The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where did Paul Wolf go? Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Where did Paul Wolf go?

Where did Paul Wolf go?

I was recently looking for ways to rack my 500 series Eqs, and ended up on the API website and noticed something strange!!! Paul Wolf is missing!!!

I know that Paul Wolf left API a few years ago and started ToneLux.

But my shock was at the page ‘About us’ ->

An Abbreviated History of API!

There MAY be something wrong with the API site…
maybe when you click to enter… it takes you to a ‘Twilight Zone’ type area where Paul Wolf NEVER EXISTED!

This is funny, check it this timeline…

Quote:
(from the API website)
1977 Developed first micro-processor based crosspoint intercoms for use in broadcast and production, which became the basis for the discrete series bus assignment system

1991 First console manufactured utilizing touch-screen computer assignment for complete switch reset
OK, now I’m NOT an expert on API or Paul Wolf, but aren’t there some MAJOR things missing from this timeline?!?!

How about… 1988 Automated Processes Inc. is destitute and is in, or near bankruptcy. Paul Wolf buys company and over the next 10 years due to his GREAT designs and management, turns the company around and saves it from TOTAL and certain destruction!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a total fan of API… I have 7 mic pre’s ( 6 - 512c’s and 1 512-S) 10 Eqs ( 6 - 560’s and 4 - 550b’s ), but why leave out the guy that made the company what it is today?

I know the 550b is Paul’s work, does anyone know what else he designed while owning API?

- ALLEN WRENCH –
international superstar
Old 11th April 2006
Here for the gear

I believe the 2500 bus compressor , the 225L compressor,
and the whole 7600, 7800 ,8200 line were all Paul's ,
and don't forget the Vision Console .

Jon
Old 13th April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
You noticed that too, eh? It's like a "let's distance ourselves" campaign. Why else would they be touting the designs of someone I've never even heard of? Granted a name like Rupert Neve is something to crow about in print. But other than that, who can name the console designers? Swettenham, Putnam, Toft, Oram, Wolff, Hall, Harrison, Harned. After that, I'm drawing a blank.

Oh no... Toft and Oram mentioned in the same thread.... run!

LOL

heh
Old 13th April 2006

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
But other than that, who can name the console designers? Swettenham, Putnam, Toft, Oram, Wolff, Hall, Harrison, Harned. After that, I'm drawing a blank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new

LOL

heh
Great job Lynn, now this whole thread is going to be locked within a few minutes.. heh
Old 13th April 2006
Here for the gear

All this trouble !

To think I wanted to be an engine driver !

Old 13th April 2006
Here for the gear

................ or a fireman !

Old 14th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Good to see you here John......nice handkerchief.......
Old 14th April 2006
Gear Nut

oh, the father of british drumming. so that's where ringo got it from then ..

cheers,

Old 14th April 2006
Gear Head

He designed the 5502, which was the first thing he did, and by the way, one of the reasons that it sounded the way it did was because of an error with the shelving circuit, which made it more like a very wide peak. That's how most things become classics, small errors that become history. I heard that they are going to re-issue it, so we will see if it if like the original or like the 550B. I always felt bad for them, because everything was always compared to something else they made.

Then the 3124, 550B, 512B and C, the entire 200 series except the gate, which he had some X-SSL guy do, the Legacy (I read somewhere that he designed it in his closet at home because it was quiet or something), The Legacy Plus (that was when Jeff Bork came on and helped) the re-issue of the 525 with a balanced input, then the 2500 bus compressor (killer), then on to the Vision console for the guy in Europe.

I think there are 2 parts to a good designer. One is when he can come up with something new and innovative, and one where he can take something that was once done and make it affordable to sell again. He did both.
Old 14th April 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:

LOL

heh
oh no!
Old 14th April 2006
Quote:

LOL

heh
If Oram and Toft went hunting with Dick Cheny, who do you think would get shot first?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 14th April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
If Oram and Toft went hunting with Dick Cheny, who do you think would get shot first?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
That really did make me laugh out loud....
Old 14th April 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
That really did make me laugh out loud....

Me too.
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Chenny? Naw we couldn't that lucky!
Old 23rd March 2015
Here for the gear

I worked for Paul at API when he first bought the company and I know first hand that he saved it. It was a company worth saving and reflects the best in a USA made product. The consoles were all made by hand back then. Long hours and sleepless nights and I would do it all over again! Paul made it fun and enjoyable. Can't say that about many companies today! All the best Paul,
Darrin Ward
Old 23rd March 2015
Gear Nut

i remember saw online that paul wolf now works for slate media technology and contributed to the raven concept
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Tonelux/PMI

I talked to a PMI sales rep last month, I guess they now own tonelux, he said that they have a new tonelux console coming out that will sit inside the same frame as the new Trident 88, he said it's going to utilize the same tonelux opamps and transformers, it's going to be one complete strip, mic pre, eq, line amp, routing, all in one channel. It will be sold with the same channel count options as the Trident 88, 16, 24, 32, etc...
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Addict

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this going to be an Inline???
Old 28th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlack View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this going to be an Inline???
Sorry for the late reply, I'm not sure if it's going to be an inline, he said it's going to be the trident footprint/ frame, and the channels will be tonelux all the way, tonelux opamps, preamp, and eq, all in a fixed channel strip, not a 500 series slots thing, I recall something about effects inboard as well. But could be mistaken. Please call PMI for actual facts.
Old 28th March 2015
Gear Guru

I was really bummed when Paul bailed on Tlux.
I bought my mixer directly from him years back.
it was great to talk to him directly about the product HE developed/designed.
my first conversations and then demo convinced me to buy into a new concept/company[that was different and exciting to be a part of].
I miss having the heart and soul/passion of the original guy behind it.
originally it made me feel uneasy about the future of the product.I kinda lost interest in getting any more modules after that.
That said,I still have the mixer,still love it and Joe /Alan and the rest of the guys at PMI have been terrific in continuing support for the product,and I might just grab so more eq's after all.
Paul's a reeally smart,very funny guy.
ah.. progress I guess...Good for Slate.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 28th March 2015 at 06:41 AM..
Old 28th March 2015
Lives for gear

He is a genius planning to take over the world.....
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

Interesting , He bought API ? why did he get out of API ? then he formed Tonelux , then he left that ? Is it more that he likes to build something up for a while then move on to something new perhaps .
Old 29th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Interesting , He bought API ? why did he get out of API ? then he formed Tonelux , then he left that ? Is it more that he likes to build something up for a while then move on to something new perhaps .
For one thing API are very much rooted in a traditional model design wise.
consoles and fairly standard outboard gear.like the old days.
very conservative.For someone like Paul it likely got very stifling.
He had some forward thinking new cool ideas.modular building block console designs etc.
they weren't down with it.
now he's doing the cutting edge stuff,Raven etc.its cool.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 29th March 2015 at 03:47 PM..
Old 29th March 2015
Gear Nut

yeah raven seems to be a good product ,i'm not fan and i don't know if it get success but i'm more impressed by their batch commander , the slate/wolff team is terrific
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

When I found out Paul left tonelux, I thought ok there is no way I'm getting into that, the feeling of investing in a product that the inventor/mastermind ditched, does not sit right with me.

I agree the guys at PMI are great.
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

America's business models/plans now contain an exit strategy.
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

It's Wolff with 2 f's not Wolf. I would pretty much lay money on the fact that whatever he is doing will be awesome.
Old 1st April 2015
Into bad Slate based comedy sketches by the look of it ;-) Slate Digital Introduces New Analog Hardware Line
Be interesting to see the new Tonelux/PMI console though. Maybe it'll answer the Tonelux vs Trident question I considered….
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
April Fools day

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search