The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hypothetically just for fun...
Old 4th September 2003
Gear Addict

Hypothetically just for fun...

Part I

You've been hired to do a recording of Ray Charles doing a series of blues and country duets with some other male artists (Willie Nelson, George Jones, etc.). You're getting paid an outrageous sum so you don't want to blow it. Your told that every thing has already been done except the vocals and it's your job to go to a couple of remote locations and record the singers. Your given a nice laptop with a SPDIF input and told that the sky is the limit for the mic, mic pre, compressor (if you need it), and digital converter to get the recording onto the laptop. What gear would you request?

Part II

The next day you go in to work they pay you and tell you that the last project manager (your contact) has been fired for wasting way too much money. They tell you that they will honor your (great) contract but they can't afford that level of gear. They want to you submit something more reasonable. What would you now request? If you aren't willing to bend on a particular piece of gear, they you need to explain why it's justified.

Part III

They come to you, give you an apology, and pay you (very well) for the time you have invested and the work that you have done so far. They tell you that they will have to reject your request and that if you can't lower your gear cost and still get a great recording, they will need to find someone else to finish the job or scrap the project. They are nice folks and you want to make it work out. What new gear chain do you suggest to bring it in on budget? Again you can try to make your case for any particular piece of gear, but it makes keeping the job a bit more unlikely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
At each price level try to pick pieces of gear that will work well together to get a great sound.

Please list full model names and street prices.

I think that this thread could be very educational for newbies like myself.

Old 4th September 2003
Gear Maniac

Rental, my man.
Top gear + low price = good chance of success flying it to the mooks.

Feel free to take this idea straight to the bank.

CJM
Old 4th September 2003
Gear Addict

well your answer is great, but I was hoping to learn about the gear... lol
Old 4th September 2003
One with big hooves

Yeah, it's all about rentals in that situation. Maybe I'd carry one or two pieces that I already own and rent them to the project. Anything big (expensive) I would just rent in wherever I was. Also, I would never use a SPDIF connection if I could use AES/EBU instead. And why are we doing all of this on location if theres so much money to be had? Why not book a day or a half day in a crappy studio in each town? That might even be cheaper then renting gear.
Old 5th September 2003
Gear Addict

I guess I should have just asked for high, moderate and low budget mic, mic pre, compressor, converter chains where the components are known to sound great together. Just thought the other way was more fun...
Old 5th September 2003
Gear Guru

With cats like that the chain doesn't matter! It's Ray ****ing Charles! Give the guy whatever mic is handy, as long as the track is good and he's feeling the vibe you'll be fine.

I love gear a lot. And i read the later posts that say you're looking to learn about gear and that's cool too. I just wanted to remind you that the point is recording music! Worry about getting the vibe on tape. Get the magic from the performer and the listener will respond.

Given the choice of great gear and inferior players or inferior gear and great players, I'd pick the latter every time!

Have Fun!
Old 5th September 2003
One with big hooves

Keep in mind that Stevie Wonder used an RE-20 on all of Talking Book and the other albums from around that period. Just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it ain't the perfect tool for the job.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search