The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800g, Brauner Val X, Manley Ref Car, or JJ Audio Akita for modern pop/R&B
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear Head

Anyone have a vocal shootout of mics that work well on modern pop/ R&B: I would love to hear these going up against one another using the same source .

Sony C800g
Brauner Valvet x
Manley Ref Car
JJ Audio Akita
Old 2nd January 2013
I own a C800G and love it to death!!! Recordings come out the way I want without much eq or tracking compression. I tried the Reference Cardiod. It's a beautiful design and case, but IMO a terrible sounding mic. Reminded me of cheap Chinese condensers. I also think u87's suck but in a different way...much too bland. The only mic that ever came close to the C800G in term of quality was the Soundelux u99...but I'd still pick the Sony any day.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Addict

re

I don't have any link with that girl.

i have manley reference and It's similar, but not the same.

My Immortal - Evanescence (Cheyenne Cover) - YouTube
Old 30th May 2015
Here for the gear

i have tested the Sony c800 and the Manley ref mic for a few days :
the Sony c800 is very old school to me
the Manley ref mic was wider and bigger sounding more modern sounding

Manley it is! check it with your own ears ..
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagybear View Post
the Manley ref mic was wider and bigger sounding more modern sounding

Manley it is! check it with your own ears ..

The Manley Ref C and Neumann U47fet together will cost less than a C800G and give you two options.
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post

The Akita is a custom hand made microphone. The components in these mics are the best available and we have options for better capsules. The transformer in this mic is one once used by Sony and sounds outstanding, The Akita comes standard with an ADK TT capsule.

The three capsule upgrades ADK GK67, Neumann K67 re-skin and a new Neumann K67 are some of the best capsules available for any microphone anywhere.

The ADK GK67 is tuned slightly warmer and the Neumann having that classic detailed sound. Both capsules sound outstanding.

I might suggest the GK-12 capsule or the original TT capsule are closer the the 800G than the GK-67 or other 67 flavors. More presence for Male Pop Vox.

Check out Rise Against "Black Market" to hear a Z-12 in on Male Vocals.

Cheers!

Larry V / ADK)))
Old 31st May 2015
Here for the gear

Only Sony C800G.

Very low distortion because preamp signal goes separately to: low, mid, hi.

True gem.
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Stardust View Post
Only Sony C800G.

Very low distortion because preamp signal goes separately to: low, mid, hi.

True gem.
Not to be to in full school teacher mode but how so?

According to the schematic, what makes the C800G rather bold and big sounding is that it sends full broadband signal through the 6AU6A tube and utilizes a larger than typical cathode bypass capacitor to shave off top end through simple broad band compression principles. I haven't seen a version of the schematic where the signal is separated into 3 different mulit-band frequency ranges....There are definitely 3 tubes in the C800G "system," but two of them are used to regulate the power supply they don't act as preamplifier tubes. The tube inside the microphone body itself is the single preamp tube. It does a fantastic job of presenting a gorgeous sounding end result in my opinion.

I think the Ref C does sound pretty big in its own flavor, the circuit itself presents a different approach to a clean and clear modern pop sound. I find the Ref C has more in common with a 251 than a C800G to be honest. The Ref C is definitely a cleaner sounding microphone though, the 251 utilizing a very old school iron and plate follower topology compared to the cathode follower and large output low ratio/low impact on tone circuitry of the Ref C.

Peace
Illumination
Old 3rd June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Not to be to in full school teacher mode but how so?

According to the schematic, what makes the C800G rather bold and big sounding is that it sends full broadband signal through the 6AU6A tube and utilizes a larger than typical cathode bypass capacitor to shave off top end through simple broad band compression principles. I haven't seen a version of the schematic where the signal is separated into 3 different mulit-band frequency ranges....There are definitely 3 tubes in the C800G "system," but two of them are used to regulate the power supply they don't act as preamplifier tubes. The tube inside the microphone body itself is the single preamp tube. It does a fantastic job of presenting a gorgeous sounding end result in my opinion.

I think the Ref C does sound pretty big in its own flavor, the circuit itself presents a different approach to a clean and clear modern pop sound. I find the Ref C has more in common with a 251 than a C800G to be honest. The Ref C is definitely a cleaner sounding microphone though, the 251 utilizing a very old school iron and plate follower topology compared to the cathode follower and large output low ratio/low impact on tone circuitry of the Ref C.

Peace
Illumination
Yes. You are right probably my english is the problem.
reduced distortion was because of separate tube cooling part.

My bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm8Ine1AGVc
Old 3rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Stardust View Post
Yes. You are right probably my english is the problem.
reduced distortion was because of separate tube cooling part.

My bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm8Ine1AGVc
Oh dear. Never trust a salesman with technical information

The cooling is to improve noise performance, not distortion. You could perhaps say that the temperature control helps keep the distortion characteristic constant, but it doesn't reduce it. It's a class A tube design. The level of distortion is set by the operating point, it is inherent in the tube curves. Most people like this distortion.
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Nut
I have a C800G and I like the way it sounds but I am selling it and keeping my Telefunken 251. The Sony has a clean sound right off the bat and the 251 has a smooth Neumann like sound but different and more clear. I can easily make the 251 sound similar to the Sony with EQ and be happy with the sound. I've not run into any of the sibilance problems people mention with the Sony. If you want that clean sound, you sure picked some good mics. If you want a clean, bright, and smooth sound, consider a 251.

I have also heard the Ref. C in a ton of different situations because I was considering it before I got the Sony. The Ref. C has a brighter and cleaner sound than the Sony from what I've heard. It's a sort of metallic sound. The Sony has a similar sound if you boost the high end at around 8500 Hz by like 8 decibels. If you are looking for a C800G type of sound and KNOW that this is the sound you want then I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Sony or the Manley. In my experience though, it's easier to brighten a mic without extra gear than it is to darken one.

Last edited by LuisV; 6th June 2015 at 03:17 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search