The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When is somebody gonna do a Sta-Level plug? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear
When is somebody gonna do a Sta-Level plug?

Seems like I read something in Tape Op that made me think they would...but they could have been referring to the Doublewide. I know Dave Piescura just joined on with Phil Moore and he has friends at Universal Audio. I'm hoping UA surprises us with it soon. Of course, this is all speculation.
Old 20th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Seems like I read something in Tape Op that made me think they would...but they could have been referring to the Doublewide. I know Dave Piescura just joined on with Phil Moore and he has friends at Universal Audio. I'm hoping UA surprises us with it soon. Of course, this is all speculation.
Don't know about that, but getting a Retro Sta have ended my lust for plugins, only hardware from this point onwards
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
When is somebody gonna do a Sta-Level plug?
"The Sta-Level is great!"

There you go.
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texum View Post
Don't know about that, but getting a Retro Sta have ended my lust for plugins, only hardware from this point onwards
Well, I've got one too, but it would be nice to have 20 of them...Also, if it came close, it would be nice to have $2200 back...
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah, the Tape-Op thing was a play on words teasing the Doublewide... as you PLUG it in to the 500 series rack - don't think they are doing a software version any time soon (but I hope i'm wrong)
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Not the STA, but Sknote have developed and marketed a Gates SA39 plugin compressor/limiter emulation. I haven't been in the same room as an original hardware unit, but I liked the plug enough to buy it. It was under $50 IIRC. As a software comp, it's a beauty.
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, I've got one too, but it would be nice to have 20 of them...Also, if it came close, it would be nice to have $2200 back...
Not so sure about that, perhaps having 20 in a mix would obscure the character, dunno... I'd like two, thoughheh.

There's just something about the depth of that thing...
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
"The Sta-Level is great!"

There you go.

LOL
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I talked to a plugin company a year or two ago that they should do the Sta-Level because I'm a fan of it too. Didn't get an overwhelming response... I'm not sure if they had heard it.
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Nut

Liquid Mix has an emulation, if anyone is interested.
Old 22nd November 2011
What's the going rate for an actual Gates Sta-Level compressor? I notice there's one of ebait for $3600 but this seems awfully high to me.
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I would absolutely love an STA-Level Plug. That would rule my world. Currently using La2a plug by UAD. 2 instances actually, both hitting lightly at 2-3db. Sounds awesome with good front end in place and Pulteq plug afterwards, but would love the STA-Level plug, even if it was a clone of the Retro.
Old 9th September 2014
Gear Guru
I know it's an old thread but SKnote did a Sta-Level emulation, I like a lot but have zero experience with the real thing....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search