The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody still buying consoles? Consoles
Old 21st December 2017
Is it hum? Buzz? White or broadband noise?
Two things about the early runs of those mixers.
The power supply is internal, so for hum rejection, it does matter some where you put it. Move it if it's humming, away from any gear it doesn't play nice with.

I think the early 8 bus and 1604 had some issues with RFI? I remember hearing stories about people near transmitters having issues. Churches with on premise radio stations, etc.

Here is a mod released by Mackie for that issue:
http://www.wtjrtv.org/wp-content/upl...erfifilter.pdf

Other than hooking up old Jensen iso max transformers and the like, there isn't much else to do.

Upping the value of some electrolytic caps makes the board sound a whole hell of a lot better. The phase shift and low end response improves dramatically. I don't know about the transistor mods, and chip mods. I think the things are pretty open and clear, and 8 busses are not typically that noisy. The chips are not LME49720's, but they have as fast a slew rate as a 2520...or faster. People complain about them, but they were used pretty cleverly in this circuit.

As with any analog console, by the time you throw ungated compressors and the ilk on inserts, any channels that are open can make noise.

They used to sell that auto package, ULTRA PILOT it's associated software for the mackie or any other analog desk that goes in it's inserts. Mackie OTTO? Something....For VCA, it was pretty clean.
Good luck!

PS: I think Mackies get a worse rap than they deserve. If you use outboard pres, the board really doesn't get in the way much. Some of the work I have done that has gotten the most positive reception (made the most money?) was on Mackies. Go figure.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Whilst surfing eBay for spare parts for my Cinemix, I came across a guy parting out a 48 channel one, motor faders top & bottom (mine only has bottom). Long story, short.... I now own 2 Cinemix consoles. Kinda had to. It was only $500!!!!! Yeah, it needs a power supply and some elbow grease.... but still....

I guess there are still crazy people buying consoles. Including the old Mackie 8 bus, I only have 3 right now. I may need another, lol!
Great find
Now if I could only find someone parting out an Octagon I would buy everything !

Here's a pic from last week... Commissioning going good now,. but it started out hard,. 3 weeks troubleshooting and learning,, the I2C buss was giving me troubles
Anybody still buying consoles?-aaa-desk.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody still buying consoles?-aaa-desk.jpg  
Old 25th December 2017
Anyone know the DDA-DMR-12? I have a couple of routing/Patchbay question.
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

yes, just fewer
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Love that picture..... AND, glad I'm on the other side of the world.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search