The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Console Installation: Small-Footprint High-End Mixing Room (pictures included)…
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

New Console Installation: Small-Footprint High-End Mixing Room (pictures included)…

Hi all,

a couple days ago my new Speck LiLo console arrived. Recently I also added some other bits and pieces to the studio, such as the infamous Rockruepel compressor. My room has come a long way, from a small production suite for my own releases/projects more than ten years ago to what it is now.

I am showing this not only because right now I am really happy and proud, but also because I believe that some of my thoughts and conclusions might be interesting as a small "case study" for other people.

My goal has always been to provide the best sonics possible at a reasonable cost. My signal path is high-end, but everything has a pretty small footprint and I do not have a live room (I usually book friends' rooms for recording gigs). My rooms are pretty unpretentious, but in a good location. For room treatment and studio furniture I did a lot of DIY stuff, such as my "dope traps". I am running a native DAW (Logic/Live/Pro Tools/Nuendo...) with a MADI setup with Lavry and Lynx converters as a high quality but comparatively cost effective solution.
So I have a pretty low monthly overhead for a studio with this kind of equipment, and my clients seem to enjoy that I can offer my services at reasonable prices - which is important for most of us in this economy.

All my equipment has been selected very carefully. I strongly believe in transparency, i.e. all the cables are good quality and as short as possible, with the patchbay in the very center of the studio.

Every studio is a compromise of some sort. But if it is "convenience vs. sound quality" I try to opt for the latter whenever I can. Long live analog, well integrated in a hybrid setup...

Anyway, here are the pictures - enjoy!

Speck LiLo 24/2/2 console:

Channel/insert EQs and drum buss compressor (hard-wired to the console):

Outboard dynamics, EQs and converters:

Preamps and outboard FX:

Thanks for having a look!
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Nut

Very nice! I can't wait until my collection looks like that one day.
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Maniac

wow, beautiful! not only the new console is a dream...

The monitoring situation looks difficult here on these photos. How does that work for you? The Genelecs are quite apart from each other related to the listening position. Probably this is one of the compromises you have to live with. I can imagine these monitors require also some distance to the rear wall. What is your experience with this kind of monitor setup?
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Nut

nice and moorish
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Beautiful
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

What's up with the mirror?

Nice equipment. The vibe is a little bright for me. But that probably is a photo thing.
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Very very nice man!
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

I saw the racks, I saw chickenbeak knobs - that was all I needed to see. heh
Nice and clean....cool
Cdlt
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom View Post
wow, beautiful! not only the new console is a dream...

The monitoring situation looks difficult here on these photos. How does that work for you? The Genelecs are quite apart from each other related to the listening position. Probably this is one of the compromises you have to live with. I can imagine these monitors require also some distance to the rear wall. What is your experience with this kind of monitor setup?
Thanks for the comments so far!

I have set up the monitor stands before the console arrived, and I am still tweaking things a bit. I might move the monitors a bit closer, that would definitely be possible. That's not chiseled in stone, as I am still in the process of making myself comfortable with the new situation.

However, this looks a bit strange on the photos. They appear to be farther apart in the pictures than they are in reality. When I pull out the keyboard drawer and sit in front of it, it is almost an equilateral triangle. Not perfectly so, but close enough.

The monitors have a distance of about 45 cm to the rear wall, with 30 cm thick broad band absorbers in between. They sound great in my room, and the mixes translate well. Some of my friends have the same speakers, and the all say that mine sound better in my room than their speakers in their rooms.
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Love the mini too! Is the vintage one, right?
Old 30th October 2011
Great studio - I like the ergonomics, most controls seem to be in reach of a rotation of the chair; also, great hardware...the desk looks great, nice layout : )

Thanks for the photos and inspiration. Enjoy!
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Looks amazing man. Where did the silver frames racks come from?
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Addict

awesome gear, you are a lucky man!!
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
Looks amazing man. Where did the silver frames racks come from?
I bought them many years ago. But if they did not change the specs, they should be exactly like these: 20U studio rack
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks. Place looks great !
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
Thanks. Place looks great !
Thanks, man! I tried to spend as little money as possible on furniture. I built the stand for these two racks myself, as well as the room treatment and the table for the console.
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Looks fantastic! Would be great to see some sweet DB25/TT patchbays in there!

Jared
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Audio-LA View Post
Looks fantastic! Would be great to see some sweet DB25/TT patchbays in there!

Jared
Yes, that is one of the next things on my list. Generally I try to avoid the patchbay, whenever I can. Many connections in my studio are hard-wired, bypassing the patchbay.

I just did not want to do this at the same time when installing the console. I want to work with it for a while to see which outboard units will be put in the insert paths - and the remaining ones will be connected to the TT patchbay.
Old 31st October 2011
nice room!!! if it was not so messy here, and I'd squint my eyes looking at the rack, and paint my Xtramix white, it'd almost be the same.
I'm jealous now. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
30 cm thick broad band absorbers in between. They sound great in my room, and the mixes translate well. Some of my friends have the same speakers, and the all say that mine sound better in my room than their speakers in their rooms.
that's the difference! simple and effective!
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Great studio - I like the ergonomics, most controls seem to be in reach of a rotation of the chair; also, great hardware...the desk looks great, nice layout : )

Thanks for the photos and inspiration. Enjoy!

Good point! That's the only thing where I sacrifice sound quality for convenience, so to speak. Probably I could reduce reflections bouncing off the computer screens and the racks on the left side when they weren't so close to the listening position.
But I can reach almost all controls on all outboard units sitting in the sweet spot between the speakers.

This is also the main reason why I was never intrigued to buy a LFAC. I simply don't like to adjust units in an outboard rack 10 ft away from the sweet spot...
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
nice room!!! if it was not so messy here, and I'd squint my eyes looking at the rack, and paint my Xtramix white, it'd almost be the same.
I'm jealous now. haha

that's the difference! simple and effective!

BTW, here's an old thread where I explained the construction of the absorbers. They are built of off-the-shelf IKEA frames filled with hemp fibers - hence the name "dope traps"...

DIY Broadband Absorber - pictures posted

It's funny to see these old pictures. My room was more a production suite and less a mixing studio back then.
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.o.T.s View Post
Love the mini too! Is the vintage one, right?
Yes, it's a vintage one. To me it sounds better, more characterful then the Voyager. And I actually like the fact that there are no presets.
Old 1st November 2011
Nice one AirMate, looks amazing.

jeremy
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

Where do the clients sit?
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

What a great collection of gear! Congrats on the Lilo! I've never understood having gear behind you as you adjust. I know a lot of great rooms do this but I can't get into it.
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo View Post
Where do the clients sit?
At the photographer's position in the first picture. Or we'll swap chairs for a moment.
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Addict

Hallo Hannes,

not to be indiscrete but how much did the Lilo run ya?

Old 2nd November 2011
Is it slutty of me to want that for my own use... with no desire whatsoever to do anything commercial with it ?

I need my freaking book of business to grow to 2.5 mil and that is what my reward will be! Bring on the cold calls
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by okailla View Post
Hallo Hannes,

not to be indiscrete but how much did the Lilo run ya?

I am not going to disclose the exact price I paid, because of a special agreement.

I believe the regular price would be something between 10.000 and 10.500 Euro (incl. VAT). I have the version w/o any output transformers. I don't know in which way this affects the price, perhaps the transformer versions are a slightly more expensive?

I was told that Speck was going to raise the prices a bit in the near future. However, I do not know any details about that.

What I do know is that Just Music (Berlin) has a 16 channel LiLo in stock. It's the one I tried out before ordering mine. This would be a really rare opportunity, as no other dealer in Germany (or perhaps even Europe) is stocking Speck consoles. I really had a hard time to find a console to try before making the decision to order one. With Speck's lead times of about two months, a sinking Euro and the possibility of raised manufacturer's prices in the near future this might be a good deal for somebody.
As far as I understood it was ordered on behalf of a client who then decided to buy someting else.

Btw - "Waterkant"... greetings to my home country...
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

The pics just don´t do it justice!!! heh

I spend my free lunch hour yesterday, for a quick visit to Hannes place,
because I had to sit down and touch the LiLo myself...

this room is REALLY coming along....and probably a great case study, of what can be achieved within reasonable means, when you pay attention to detail, audio-quality and real-life business of a one man producer/engineer operation!!!...honestly!

For sure, I dream of 60sqm controlrooms, northward acoustics and Strauss MF-2 monitors by night....but spending hundreds of thousands of euros, will probably have to wait a few more years (to keep thinking positive heh )

....and while I probably also never could get used to mixing on Genelecs, I must say Hannes is right, as I have never heard them sound as balanced as in this room.
So while ATC scm50´s or Grimm LS1´s along with a Sterling Modular frame around the LiLo would be my choice, this setup here just WORKS!!
oddly enough Hannes CAN get great mixes done on those...and I know people that get unreal stuff done on NS10s...

and with new interesting projects on the horizon airmate get´s my two thumbs up!!!

If there´s one new Console in the market that´s really worth it´s price and soundwise rivals much more expensive stuff, it´s probably the LILO!!!

PS: of course we all know that there´s still 2x Bricasti M7M with M10, a Sta-Level, 2x Retro 176, UBK Fatso, VacRac TSL-3 and a Lexicon Primetime missing
📝 Reply