The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there anything ITB so sweet as AD2055 Equalizer Plugins
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo
It often amuses me a little that absolute pros like Michael Brauer, George Massenburg, Eddie Kramer, Tchad Blake, Dave Pensado and many many more do (and like doing) stuff that a bunch of amateurs, semi-pros and (hardware) salespeople consider absolutely inacceptable sonically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
So true on Gearslutz! This is signature-worthy.

Regards,
Frank

Why are you guys trying to make ITB/OTB war thread out of this really nice discussion ? Don't get it really .... I know this is Internet forum and everybody can be a party breaker but man go find a girlfriend or make your own music the way nobody ever did before.

Man Massenburg, Eddie , Tchad Blake,Pensado etc ...they don't even know who you are and they can use and say whatever they want man . This guys have full racks of top notch hardware and are software endorsers and of course they are not going to tell you "don't buy plug ins go get the real **** "

Wake up man !
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass man View Post
Why are you guys trying to make ITB/OTB war thread out of this really nice discussion ? Don't get it really .... I know this is Internet forum and everybody can be a party breaker but man go find a girlfriend or make your own music the way nobody ever did before.

Man Massenburg, Eddie , Tchad Blake,Pensado etc ...they don't even know who you are and they can use and say whatever they want man . This guys have full racks of top notch hardware and are software endorsers and of course they are not going to tell you "don't buy plug ins go get the real **** "

Wake up man !
Lol - best response ever!

I'm not making it an ITB/OTB war. Just thought that comment was great!

Hahaha--- I have a smoking hot fiancee, so no worries there. I'm not an engineer - I make a living as a full time musician, so I get paid pretty good already to make music.

I could care less if Dave Pensado knows me. On second thought, maybe he does. In that case, sorry Dave.

And I must be awake if I'm here typing, otherwise I'm sleep walking again.

Regards,
Frank
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

For boosting highs I would also add the Abbey Road Brilliance Pack to the list of plugins to try.
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Easy Nenad, no reason for hard feelings. I was not trying to make this an ITB OTB discussion, I pointed out a fact that opposes your and fletchers opinion, no more no less. Those top mixers and many more love and use software eqs whereas many guys who are not on that level think software eqs are unuseable because of their lacking sound quality, this is a fact not an attack.

Btw you can send me the mix you used the 2055 on for air and I can run it through the 747 so you can hear the difference, email me if you like.
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
Easy Nenad, no reason for hard feelings. I was not trying to make this an ITB OTB discussion, I pointed out a fact that opposes your and fletchers opinion, no more no less. Those top mixers and many more love and use software eqs whereas many guys who are not on that level think software eqs are unuseable because of their lacking sound quality, this is a fact not an attack.

Btw you can send me the mix you used the 2055 on for air and I can run it through the 747 so you can hear the difference, email me if you like.

Its you Florian ? You changed your nick and avatar didn't recognize you ...

Everything is cool , just sometimes I get allergic on GS with people destroying every decent conversation just because they can ....

I am going to pick up the 747 today for the test , if I like it - Ill keep it . Thanks for your offer .

BTW I mix ITB and don't hate plug ins - I am actually very grateful for the simplicity of the work flow ITB and nice plugs like Lexicon , flux ,softube etc ... Unfortunately I haven't seen anything ITB like Manley , TC Phoenix or Ad 2055 ....
I was looking for EQ which can give me nice polish on the 2 buss over my carefully sculpted mix . Putting something like flux or any other ITB EQ on the mix buss is just not working - unfortunately ...
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Yes it´s me

When trying the 747 make sure to try out the combo moves of lifting the air band up high while dipping the high band down low, the combination of those two sliders is really where it´s at. Don´t spend too much time with the compressor section, it is extremely gefinkelt to precisely find settings that work well and very easy to make it sound ****ty with all other settings.
Another thing to try is to use much input gain with the +10 button and input pot and then take it down with the output control so you are driving the 747 in a hotter way so that it eventually saturates some peaks away. However the extreme output pot padding results in slightly off balance left and right channels which could have only been avoided through stepped pots which the 747 does not have.
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear
I would try the Algorithmix EQs if I were you. They are really wonderful and might get you at, near, or beyond what you're achieving with the Avalon (which itself is a marvelous piece in my opinion).
Old 17th November 2011
Gear Nut

GEQ-8300 EQ (GML8200) programs by CDSoundmaster (Nebula).
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Had an hour today with 747 - amazing !
Eq section is on the same level with 2055 only limited but very nice limited . It has the exact same air as 2055 and the low end is even better to my ears ....
Tube path engaged gave it little more sparkle and made it somehow wider . Comp is very tricky but interesting , I need to spend some time with it but I have a good feeling about it . Pre Eq ( EQ first into comp ) with very gentle compression max 1 db ( Vu isn't even moving ) is very interesting option . Side chain is a big mystery - couldn't understand it so quickly ....

I wish there was a main bypass switch on the unit which is bypassing all the functions of the unit - that would be a great help .

Its definitely made for final touch - polishing of already great sounding mix giving it more air , very sophisticated sparkle and dimension .

I am very excited about 747 and look forward to get to work with it .....
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
Confusionator[/LEFT];7240934]I would try the
Algorithmix
EQs
if I were you. They are really wonderful and might get you at, near, or beyond what you're achieving with the Avalon (which itself is a marvelous piece in my opinion).

I worked with it , very cool Plug in indeed . Little expensive for a software if I remember correctly...
Old 18th November 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alooker View Post
the mdw sounds awesome, add touch of wide boost at 18k, take out a little at 200 to taste and the mix opens up. Sounds great and leaves the 8200 redundant in the rack for now...

add: as Mr Miller says the V series are great too, use them all the time and the top end is gorgeous (I haven't used them on busses yet though)

I've heard nothing but great things about the mdw equalizer but still haven't ever used one. I hope that changes soon.
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Had an hour today with 747 - amazing !
Eq section is on the same level with 2044 only limited but very nice limited . It has the exact same air as 2055 and the low end is even better to my ears ....
Tube path engaged gave it little more sparkle and made it somehow wider . Comp is very tricky but interesting , I need to spend some time with it but I have a good feeling about it . Pre Eq ( EQ first into comp ) with very gentle compression max 1 db ( Vu isn't even moving ) is very interesting option . Side chain is a big mystery - couldn't understand it so quickly ....

I wish there was a main bypass switch on the unit which is bypassing all the functions of the unit - that would be a great help .

Its definitely made for final touch - polishing of already great sounding mix giving it more air , very sophisticated sparkle and dimension .

I am very excited about 747 and look forward to get to work with it .....
Not being a Jerk, you need to correct the bold print, don't understand, 2044 is not a eq.
And I will say if people do not know how to use the AD2044 then don't bother, even though it's not a fast compressor they are magic settings on the compressor that is like no other. 2044 is not my favorite compressor but my Rock and Roll clients like it better than the API 2500 on the buss. The 2044 is one of those units that is not a plug and play, again there is real magic in the unit if you know the tricks.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

haha, see, I toooold ya!

if you want to explore the compressor then here are my tips:
1-don't set the compression by looking at the VU, the VU is way too slow and shows maybe half of the actual Gain reduction at best. Instead, look at the blue light that lights up as soon as it kicks in to find the right spot for the threshold.

2- use fast to medium fast attacks

3- even slow releases are pretty fast it seems, it is worth trying even the very slow ones.

4- the ratio is a bitch and interacts with the threshold. sometimes the GR disappears when you lower the ratio.

5-I only found ratios around 2:1 - 3:1 useable, higher ratios tend to be too obvious IMHO

6- the sidechain eq bands work "the other way round": you turn them clockwise and they dip the frequency in the sidechain, you turn them ccw and they boost that frequency.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Not being a Jerk, you need to correct the bold print, don't understand, 2044 is not a eq.
And I will say if people do not know how to use the AD2044 then don't bother, even though it's not a fast compressor they are magic settings on the compressor that is like no other. 2044 is not my favorite compressor but my Rock and Roll clients like it better than the API 2500 on the buss. The 2044 is one of those units that is not a plug and play, again there is real magic in the unit if you know the tricks.

I was talking about 2055 .. Typo ...
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Servas,
the UAD Manley has a stellar highend for a plugin, harmonics included. On the cheap side there is a portico eq emulation, also with harmonics generation, from ddmf which astounded me lately, I think it is called 6144.
Flo
I was going to mention the DDMF 6144 for its "air". Really good ITB EQ!
Other than that, PSP NobleQ and PreQursor (sQuad bundle) are sweet up there.

Can't think of better algo ITB EQ's for air.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
haha, see, I toooold ya!

if you want to explore the compressor then here are my tips:
1-don't set the compression by looking at the VU, the VU is way too slow and shows maybe half of the actual Gain reduction at best. Instead, look at the blue light that lights up as soon as it kicks in to find the right spot for the threshold.

2- use fast to medium fast attacks

3- even slow releases are pretty fast it seems, it is worth trying even the very slow ones.

4- the ratio is a bitch and interacts with the threshold. sometimes the GR disappears when you lower the ratio.

5-I only found ratios around 2:1 - 3:1 useable, higher ratios tend to be too obvious IMHO

6- the sidechain eq bands work "the other way round": you turn them clockwise and they dip the frequency in the sidechain, you turn them ccw and they boost that frequency.

Exactly .

I got the way the sidechain works , but the way it sounds is .....well strange
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Maniac

This is a pretty old thread now, but I thought of just making mention of acoustica audios amber 2. Personally I haven't heard algo plugs sounds as good as the technology these guys are using (dynamic convolution). From what I gather, the amber 2 is based on the Avalon eq u mention. Check it out and tell me it's not remarkable what it sounds like for a plug.
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecorner View Post
This is a pretty old thread now, but I thought of just making mention of acoustica audios amber 2. Personally I haven't heard algo plugs sounds as good as the technology these guys are using (dynamic convolution). From what I gather, the amber 2 is based on the Avalon eq u mention. Check it out and tell me it's not remarkable what it sounds like for a plug.
exactly. sounds very very good for a plug.
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I worked with it , very cool Plug in indeed . Little expensive for a software if I remember correctly...
Hey Bass Man and Confusionator,

Just a quick note that we’ll be releasing a modern (32 & 64 bit in all common formats), improved fidelity version of the LP PEQ Orange soon and later the other “colors” as well…

MAAT thEQorange

OMas
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

Wake up man !
A good engineer with crap tools will give better results than a crap engineer with good tools.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
A good engineer with crap tools will give better results than a crap engineer with good tools.
Unless you're a plumber...
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I have bought the ad2055 some months ago and I think it’s one of the best investment I ever made.
No plugin come close to this for me and I’ve tried nearly all of them (ua, waves, sonnox, flux, fabfilter, dmg and so on).
It sounds classy, sweet, rich.
It will stay here no mather what.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search