The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prism Sound Orpheus preamps? Audio Interfaces
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Prism Sound Orpheus preamps?

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how good the preamps on the Prismsound Orpheus are compared to standalone pres?
Old 1st December 2011
I found them clear, clean, low noise, good headroom, quick, & light sounding. Not any tonal opinion at all. Full, flat and sharply defined, might be a good description of what I heard from them. They seemed pretty pure, and outta the way to me. Compared to outboard preamp, I don't know what piece?

Also, the only way to use these preamps, is to use them directly in front of the Prism AD Converters, so there is no way to insert any analog outboard processing after them before the converters. This would be the main reason to use any outboard preamplifier option, besides the sound of course. Overall, I think the Prism unit is a highly sophisticated product that sounds wonderful.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Also, the only way to use these preamps, is to use them directly in front of the Prism AD Converters, so there is no way to insert any analog outboard processing after them before the converters.
Last year I was leaning on getting an Orpheus and sadly this is the one reason that made me decide against it. I don't need more than the 4 pres it comes with and I love clean, so I didn't want to buy more pres if I didn't need to.

Even if they had included just two inserts, I would have bitten. Even cheap converters come with inserts so I'm not sure why they didn't include any.

Regards,
Frank
Old 5th December 2011
Here for the gear

so tell me if i got this right..
there is no line input on orpheus?

or what you are saying is that there is no way to insert more signal processing after the orpheus' preamp?

im misunderstanding something here...
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear
There are line inputs. What they're saying is you can't insert between the internal preamps and the converters, so you can't adapt the sound on input. The preamps are terrific, but compression etc has to be done after the fact.

For tracks where controlling the sound on input is important I use other preamps/channel strips going into the line inputs.
Old 6th December 2011
Lives for gear
"clear, clean, quick, light sounding........ .tonal opinion, Full, flat........ sharply defined.....sophisticated, wonderful.............."
( Mixwell, Thread 673353, Post 2 )

This is what I love about threads like this...!!! You not only get vivid accurate and "like you are there" descriptions of mic pres, but you can cut and past the above into your Winword or Open Office thesaurus and away you goooo!!!!

thank you
Old 6th December 2011
Gear Addict

prism

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
"clear, clean, quick, light sounding........ .tonal opinion, Full, flat........ sharply defined.....sophisticated, wonderful.............."
( Mixwell, Thread 673353, Post 2 )

This is what I love about threads like this...!!! You not only get vivid accurate and "like you are there" descriptions of mic pres, but you can cut and past the above into your Winword or Open Office thesaurus and away you goooo!!!!

thank you
I would simply say accurate. The salesmanship can be described as euphonic.
I'm not sure what the gripe is about no analog insert points. If you need processing on the way in, patch it. If you want hardware inserts you can do that after tracking with this unit.

If you want superb conversion and don't require coloration at the preamp, this unit is a beast in one rack space.

I think of small jazz combo, classical quartet recording - singer/songwriter tracking- in the studio or live/location.

More capturing performances and less production.
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear
I just realised, I don't know why I didn't say earlier, must have been drunk. You can insert on the orpheus!

There are software mixers for all the sets of inputs and outputs.

When I use tracking compression for instance and I'm recording into the first orpheus preamp, I just mute that in the first mixer page (the set of inputs that go to my DAW) and unmute it in the mixer that goes to my compressor, then unmute the line input that returns from my compressor in the first mixer.

At first it's an unusual way of working (not as simple as insert points) but it is effective.
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear

Clean, good transient response, but poor headroom. Forget recording percussions with it. Could be good for some form of vocals, moderately played acoustic guitars etc. though.

My earlier comments from a year or so back:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...ml#post5432767

Prism Orpheus mic preamp quality

B.
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatom View Post
I just realised, I don't know why I didn't say earlier, must have been drunk. You can insert on the orpheus!

There are software mixers for all the sets of inputs and outputs.

When I use tracking compression for instance and I'm recording into the first orpheus preamp, I just mute that in the first mixer page (the set of inputs that go to my DAW) and unmute it in the mixer that goes to my compressor, then unmute the line input that returns from my compressor in the first mixer.

At first it's an unusual way of working (not as simple as insert points) but it is effective.
Curious about this.. Does this mean that it's getting converted to digital after the preamp, then back out the D/A to your compressor, then another A/D at the line in after your compressor?

Maybe the Orpheus' conversion is so clean that it doesn't really matter.. Of course, at that point I would probably just record the preamp input into my DAW and then send it out back out to the comp during mixdown..
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear
Yes, conversion is happening twice I think. I only use that method where some compression is absolutely necessary to track. It does also raise the noise floor because there's so much more in the signal path, but not by much. The conversion and preamps are obscenely clean.
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Maniac

When I had the chance to compair the Orpheus preamps to a couple other real high-end stand alone preamps, the Orpheus did just fine, but it's certainly not a box you'd buy for its preamps
Old 26th January 2012
DRAWMER1969 bought but not used (I do not know why bought))). Orpheus preamp is very clean. + OWK limiter. Very good. Mic Nuemann M149 tube .
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

The Orpheus came out in what 2005?

I would not want to buy one now at full price.
Wait for an updated one and the old one will cost less or buy the newest version when it comes out if they add any extra stuff.Funny the new UA interface really reminds me of an Orpheus.Did anyone notice the look or am I seeing things?
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
The Orpheus came out in what 2005?

I would not want to buy one now at full price.
Wait for an updated one and the old one will cost less or buy the newest version when it comes out if they add any extra stuff.Funny the new UA interface really reminds me of an Orpheus.Did anyone notice the look or am I seeing things?
yeah for sure. I wonder how the Apollo converters stack up.
Old 4th November 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekskie View Post
Hi,
i`m stuck as to buy an audient asp880 or an aurora 8 to add to my prism orpheus for outboard,
which is best,
kindest,
G.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search