The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VINTAGE COLLINS 356A-1 TUBE PRE's worth considering? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th December 2011
Gear Head

VINTAGE COLLINS 356A-1 TUBE PRE's worth considering?

I have the opportunity to obtain two vintage COLLINS 356A-1 tube/valve pre-amps circa late 1950's/early 1960's i believe-which are in raw module form, needing a power supply, and connectors.

VINTAGE COLLINS 356A-1 TUBE PRE's worth considering?-collins-356a-1-gearslutz.jpg

Being a Single-ended tube circuit they are allegedly similar in circuit topology to the LANGEVIN 5116 (not the 5116-B) which is push-pull configuration.

If anyone has experience with the COLLINS 356A-1, how do they sound, and in comparison to the infamous SIEMENS/TAB-Funkenwerk V72 for example?

Thanks.
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear

I say go for it if the price is right.

How much are they asking?

They look in remarkably good nick for their age!
Old 5th December 2011
Gear Head

dubrichie

The picture in my post is not the pair i could buy, but the ones offered to me are in similar condition. Collins made broadcast consoles, same as Gates and General electric etc.

Frank_Case

They are around 400 pounds for the pair, similar prices are going for the
GATES PRE 4 which apparently have a similar sound to the COLLINS 356A-1

I've just found out from the seller that the COLLINS 356A-1 pre's are quite aggressive sounding, and are more in the MOTOWN area of sonic signature. They are substantially cheaper than The LANGEVIN 5116B and TELEFUNKEN/SIEMENS V72 pre's which i have read possess a more open, hi-fidelity sound, whilst retaining a solid bottom end which is the sound i'm really after.
Old 5th December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
I would think that the old Collins preamps would pretty much sound like a typical broadcast preamp rather than a high-end musical preamp. So if you are planning to use them in a recording studio, you may have mixed results.

For example, these days Symetrix makes respected broadcast preamps for radio announcers but they are not used much in music studios because there are better choices for the more demanding endeavor of recording music, especially the singing voice.
Thankyou, that's very informative. Yes i guess there's no corner cutting and cheaper alternatives to the revered 5116B's and V72's of this world. In pursuit of a rich/focused bottom end and open silky mid's and hi's, you need a nice fat wallet!
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Speak to Doug Williams at Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders (EMRR). He's the guy for all the old US broadcast stuff. If I remember correctly I think I've heard him speak very highly of those pres, but don't take my word for it.

I don't think any of them sound much like a V72 though.
Old 27th October 2014
Here for the gear

Hello there! I am searching for a schematic for a Collins 6R, anyone of you guys who can provide such a thing? Or do you know where I shall turn to?

Cheers
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search