The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wow: Brauner Valvet-X.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Wow: Brauner Valvet-X.

I decided to buy one of these and try it without even hearing it, after what I had read here on Gear Slutz and a few reviews.

I wanted a modern mic with pristine highs to complement the more vintage-y mics I have access to. Well, god DAMN!!! This thing is outrageous, in my opinion, and I now go to it first more than most of the other mics (I'm not going to list those there in order to keep a flame war from happening -- but they're a lot of the $$$ classic mics we all know and love).

Rich, luscious, and modern sounding without being clinical, and a wonderful high end that's not exaggerated like many other modern tube mics out there, and sits incredibly well in many tracks. Very sensitive, and it also works fantastically on acoustic guitar and stand-up bass. Like any great mic it doesn't fit with everything, but like I said I now go to it first, usually, unless I'm going for a specific sound that I need from another mic.
Old 27th November 2011
Enjoy it. I still love my Valvet... Brauner just makes great mics. I can't imagine how his big shot mics (VMA, VM1, VMX, etc.) must sound.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Enjoy it. I still love my Valvet... Brauner just makes great mics. I can't imagine how his big shot mics (VMA, VM1, VMX, etc.) must sound.
I know, eh? The Valvet X holds its own and even betters some of the mega-expensive ones, in some cases. At some point I'll have to go for one of the big shot ones. heh
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Valvet X is a very very special mic without that "clinical" high of the VM-serie's. The Valvet-X is my favo Brauner mic all time that I try'd outside my own mic locker. If I cross one for sale... I sell a organ for it...
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
The Valvet X is a very very special mic without that "clinical" high of the VM-serie's. The Valvet-X is my favo Brauner mic all time that I try'd outside my own mic locker. If I cross one for sale... I sell a organ for it...
Hello All!
Which kind of MicPres do you use?
Thanks!
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaci View Post
Hello All!
Thanks!
I did use a 1073DPA with it. My standard vocalchain is
MIC that suits the artist->Neve 1073DPA->1176->La2a->SSL Alphalink->Protools.
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The VM1 is one of the best microphones I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Brauner makes incredible stuff.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Valvet X. IME it's a mic that seemingly makes the vocalist open the front door of the speaker cabinet and enter the room.

Henk
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

I am pretty sure that had this mic existed in the Fifties it would now be one of the most sought after "vintage" mics. But since many people only want what they already know they go for the old sound. I don't care about the classic convention of what sounds "good". "Good" can be so much more. So the Valvet X is probably my most beloved microphone. It is a unique voice mic with pure magic poured into it. It does not really resemble the Valvet, BTW. Nor does it resemble the other Brauners much, except for the basic "pristine" quality. It's a class of its own. As is the Brauner Phanthera V, which also sounds completely different from the rest of the family (and also not like the Valvet X).

Valvet X cuts through almost any mix, but still finds a way to sound warm and golden. I love it. For many voices I prefer it over the big guns from Brauner.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaci View Post
Hello All!
Thanks!
I use Valvet X with clean preamps mostly. Lake People F355 is a good match for intruments. But I also love it with SPL's Frontliner (especially for voice material), so that I can treat the incoming signal to a fully processed sound quality before it hits the A/D-converter.
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear
Is the high end on the Valvet X more pronounced than on the VMA and VMX? I've found those mics to be really nice, but whilst liking their warmth, there isn't enough up top for me. Especially on my own voice that always needs a gentle lift from about 2k up.
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Brauner is one of my favorite mic brands. For a reason.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I am pretty sure that had this mic existed in the Fifties it would now be one of the most sought after "vintage" mics. But since many people only want what they already know they go for the old sound. I don't care about the classic convention of what sounds "good". "Good" can be so much more. So the Valvet X is probably my most beloved microphone. It is a unique voice mic with pure magic poured into it. It does not really resemble the Valvet, BTW. Nor does it resemble the other Brauners much, except for the basic "pristine" quality. It's a class of its own. As is the Brauner Phanthera V, which also sounds completely different from the rest of the family (and also not like the Valvet X).

Valvet X cuts through almost any mix, but still finds a way to sound warm and golden. I love it. For many voices I prefer it over the big guns from Brauner.
Have you per chance been able to compare the Valvet X against The Phantom V ? My interest is mainly male vocals low tenor upper baritone ( mine) and acoustic guitar thoughts? I have the Phantom V which I use for my voice and sometimes for acoustic guitar. P.S I use an A designs MP2A pre
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Have you per chance been able to compare the Valvet X against The Phantom V ? My interest is mainly male vocals low tenor upper baritone ( mine) and acoustic guitar thoughts? I have the Phantom V which I use for my voice and sometimes for acoustic guitar. P.S I use an A designs MP2A pre
I have. Try to translate through knowledge: Phantom V is FET; Phanthera V is transformer; Valvet X is transformer plus tube. So the Phantom is rather straight and natural, Phanthera has the typical dynamics and liveliness of transformer based amps and Valvet X has the liveliness combined with harmonics and natural compression associated with tubes. So if you're looking for some more exciting sound than you can get from a Phantom V, you should definately try out the Phanthera or if you are looking for something very outspoken, detailed and airy, yet smokey and warm try the Valvet X. Valvet X has a very hot output, so many good preamps will work fine with it.

Note that not all voices are helped by Valvet X as it is so revealing. Phanthera (V) is more friendly to a lot of voices, but also less carved out in sonic detail. As always this may be good or less desired, depending on your needs. Valvet X demands very good voice control as it will expose any flaws in speaking/singing technique.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

I love my Phanthera and am open to get a Valvet X if it's different enough.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have. Try to translate through knowledge: Phantom V is FET; Phanthera V is transformer; Valvet X is transformer plus tube. So the Phantom is rather straight and natural, Phanthera has the typical dynamics and liveliness of transformer based amps and Valvet X has the liveliness combined with harmonics and natural compression associated with tubes. So if you're looking for some more exciting sound than you can get from a Phantom V, you should definately try out the Phanthera or if you are looking for something very outspoken, detailed and airy, yet smokey and warm try the Valvet X. Valvet X has a very hot output, so many good preamps will work fine with it.

Note that not all voices are helped by Valvet X as it is so revealing. Phanthera (V) is more friendly to a lot of voices, but also less carved out in sonic detail. As always this may be good or less desired, depending on your needs. Valvet X demands very good voice control as it will expose any flaws in speaking/singing technique.
Thanks ,Kev
Old 28th November 2011
I'm just not sure, if I should buy a second Brauner, let's say the VMX or VM1, when I already have the Valvet. I think it'd be better to go a different sonical way for the 3rd mic. I'd like to have another sound compared to my Valvet and M149.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

À diff kind of sound? High quality? Royer ribbon tube mic. Very very nice on female vocals, has à excellent handling of siblance sources.... And just sound 9out10 Great on everything...
Old 28th November 2011
Yeah, tested that one once, together with a AEA. Ribbon could be a nice choice. Or maybe a Telefunken Elam 251 much choices there.

Let's finish this OT
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

I'll add that the two I tried (one of which I own; the other one I rented and made me order mine) sound(ed) somewhat different. Both very, very nice though and it's hard to say which I liked best. As a matter of fact, I'd love to own them both.
The rented one sounded very precise in the high frequencies, especially for an LDC, and somewhat tight down below. Mine has more oomph as well as character, but is not quite as "fast" on top. To make sure my memory wasn't playing tricks with me, I rented the older one once more and A/B-ed it with mine. Yep, exactly what I thought I remembered.
I then very carefully opened both to see if I could find any obvious differences. Other than the white plastic capsule holder in mine (vs. black in the older one) the only difference I saw was one different colored cap viz. black vs. blue. Oh, and the miniature tube that is soldered in had long legs or contacts in the older one, so the tube wasn't in the way of other parts. In mine they were shorter and bent to make way.
Don't know if that cap has anything to with it, though. Maybe it's more likely a different tensioning of the membrane.

Perhaps Dirk could chime in? I think I've seen him here before.

Henk
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Brauner makes amazing mic's. I have the Brauner CD which shows you examples of the different mic's. The Valvet is on it, but the newer Valvet X is not. However it does have the other mic's and there is a slight but clear difference with the voicing VMX (Valvet X family) compared to the clearer top end VM1 (Valvet family).

When you want a bright clear top end with all the detail the Valvet is the way to go. The Valvet X has a little less top end with a touch low mid fowardness (some would say a little more character). Both are great, and with some voices the Valvet is better and on other the Valvet X may be a better choice. The Valvet (and X) are my favorite mic's by Brauner. The higher end VM1 is like being outside looking at the country side. It is super super clean and detailed. The Valvet and Valvet X is like looking outside through a large clean high quality double pane glass window. It adds a little density to the sound which I say is the character of the mic. I love it. It does pick up every little thing in the room so my SE Reflection filter is very helpful.
These mic's do hold up against any other tube mic out there. Just great quality behind every mic and the Vovox cable is an added plus that it comes with.
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rOk.stA View Post
I love my Phanthera and am open to get a Valvet X if it's different enough.
I have posted a few male vox samples here: Brauner phantom phanthera and valvet x cardiod
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

I use mine with either an Avalon M1, a massively modded Chameleon Labs 7602, a UA 610, or an Overstayer Channel Amplifier...depends on what the sound I'm going for is, of course.

With the Avalon the Valvet X is insanely detailed -- breathtakingly so. On the other side of the fence is the 610, which is a little creamier and forgiving. Like any great mic you will definitely notice the different in pres with the Valvet X.
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

Does anybody have a sample of the Valvet X on male vocals in the context of a mix?

Thanks
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

why couldnt they just make it omni directional i would have gotten it....
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
why couldnt they just make it omni directional i would have gotten it....
Because the sound it gives comes from the fact that it has a directional capsule: front terminated, back non-terminated passive membrane, or in the newer model a metal backplate. It's not a pressure membrane or two-sided directional, which would be needed for an omni pattern. Part of the Valvet X's strong points is its very low noise, which is only achievable with a single sided capsule (only one preamp).
Old 27th February 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Because the sound it gives comes from the fact that it has a directional capsule: front terminated, back non-terminated passive membrane, or in the newer model a metal backplate. It's not a pressure membrane or two-sided directional, which would be needed for an omni pattern. Part of the Valvet X's strong points is its very low noise, which is only achievable with a single sided capsule (only one preamp).
Have you compared the Phanthera V to the Phanthera pure cardioid? If so, how much different are they?
Old 27th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sota Kidd View Post
Have you compared the Phanthera V to the Phanthera pure cardioid? If so, how much different are they?
They sound exactly the same in cardiod mode
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Head

Valvet X is definitely more colored than the original valvet, or any of the other Brauners. I used all of their models on several occasions, and to me the Valvet X is the most 'vintage' sounding of the lot, more so than the VMX. The VMX seems to me like a slightly more driven version of the VM1, still close though - the valvet X is a bit less bright, seems to have a fuller more saturated low mid range (by no means clogged up), and more smoothed out hi mids and highs, although still very detailed. It compresses a bit more too.
Fantastic mics for vocals and anything in need of impact and detail. Try them on handpercussion, drums, any kind of guitars.. I was lucky to get two of them at a summer sale Brauner did some years ago. The lack of variable polar patterns doesn't bother me at all, and variable patterns would have brought the price up to that of the VM1 / VMX.
Old 30th January 2018
I've always wondered where the Valvet Voice sits in this pantheon. It's no longer made, but it was a differently tuned version of the original Valvet. I think the Transaudio folks helped Dirk pick a different tube. Both mics could be switched between omni and cardioid. The Voice is not as blazingly bright on top as its sibling, but still "never a full moment". I have serial number 3, and it never fails to impress folks when they hear it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search