The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Electro Voice EV-666????
Old 31st March 2019
Here for the gear

Listen to George Benson's "This Masquerade". Al Schmitt put this mic on Benson thinking it was going to be a scratch vocal and they would redo it with a "proper vocal mic" later while they recorded the instrument tracks.When they played it back,they decided to leave the original "scratch" vocal recorded with the EV 666. So it's not that bad of a mic IF your engineer knows what he's doing..
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Maniac

Keep that mic away from me. So help me God ill throw holy water on it.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

i use it on gtr cabs
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Head

The 666 been used in Federal recording studio in Kingston Jamaica back in the 1960's along side Neumann u47 and RCA44bx mics.
Check the gear list by the right bottom corner:
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
i use it on gtr cabs
I do too (especially on guitar rigs with a tendency to sound "fizzy").

Its also pretty cool (close-up) on one of the speakers of an Ampeg 8x10 cab for bass.

Another cool thing is to use it as a "knee mic" for drums.

...Or trombone, or baritone sax, or, or, or...
...etc.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

I miss mine...
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

EV 666

IF you can find a 664, it was earliest version that was switchable between lo and hi z. I think it was introduced in 1964.
666 was lo z only
665 was matt grey for broadcast.

These were the first of the Variable D mics, which enabled them to be really good off axis and have much less proximity effect. So excellent for miking instruments, percussion, etc. Later versions like the RE10/11 and the higher spec RE15/16 got even better. (the original Buchanan RE20 was also a variable D mic with a large diaphragm).

Brad
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
These were the first of the Variable D mics, which enabled them to be really good off axis and have much less proximity effect. So excellent for miking instruments, percussion, etc. Later versions like the RE10/11 and the higher spec RE15/16 got even better. (the original Buchanan RE20 was also a variable D mic with a large diaphragm).
If you (the assembled masses, not just Brad) ever have a chance to hear a bunch of these at the same time, I think you'll think they're all good but the 666 is extra good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The "Mic of the Beast" is also pretty handy for "scratch" vocals when you have everybody in the same room:

Here's a short clip of it being used that way, with electric guitar, bass, drums, amplified harmonica (with its own mic & amp), and what was intended to be a "scratch vocal".

It happened all at the same time in a small living room:
666-example.mp3
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If you (the assembled masses, not just Brad) ever have a chance to hear a bunch of these at the same time, I think you'll think they're all good but the 666 is extra good.
Large diaphragm I think? Man those early EV mics are nearly indestructible.
Brad
Old 4 weeks ago
FYI, the model number is actually less "beastly" than once thought.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...6-5349692.html
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post

I'll just bet that Professor David Parker fellow never even heard of Electro-Voice!
(...So what could he possibly know about it?)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post

Update:
I think you might actually be right about that...
...As I do more research, I now see that it didn't seem to much bother "Brother Billy"!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Simply sin-sational!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
If you have a really bad room, it's actually a decent choice for cabs and kick.
Old 4 weeks ago
Motown legend

The 655 and the 666 were both sold to broadcasters as replacements for the RCA and Western Electric microphones that had come with the stations' original lease packages. This leased gear was very high quality in order to reduce maintenance costs to RCA and the Bell System. After the patents expired in the late '40s, a new generation of manufacturers still had to compete with the old gear. As time went by, quality drifted downward. This is why the older gear was so good. Nobody would buy anything that wasn't demonstrably better than what they already had at their station or studio.

Many stations replaced their RCA 77s and WE 639s with EV 666s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The 655 and the 666 were both sold to broadcasters as replacements for the RCA and Western Electric microphones that had come with the stations' original lease packages. This leased gear was very high quality in order to reduce maintenance costs to RCA and the Bell System. After the patents expired in the late '40s, a new generation of manufacturers still had to compete with the old gear. As time went by, quality drifted downward. This is why the older gear was so good. Nobody would buy anything that wasn't demonstrably better than what they already had at their station or studio.

Many stations replaced their RCA 77s and WE 639s with EV 666s.
That just jogged (what's left of) my memory:

The 666 I have was given to me (back in the 80s) by the owner of a very rural radio station (out in the middle of nowhere):

I went there to repair and align some tape machines, and noticed it in a junk box.

He threw it in to "sweeten the deal" for the work I was doing.

It was part of the package the station bought when it first went on the air (back in the mid-late '50s), and was packaged together with mostly Gates equipment (including the original "Sta-Level").

Amazingly, most of that original gear was still on the air up 'til around 1989 or so.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search