The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EMT 140, keep or sell?
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman

Plate sounds like somebody running a velcro lawnmower in a Quonset hut covered with a flaming circus tent.
and "a tube that's as noisy as using a hoover to suck the hair off of a cat in the subway"

The metaphors in this thread as slicker than deer guts on a doorknob heh

DP
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 17th April 2006
Lives for gear

Philip - cool studio!

Hälsningar,
skägget
Old 1st May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi everyone! One emt and the stocktronicreverb is now for sale in Göteborg, Sweden.

in swedish http://www.annonsdirekt.se/asp/soegn...onceid=4174863
Old 1st May 2006
Motown legend

Actually EMT stopped making plates because they ran out of the batch of steel that gave the 140s their distinctive sound.

There's nothing quite like two of them set to different decay times. The recent convolution versions probably come the closest but don't quite have the density.
Old 1st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip
Thanks everyone for the input!
Extremly cool console you have there @ mosterstudion.com

Lycka till/Oscar
Old 1st May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
I LOVE the 140 as much as the next guy, but come on! It really is just a matter of time.

i'm not as confident in this as i once was; actually, i no longer believe it. and i wanted to stick a 'sad' emoticon at the end of that phrase, and just now realized there is no sad emoticon. thank god, though, there is an alien and death, which looks more like a jawa than a grim reaper.

it is actually possible that there are electromagnetic and electronic processes that cannot be modeled, duplicated, or surpassed in the realm of mathematics. tape, i believe, is one such process. the resonance of a plate of steel may be another.

really, you'd think someone somewhere would've outdone at least one quality piece of hardware by now. 42, 140, la2a, 1084... nothin'!

don't let me rain on your parade though; i will GLADLY admit when i've been shown to be wrong!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 1st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i'm not as confident in this as i once was; actually, i no longer believe it. and i wanted to stick a 'sad' emoticon at the end of that phrase, and just now realized there is no sad emoticon. thank god, though, there is an alien and death, which looks more like a jawa than a grim reaper.

it is actually possible that there are electromagnetic and electronic processes that cannot be modeled, duplicated, or surpassed in the realm of mathematics. tape, i believe, is one such process. the resonance of a plate of steel may be another.

really, you'd think someone somewhere would've outdone at least one quality piece of hardware by now. 42, 140, la2a, 1084... nothin'!

don't let me rain on your parade though; i will GLADLY admit when i've been shown to be wrong!

gregoire
del ubik
We can check back on this thread in 10 or 15 years and see where we are. heh You should note I didn't say it has been surpassed, but that it most likely would be given time and advancements in modeling, computer power and speed, ect....
Old 1st May 2006
Lives for gear

The biggest problem is the needed attention to detail to make it an exact copy. It is easy to make something look like a replica, but it is not easy to make an exact one.

Kind regards,

Harrie
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob View Post
We can check back on this thread in 10 or 15 years and see where we are. heh You should note I didn't say it has been surpassed, but that it most likely would be given time and advancements in modeling, computer power and speed, ect....
Here's your 10-year check: not much progress to report, please check back in 10 years..
Old 13th April 2015
mixmixmix
"outrun by plugins"?

Those plugins can hardly walk, they need a wheelchair!
Old 13th April 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
Here's your 10-year check: not much progress to report, please check back in 10 years..
Haha, lexicon is 30 years old and plugin software has _almost_ catched up with pcm60.
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear

Keep both like my buddy with two old XKEs: one to drive and the other one for parts. One of the best Bluegrass engineers in Nashville has two 140 plates in his garage that he hasn't used for many years. The memory of historical greatness that they produced with a whole array of analog gear of their vintage in the old days makes it hard to part with them. At some point he may decide his car has more current relevance in his life than the magic memory of the old plates and as such will probably replace the great old reverbs in the garage with his car that he uses every day.
Old 13th April 2015
I am going to pickup a old EMT140 in a couple weeks. its pretty beat up and run down. Sounds bad. Gonna bring this sucker back to life and put it next to Ed's "new" Pluto Plate!
Old 13th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I am going to pickup a old EMT140 in a couple weeks. its pretty beat up and run down. Sounds bad. Gonna bring this sucker back to life and put it next to Ed's "new" Pluto Plate!
Beware the asbestos Doc.
Old 13th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
Beware the asbestos Doc.
We will put the metal hazmat suits into action! Full Metal Jacket
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
That's awesome. What made you check this 10 year old thread?
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by softshoe View Post
That's awesome. What made you check this 10 year old thread?
I'm researching plates and this thread came up. I'm buying an Ecoplate 2, and wanted to know about its internals and if I could install it horizontally like a mattress. Found out the answer is an emphatic no.

It's so funny how not much has changed, UAD still sends out "Tips for using EMT 140", a plugin that made me barf even 10 years ago and before I ever heard a clip of a real plate. Thank god we're in high end and I don't have to deal with UAD fanboys
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Thing View Post
Actually, they have been outrun by other products for about 30 years now, otherwise EMT would still make them.

What's impossible to outrun, though, is the sound quality and the warmth and musicality of these plates.

Fortunately there's still enough engineers with a decent set of ears around, who prefer to use real plates. These machines won't be redundant as long as you or I or anybody else on this forum lives.
I'd keep them both.

Tom
I heard EMT couldn't make them anymore. They finished their stock of metal sheets and they couldn't find plates able to deliver the same sound quality. Not sure if that's true or just a myth.
Old 14th April 2015
Gear Nut

I have 2 EMT 140's both Stereo, but one is missing the stereo Amplifier module. Anyone got one they wand to sell? I would take tube or transistor version, but must be stereo.
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I heard EMT couldn't make them anymore. They finished their stock of metal sheets and they couldn't find plates able to deliver the same sound quality. Not sure if that's true or just a myth.
I am fairly certain that this is true.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search