The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Snare drum preamp / microphone
Old 5th September 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
BTW Alpha, the CM700 was included in the shootout based on your rec. Other 'contestants' were (IIRC) Beyer 201, GT AM62, vintage C451... Anything anyone wanted to hear.

The results were (from most favored to least):

1. 57 (winner, good 'crack')
2. 201 (nice, but less snap, darker)
3. 700 (somewhat boxy, kind of dull, lifeless)
4. AM62 (sounded great until you played the rest of the kit!)
5. 451 (unusable n/a)
hmmm, thats the exact opposite i get from the mics i own... the 700 is a million miles from boxy, dull and lifeless that i own... either of them. its really ****ing bright and snappy. but i would call just about every 57 i have used boxy and dull.
Old 5th September 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by DirkB
Well, for me, turning up the snare doesn't necessary deliver more crisp (10k etc.). I find there's always a delicate balance between tuning of the (new) coated ambassador and the tension of the correct mounted strings.
turning or tuning? the tighter you make the heads, the higher the pitch the quicker the drum sounds.
Old 6th September 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by syra
The best pre on snare for a 57 is the Avalon 2022.
I wish I could share your opinion but I like a little color and thickness from my pre when tracking snare (for rock) and I'm definitely not looking for purity. My 2022 never gets used on close miced drums but occasionally gets used for overheads.

An interesting pre for snare is the UA2108. I feel this pre suits electric guitars and drums.
Old 6th September 2003
Here for the gear

When doing a solo shootout with the B&K and the 57 there is no question that the B&K is brighter, and perhaps more true ... but more often than not I come to the conclusion that the 57 is simply just more "right" it the context.

Probably just because I am so used to working with it !

But the search goes on ....
Old 6th September 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
turning or tuning? the tighter you make the heads, the higher the pitch the quicker the drum sounds.
I meant to say that tuning the snare higher, while pitching it up, doesn't mean it gets more crispy (which is what I'm always looking for in a snare, pitched low or high).
Crispyness comes with the new (a.o.)head

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 6th September 2003
There is only one

part of it does come with a new head... no doubt about that. but pitching it up does make the snare a LOT quicker and brighter [obviously, since its a higher pitch], i have done it too many times. i find i have to EQ far less when that is the sound im going for. starts at the source. but thats not always the tone i want either. sometimes i want a real full beefy tone.... and of course, shell size plays a prominent role as well.
Old 6th September 2003
Lives for gear

I achived my best soundin snare when not micing the snare at all.
good drummer on a good sounding kit and just oh and kick mics.
mics and pres? usely beyer m160 oin into tele v676
Old 7th September 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

As you tune both heads up, I find you go through 2-3 zones where the drum sounds good, then less good, then good again. Beyond that point, it sounds choked and won't improve no matter how high you continue to tune.

A lot of the sound comes from the tuning relationship between the two heads as well (batter and resonant sides). Most of the time I like the resonant head 1 to 3 half tones higher than the batter head, but it depends on what we're after.
Old 7th September 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
As you tune both heads up, I find you go through 2-3 zones where the drum sounds good, then less good, then good again. Beyond that point, it sounds choked and won't improve no matter how high you continue to tune.

A lot of the sound comes from the tuning relationship between the two heads as well (batter and resonant sides). Most of the time I like the resonant head 1 to 3 half tones higher than the batter head, but it depends on what we're after.
Very true with most drums, until you tune a really good snare like a Noble & Cooley which will have a much wider range of useable tuning.
Old 7th September 2003
Gear Head

Here's a slightly new one for you guys:

I like to use a 57 on top and a GTam62 on bottom. Both going through a Drawmer 1969...hitting the pre;s just hard enough to make the led light once in a while. The bottom mic is essential for getting the air on the snare especially if I need to gate the top.

A fresh coated ambassador or coated G1 is a must and I always end up tuning both heads for the drummer.
Old 8th September 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by HEDDcase
Very true with most drums, until you tune a really good snare like a Noble & Cooley which will have a much wider range of useable tuning.
I'll admit to never having seen a Noble & Cooley, much less worked with one!

A Evans Uno58 on the batter side does well for me when I need even more air than with an Ambassador or G1.
Old 8th September 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
Coated White Amb.

May EA SM57.

Huh ?
Old 8th September 2003
Gear Nut

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Interesting isn't it, how the 57 element seems to always sound better when it's not in a regular 57 body.
Old 8th September 2003
Gear Addict

Yah, I had a few Mays back in the day. I think they were susceptible to damage from phantom power, IIRC.
Old 9th December 2014
Here for the gear

Iv always used a 57 thru my 500 series 3124's with great results but I tried out my e906 guitar mic on it thru my ISA pre's and man.... It's awesome! The e906 is great at keeping out the hats and has a smoother top end! The mic also has a low end roll off built in which is great! Try this out, you'll love it! Also, I use a C414 on the bottom either thru my ISA stuff or the API pre's!
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear
I use one bent 57 on the snare pointed at the rim, because I use a long of ring, and it is perfect. Small caps are too bright and too much detail for my taste. I love the 57 through my vintech pres. I use the 57 in combination with 4038's which also sound amazing through the vintechs, as OH's in recorderman config. Lot's of snap and ring from the 57 on the rim, which is a different pitch (1.75 * the fundamental), and the OH's catch the body and fundamental tone of the snare for a nice full sustained hit with complex sonority. There is no real good reason not to use a 57 on the snare other than just novelty, it is as good as it gets IMO.
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post

Depends highly on what sound you are going for and the drum itself. I like full resonance (both heads' lugs tuned to 1.75 fundamental) tuned as high as I can possibly get it, which is usually around 440 hz, which is very high for a 14" snare. It's a different style that comes from my tabla training, and is unique as far as I know. It's not a traditional smack of most snares, and can be played with the kick drum simultaneously to get the tabla "Dha" stroke.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
Depends highly on what sound you are going for and the drum itself. I like full resonance (both heads' lugs tuned to 1.75 fundamental) tuned as high as I can possibly get it, which is usually around 440 hz, which is very high for a 14" snare. It's a different style that comes from my tabla training, and is unique as far as I know. It's not a traditional smack of most snares, and can be played with the kick drum simultaneously to get the tabla "Dha" stroke.
Very interesting! I always love to hear about different approaches to the same ole thing.

One of the first things I learned in the studio was how to tune drums. So vital to get good reliable info on this because so many drummers are lost on how to tune their set properly.
Look for the drummer setting up who's kit sounds great right out of the cases and start asking questions.

I personally learned with a torque key and learned how to do variations off of that like drop lug etc... I always have one in hand to get in the ballpark before final tweaking.

If you run into a kit that looks neglected take the top snare head off and check to make sure the bead is clean all the way around before reseating. Too many times I have done that and the head is resting on a crap lined bead. Usually the head is warped as well from overtightening an unbalanced head.

MORE ON TOPIC I freaking just fell in love with the Daking Mike Pre EQ. Best snare pre and EQ combo I have ever heard with just a basic SM57.

Wanting to know if anyone uses the Josephson side address mic the e22s....
Old 11th December 2014
Here for the gear

I see a lot of you guys using the 57. That was my go-to for a long time, occasionally I would use the C1000 depending on the snare itself. However, the drummer of my corporate band has the Audix Elite mic kit which has the i5 for snare. It finally made it's way into the studio for a go-around. I seem to favor the i5 now so I bought one. It's not a whole lot different from a 57, but there is something there that seems to be missing from the 57. We've done a test between 2 i5's and 3 57s. The i5's were favored. Granted the 57's are between 3 - 6 years old and the i5's are 1-2 years, but shouldn't be that significant....

I don't have a lot of outboard gear. My 2 pres are a Focursite Liquid Channel and a LA 610 MkII (modified). The SSL, API, and Avalon models seem to work best. I believe it has a Daking model as well, and since the guy earlier in the thread mentioned he was really excited with his results, I'll try that on the next session. Again, it's a model, but an expensive one.
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Call me crazy but I love using the pre on my Avalon 737 for snare.... When used a 57 or an i5, it gives me an awesome sound!
Old 11th December 2014
Here for the gear
Top: e906/SM7b into Aurora GTQC channelstrip or API 3124+
Bottom: e906 into API 3124+
Old 11th December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk View Post
part of it does come with a new head... no doubt about that. but pitching it up does make the snare a LOT quicker and brighter [obviously, since its a higher pitch], i have done it too many times. i find i have to EQ far less when that is the sound im going for. starts at the source. but thats not always the tone i want either. sometimes i want a real full beefy tone.... and of course, shell size plays a prominent role as well.
It's interesting you say this and I've never really thought about it. I do by nature like a higher pitch snare live in general for pop/rock. However I literally call the same guy for every session to use this little Pork Pie snare because it tracks so well. I believe it's a 12 x 5 or 13 x 5 (I think 12). It's quite small but man does it print to the DAW well!

Then it's a matter of convincing the drummer to use it. I usually get a weird look from a guy using a considerably larger snare. I have them just jam a beat for a minute and playback. Change of attitude and it sells itself.
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Maniac

It really depends on application with mic pre and mic but I've been very happy with the Pacifica by a designs.

It's a really focused and punchy pre amp I noticed that the mixing process is so much easier not a lot if sugerical work

I also like the km84 on the snare it's got a nice lush tone

It has it's own color it's not sterile that's for sure
Happy hunting
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

My favorite snare preamp so far is the A Designs Silver.

Uber-punch!
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Head

Neve style pre + 57/TelefunkenM80/Km184 really depends on the drummer and the song. It's never just one solution so many additional variables.
Old 23rd December 2014
Gear Maniac

You can try the Pacifica by a designs I sometimes depending on how I want the Dante to siund use the km 84 it's a bit more if a lush sound

It's really going todai end on what vibe your trying to create there's a lot of paintbrushes out there
Old 24th December 2014
Here for the gear
Sennheiser e906 top/bottom into 1073/3124 rocks.

Dark yet punchy and crisp and reject hihats quit well wich is really important
Old 25th December 2014
Gear Head
Depending on the style of music and what character I'm looking for, I generally start with an MD441 and an SM57 into API preamp.
Old 25th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post

Wanting to know if anyone uses the Josephson side address mic the e22s....
I'm a regular user of the e22s on top snare (as well as many other things... It's a real Swiss Army knife). Gives a nice splat and is very affected by proximity so you can fatten it up my moving it closer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search