanding personal studio.

As far as being called a "professional studio" I don't believe that it matters whether the studio exists inside a residential structure or a commercial building as long as the above criteria is met.
Maybe all of these things add up to a pro studio, but a home studio doesn't necessarily have any of these.

A pro studio to me is one that is regular getting booked out week after week.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux ➑️
Thats bs Bill, I don't have a 480L yet!! lol

I'm actually stuck between the 480 and a bricasti right now.... Can't decide.
Well, somebody has to hold up the bottom end. heh heh Seriously, sold the 480L and the PCM96 here this year and got the Lex Native software and the M7. Couldn't be happier to see the 480 gone. It's not like a console where you can work around problems - when they break,.....they're broken. Get the Bricasti and don't look back.
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
As far as I am concerned pro studio is based in commercial business premises & home studio is located at home. There are not so good pro studios and fantastic home studios, great pro studios and etc. But that doesn't explain terminology. You can't have a professional hair salon at home, but a pro stylist may work from home.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
Well, somebody has to hold up the bottom end. heh heh Seriously, sold the 480L and the PCM96 here this year and got the Lex Native software and the M7. Couldn't be happier to see the 480 gone. It's not like a console where you can work around problems - when they break,.....they're broken. Get the Bricasti and don't look back.
Yeah thats what I'm thinking. Less problems.. I have enough **** to keep up on here as it is. Bricasti it is.. Unless I get a bitchen deal on a 480.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convectuoso ➑️
Maybe all of these things add up to a pro studio, but a home studio doesn't necessarily have any of these.

A pro studio to me is one that is regular getting booked out week after week.
How is this not possible at a "home" studio??
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Try this at home:

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich ➑️

Try this at home:

Bingo.

Regards,
Frank
Gear Nut

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
if your mom does not walk in during a session and ask if you've got anything for the laundry...then you might be in a pro studio.
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another one. This is what pro studios are all about:

Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Pro studio makes pro records, Home studio makes ****/decent/pro records, depends on the owner.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Try this at home:

That's pretty awesome.

But with a big enough room, how is it not possible?? And if your demographic does not consist of orchestras, how does that have any relevance as for your studio being professional or not?

I would never be able to do that at my studio because my biggest live room is only 22x24, but I'm sure there is more then one person out there that has a "home studio" that is big enough.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️
The difference as I see it is as follows:

1. Separate live room and control room with a good amount of space in each with proper wiring panels between the rooms....CORRECT SPACE NOT ALWAYS THE ISSUE THOUGH

2. Serious room treatment with proper measurements to ensure accurate sound reproduction in both tracking and mixing applications CORRECT

3. Higher end gear that normal "home users" wouldn't have CORRECT

4. Experienced and properly credited engineers and producers that know how to take an artist from A-Z when it comes to crafting a song, arranging the material, and of course tracking, editing, and mixing the audio.... I HAVE SAW SUCH ENGINEERS IN PRO STUDIOS THAT DID NOT KNOW SH*T OR HAVE A GOOD EAR

5. Proper electrical with dedicated circuits, balanced power, and a very low noise environment CORRECT

6. To be considered professional you have to be charging for your services.
Otherwise, even if all of the other criteria have been met, you really just have an outstanding personal studio. MOST ALL I KNOW CHARGES EITHER WAY

As far as being called a "professional studio" I don't believe that it matters whether the studio exists inside a residential structure or a commercial building as long as the above criteria is met.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGive'nTakeInfo ➑️
if your mom does not walk in during a session and ask if you've got anything for the laundry...then you might be in a pro studio.
LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Another one. This is what pro studios are all about:

IF you do NOT have 10-20 pultecs you must NOT be a pro studio..?!?

πŸ“ Reply