The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Surprise: My Old ADAT Recordings Sound Great Condenser Microphones
Old 16th March 2013

My ancient 384-bit 30EHz 268-track analogue recordings done on my iPad 7 still sound awesome!

You guys are way too fussy.

(Can't wait to bounce them down to 266-track!! )

Old 16th March 2013
I notice the same thing as many others: my old recordings on both analog and digital tape sound more vital to than my daw mixes:

A simple explanation:

The interface on a real console is much more powerful and faster to work with.

Lack of endless options led to less processing and more careful use of listening skills.

The computer monitor is distracting. It takes you away from listening mode. The visual has huge effect on your perception. Try turning off your computer monitor while your mix is playing. It's like the cloud will lift from your head, it will be much more obvious how my our mix sounds!
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1daly View Post
Lack of endless options
Something to be said for that.

Cdlt,
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
The computer monitor is distracting. It takes you away from listening mode.
I feel you like a brother
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

Mayby this plugin could emulate some of the sound of a Adat / Dash machine:

http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/magnetic/

(DASH) were the primary digital reel-to-reel formats in use in recording studios from the early 1980s through the mid 1990's. With the MAGNETIC, Nomad Factory has captured the essence of DASH technology and made the sound of high-fidelity digital tape recording available in plug-in format.

Plug-In Features :

REEL SPEED controls the speed of the virtual tape machine. Higher speeds give you more studio-quality fidelity; lower speeds sound more like a cassette tape. The DASH setting gives you the highest-fidelity of digital audio tape predominately used in the 80’s and 90’s.

It would be great if some one could make IR´s of diffrent versions of
Alesis Adat 16-bit Blackface, Silverface, and the 20bit Xt-20, Lx-20, M20 and post in this thread.
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

Hybrid Systems
Hardware In The Software Studio:

Hybrid Systems

What’s best: hardware or software? Analogue or digital? Most studio tools have their strengths, but how best do you combine hardware and software in a modern project studio?
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

Analogue Warmth
The Sound Of Tubes, Tape & Transformers:

Analogue Warmth

Analogue warmth seems to be the Holy Grail in these digital days. But what is it, why does it hold such appeal, and how can you use it to enhance your recordings?
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

Good lord, the first time I heard an ADAT I wondered how the high end of the saxophone somehow got detached from the body of the sound and became an instrument of its own. I could almost didn't recognize the audio as music. (meanwhile, i loved the sound of my grey market 1-bit tascam DAT machine). Those machines sucked and when I listen to any audio that my friends recorded on them back when I still think it sucks. My DA-88 sucked somewhat less. My Mix 888 Digi converters sucked too. Never liked the Sony 48 track digital machines either in spite of recording to them at Capitol studios with Aretha and David Foster.

All those converters had some kind of distortion to them that some people might now be missing because the storage medium for digital audio is incredibly clean these days. i don't miss it a bit and my current work on Pro Tools is way better than it used to be.

-R
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaH! View Post
Mayby this plugin could emulate some of the sound of a Adat / Dash machine:

Nomad Factory Creative Software Company

(DASH) were the primary digital reel-to-reel formats in use in recording studios from the early 1980s through the mid 1990's. With the MAGNETIC, Nomad Factory has captured the essence of DASH technology and made the sound of high-fidelity digital tape recording available in plug-in format.
Old 12th September 2013
Levels too hot?

Hi all-

Actually I am in the same boat as a lot of you in that I have an old ADAT XT that is just sitting here and I am debating getting rid of it. Thought I'd fire it up one last time and listen to the tracks (which were stereo piano and acoustic bass). Honestly, I was quite impressed-sounded much warmer than the PT 10 rig I have. I was trying to figure out why that was and started looking through the manual when it hit me: I ran across a section in the manual on optimal recording levels and it is recommended that you aim for an average recording level on the meters of -15. Sure enough, I looked at the meters and that was pretty much where they were hanging out. Sooooooo, I'm thinking this has to do with K-metering more than the sound of the converters (in other words, O db analog=-18 digital). I just recently read about this and am planning on making future recordings this way (new concept for me, sorry). I heard an A-B recording on this page (The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes (restored), under Michael E, trim-after-and-before-EQ.). It's a crappy drum loop but the bass is definitely fuller, and in fact, that seems to be the case with the ADAT mixes-they sound so much fuller and warmer (particularly the acoustic bass). I could be wrong about this but perhaps that is the reason people like their old ADAT mixes so much-because we didn't record as hot back then and the equipment was performing in its optimum range? What do you think?
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

I had done recordings on adats and then moved on to a couple of fostex d90s (they sounded even better than the adats to me). My old mixes still sound great to this day. I perfected mixing itb over the years but now I'm going back to analog. Running your mix through a board gives it a more aggressive sound with less work. I'm sick of putting saturation plugins everywhere
Old 12th September 2013
Price ADAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
Yes, another ITB vs. OTB war thread!

EDIT: For sale vintage ADAT 8-track. Only 8500€ But next week it's 9500€
Icredible!
Old 12th September 2013
The computer monitor is distracting.

Quote:
I notice the same thing as many others: my old recordings on both analog and digital tape sound more vital to than my daw mixes:

A simple explanation:

The interface on a real console is much more powerful and faster to work with.

Lack of endless options led to less processing and more careful use of listening skills.

The computer monitor is distracting. It takes you away from listening mode. The visual has huge effect on your perception. Try turning off your computer monitor while your mix is playing. It's like the cloud will lift from your head, it will be much more obvious how my our mix sounds!
The computer monitor is distracting.

Absolutely.
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

don't let the ebay FPG find out "flower pot guy"
Old 13th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by session bass View Post
Hi all-

Actually I am in the same boat as a lot of you in that I have an old ADAT XT that is just sitting here and I am debating getting rid of it. Thought I'd fire it up one last time and listen to the tracks (which were stereo piano and acoustic bass). Honestly, I was quite impressed-sounded much warmer than the PT 10 rig I have. I was trying to figure out why that was and started looking through the manual when it hit me: I ran across a section in the manual on optimal recording levels and it is recommended that you aim for an average recording level on the meters of -15. Sure enough, I looked at the meters and that was pretty much where they were hanging out. Sooooooo, I'm thinking this has to do with K-metering more than the sound of the converters (in other words, O db analog=-18 digital). I just recently read about this and am planning on making future recordings this way (new concept for me, sorry). I heard an A-B recording on this page (The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes (restored), under Michael E, trim-after-and-before-EQ.). It's a crappy drum loop but the bass is definitely fuller, and in fact, that seems to be the case with the ADAT mixes-they sound so much fuller and warmer (particularly the acoustic bass). I could be wrong about this but perhaps that is the reason people like their old ADAT mixes so much-because we didn't record as hot back then and the equipment was performing in its optimum range? What do you think?
Any thoughts on this?
Old 4 days ago
This was an amazing thread
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Didn't read the whole thread but the ADAT conversion itself has very little, if anything, to do with the larger differences heard. Record a well known recorded source to the ADAT and to your current rig and see if the differences are as large. Much more likely the cause is (any or all):

1. The room
2. Mic selection/position/placement
3. Composition/performance/instrumentation
4. Gain staging technique/levels
5. Preamps
6. Monitoring and monitoring environment while tracking
7. Changes in hearing
8. Summing equipment and techniques, if any.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by session bass View Post
Any thoughts on this?
This topic has been discussed in length many times over on this forum. The difference between -15 and 0dBFS, for example, isn't about the converters, but how taxing 0dBFS can be for SOME outboard gear producing that level.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
Didn't read the whole thread but the ADAT conversion itself has very little, if anything, to do with the larger differences heard. Record a well known recorded source to the ADAT and to your current rig and see if the differences are as large. Much more likely the cause is (any or all):

1. The room
2. Mic selection/position/placement
3. Composition/performance/instrumentation
4. Gain staging technique/levels
5. Preamps
6. Monitoring and monitoring environment while tracking
7. Changes in hearing
8. Summing equipment and techniques, if any.
Please tell me I poked the bear! Seriously it was great to reflect and stroll down memory lane. I started off on a Fostex FD-8 during the ADAT era. Knew guys that had ADATs, I just wasn't able to buy a big board. Used a Lexicon MPX200 for effects and a Behringer Compressor. Couple of 57's, a 52, and an AKG C3000B. Made music with it and eventually bought an Akai DPS 16. Now in 2018, I'm all outboard and only use my DAW as a tape machine. I also wonder how many posters would now disagree with what they posted back then.

Last edited by Ford Slinger; 14 hours ago at 06:33 PM.. Reason: spell
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Slinger View Post
Please tell me I poked the bear!.
You poked the bear.

But it’s an interesting bear.
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Addict

Interesting Nostalgic Topic

I have been putting the finishing touches on a renovation to my studio which I started building in 1988. Just 2 days ago I was telling someone about how I had one of the very first ADATS. I got it in I guess 93, I was on the fence as to get the ADAT or a TSR-8. I decided on the ADAT. I got it after a 3 month wait and as I was walking out of the music store, I made the comment: "I just bought a $3500 box of air". It was so light. We used it for one of my first projects. The band Neutral Nation, was a bit excited about the new machine, as I was. After 2 months of tracking I regretted buying it, Clock noise was evident in headphones. I sent it back to Alesis in CA for it to return with the same clock noise. At that point I traded it in for my first Tascam, the TSR-8, which I still have, along with 3 others, an MS-16, MSR-24 and a few other assorted 1/4" Tascams. That was the extent to my foray into Digital as to this day I still track with my old Tascams. I do remember the bass being fat and tight though.
Old 14 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I have been putting the finishing touches on a renovation to my studio which I started building in 1988. Just 2 days ago I was telling someone about how I had one of the very first ADATS. I got it in I guess 93, I was on the fence as to get the ADAT or a TSR-8. I decided on the ADAT. I got it after a 3 month wait and as I was walking out of the music store, I made the comment: "I just bought a $3500 box of air". It was so light. We used it for one of my first projects. The band Neutral Nation, was a bit excited about the new machine, as I was. After 2 months of tracking I regretted buying it, Clock noise was evident in headphones. I sent it back to Alesis in CA for it to return with the same clock noise. At that point I traded it in for my first Tascam, the TSR-8, which I still have, along with 3 others, an MS-16, MSR-24 and a few other assorted 1/4" Tascams. That was the extent to my foray into Digital as to this day I still track with my old Tascams. I do remember the bass being fat and tight though.
That is too cool. I actually found this thread researching tape machines. I pretty much use all analog outboard and thought that being able to bounce something out to tape and then send back in my DAW could be a worthwhile effect to have at my disposal. Or to track heavy guitars or snare to tape and then bounce it to my DAW. However, the maintenance is scary and I'll admit I'm not the handiest guy.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I was on the waiting list for a pair of blackfaces at Nadine's Hollywood. Also for $3500ea--thought I had hustled a deal cos everyone was paying the full $3999 price for them at the time as they weren't avail yet.

Got a call fron Nadine's; "John Entwistle's ADATS are here, and he's ahead of you on the list, but he's outta town...said he'd jump back some spots in the line if you want his."

So, I ran down to pick them up. Pretty sure it was 1992.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I was on the waiting list for a pair of blackfaces at Nadine's Hollywood. Also for $3500ea--thought I had hustled a deal cos everyone was paying the full $3999 price for them at the time as they weren't avail yet.

Got a call fron Nadine's; "John Entwistle's ADATS are here, and he's ahead of you on the list, but he's outta town...said he'd jump back some spots in the line if you want his."

So, I ran down to pick them up. Pretty sure it was 1992.
Great story. Some of those Brits were decent human beings (which required some sense when crowds of people kept telling them they were gods).
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Great story. Some of those Brits were decent human beings (which required some sense when crowds of people kept telling them they were gods).
Well, I'm a Brit....haha
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

woo hoo..just got one of my er7 msg to go..by cleaning..does any one know how to get all the ADAT rubber bands ? I want to replace a few

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search