The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape Technicians in the Philadelphia Area Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Tape Technicians in the Philadelphia Area

Hi, I just picked up a used Revox B77 tape deck and I'm looking to have it calibrated. Does anyone know where to find a technician in the Philadelphia, PA area?
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

They are very simple units to work on. I presently own two A77s. Just like other reel to reel equipment, there's a work-flow method to their calibration. Being in the Philadelphia area, there must be scores of technicians in your area. Can you check your phone book listings or call some studios nearby that can lead you in the right direction.

Dennis
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
They are very simple units to work on. I presently own two A77s. Just like other reel to reel equipment, there's a work-flow method to their calibration. Being in the Philadelphia area, there must be scores of technicians in your area. Can you check your phone book listings or call some studios nearby that can lead you in the right direction.

Dennis
Thanks! Do you work on your own? Do you know of any resources for the "work-flow method to their calibration".
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Yes I work on and repair (down to the component) and calibrate most of my own equipment. I was always into electronics from a young age and after I started to form my own studio about thirty years ago, I found it much more economic to be able to do most of my own repairs.

The work-flow for setting up a tape machine is first you have to know that the machine is clean and demagnetized. The next thing is making sure that the tape itself is spooling from the supply reel through the head stack and unto the take-up reel properly and with the correct tension. The next step is calibrating the playback electronics and this can only be accurately done with a properly pre-recorded "test tape" from such a company as MRL (Magnetic Research Laboratory). There are a series of recorded frequencies at a consistent level to be able to set your azimuth, playback level and equalization of your recorder. The actual mechanical alignment of all the heads is a very critical part of this set-up procedure. After this is done, you now can adjust the recorder for the bias and record equalization with the recording tape that you plan to use on this machine.

This is basically the format. The test tapes are a bit expensive depending on the width of the tape your machine uses, yours is 1/4". There are other variations with test tapes such as "reference fluxivity" which pertains to how much level actually gets recorded on your tapes when your meters read 0 vu, and also something called "equalization", which on your machine, you'll be using the NAB standard.

This is basically how it goes, but there are a lot of little intricacies involved in this process.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Dennis
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

It does, thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

You're not too far from JRF Magnetics, who are in New Jersey
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Nut

Gene Kane...Phoenix Audio in northeast Philly...
if he is still in business (haven't seen for a few years)
he is the BEST.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

I emailed Studio Logic Sound and they recommended Gene as well.

Just spoke with him. He says he doesn't see too many tape machines anymore but I'm hoping to bring it in when he has time between fixing people's power amps.

The machine physically looks to be in great condition, so I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Nut

I need to bump this from its place buried way back in the sands of time.

Does anyone know a good Philly area tech? When I called Gene a few years back he simply berated me for even buying a tape machine

Anyone know a good tech who isn't a complete jackass? Even just a general electronics technician who knows their **** and isn't a goon.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search