Old 7th April 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth
But really man get the GERMANIUM....
Nick
For gods-sake Man... would you stop giving our new secret away

Get the 610 ... Get the 610 ... Get the 610 ... Get the 610 ...

You must leave the Germ FOR ME ...
Old 7th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep
"think the germ are here to stay though"
...... tomorrow i think , just heaing your diffarance I ordered More !!
Got to get them busses covered !
Nice Man I wish I woulda got a pair as opposed to one.
Old 7th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep
For gods-sake Man... would you stop giving our new secret away

Get the 610 ... Get the 610 ... Get the 610 ... Get the 610 ...

You must leave the Germ FOR ME ...

Oh oh... yeh...ummm...get the 610, get the 610. You'll really love the VU meter and the big glowing power light, the box looks good as well.

Nick
Old 7th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413
if I was forced to have 1 high end box to run everything thru I can think of none better than the Germanium... to me it's the Holy Grail for breathing life into digital.

I'm with ya
Old 7th April 2006
Gear Nut

germanium

Hi,
so I'd like to buy a germanium to see if it'sa really that good!
In the states the germanium is much cheaper than in germany, where it is prized at ca. 1200 Euro plus power supply unit at ca. 200 Euro. Do you know "soniccircus.com"?

Booda
Old 7th April 2006
Gear Maniac

So, how many slutz in total actually have Germaniums?
How many of you guys have really tested it thoroughly on different mics, sources etc?
I might be wrong but for some reason there seems to be more hyped-posts than actual tests on the unit.
Old 7th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A101
How many of you guys have really tested it thoroughly on different mics, sources etc?
I might be wrong but for some reason there seems to be more hyped-posts than actual tests on the unit.

I have..and I'm beginning drum tracking this weekend...that's what I haven't used on yet.
Old 7th April 2006
Gear Nut

samples

Hey yeah some samples of either would be great..
its the one thing that would make this forum even better, would be if there
were more samples to listen too.
Im in the uk, and i cant find a dealer for the germ / 610 that ill le me try both,
and return the one i dont want.
Its crap being in the UK, everything costs far more, AND the dealers are tight with demoing gear.

Im gonna go with the Germ and THe ART pro vla.
I think its a more flexible choice.

mavertron
Old 7th April 2006
Lives for gear

Mics on vox
Shure Beta 58......good
Soundelux U195.....very nice with just a nice level of distortion.
AEA R84......very nice, thick out, gain 10 o'clock, great for singer with a thin light voice.

Bass DI....punchie, full big sound.

I must say I am raving over the GERM for now probably because it's my new thing. But it is good and it does speak for itself so no hype needed.
The other pres I have are LTD-1 and TG2 and the GERM fits in well.

Nick
Old 7th April 2006
Gear Nut

No matter what you color box you stack with you're going to get some buildup somewhere, and you're going to have to EQ around it. I've worked on vintage Neve's since the early 70's and love them (much experience here), though many great recordings were also done on Putnam's Consoles as well (no experience with those outside of the 610's), and UA's compressors are legendary.

One other point is that the Germanium is only a pre, while the LA610 is a pre/compressor/eq, which if you're only going to have "one box" at that price point then it's quite likely that the LA610 will give you more versatility if you're good enough to operate it within it's capabilities.

Either way you'll have a quality piece of gear...

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
Not in my experience at all..sounds like the Great River MPNV marketing blurbtutt
Ive tracked/mixed entire records through Neve consoles/10XX modules ..
as were many GREAT records.. recorded through these consoles for 30 plus years
"Stacking" tracks were NEVER a problem..
Now Tracking a whole record with the UA box which in comparison to a good ol classic Neve mic amp is just plain dissapointing...
But Obviously YMMV
Old 7th April 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

I have a new Add to my favorite CraneSong company... Chandler ... Woohoooo .
Please guys , one liston you see the UA does not hold up a bit aginst these ..... Wow ...
Old 8th April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavertron

mavertron
Wise choice.

Look for a thread re: NOS tubes for the PRO VLA.
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanploth
Wise choice.

Look for a thread re: NOS tubes for the PRO VLA.

Is the Art VLA actually decent sounding?? Is it hard knee or soft knee? Or both?
Old 8th April 2006
It's an optical compressor (leveling amp). It will clamp down at higher ratios, and has auto/fast buttons for attack and release, but I really only like it for basic tracking: soft compression of vocals, ac. guitar, and bass (quite good in all cases).

It will do some good on the mixbus, but I don't think it's the best choice here. Then again, for under $300, what is?

I wouldn't call it versatile, but I would say that it's rather "musical" sounding. Maybe a hint of tube color, but really somewhat transparent, IMO.

I like mine, and use it for tracking fairly often.
Old 8th April 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I'm with ya
Now I am with YOU ...!

GERMS everyWERE IN THE Hiz'oooouse ... germ overload, fully diseased NOW ....
Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep
Now I am with YOU ...!

GERMS everyWERE IN THE Hiz'oooouse ... germ overload, fully diseased NOW ....

heh thumbsup
Old 8th April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by A101
what's to test. the Germ sounds like what I've always wanted a DI to sound like.. I say DI because I'm using it more as a tone-shaping reamp box lately than a mic pre...

when the Holy Grail comes you don't calculate it's volume, you just drink and enjoy the ride.

Old 8th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413
what's to test. the Germ sounds like what I've always wanted a DI to sound like.. I say DI because I'm using it more as a tone-shaping reamp box lately than a mic pre...

when the Holy Grail comes you don't calculate it's volume, you just drink and enjoy the ride.

I'm with you on the tone shaping thing...I been running harsh or thin vocals into the germ when I'm mixing and it really gives them some life and character.
Old 14th April 2006
Art
Gear Addict

Quote:
When you try out some of these pres, comps what ever, record the demos so you can reference them on playback. All sounds different after a few listens and then you can make a good comparison with the equipment you want to buy (or not).
But really man get the GERMANIUM....you won't regret it, and if you don't like it you can sell it to some here on SLUTZ. Try selling the LA-610....good luck.

Nick

I can tell you from personal experience that selling UA gear is not too difficult. I purchased 2 M610's for $1660.00. I sold them for $1540.00, almost 93% of what I paid.

On another note, I think the 610 pre is a great sounding pre. I just had more Pre's than I needed.
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
I can tell you from personal experience that selling UA gear is not too difficult. I purchased 2 M610's for $1660.00. I sold them for $1540.00, almost 93% of what I paid.

On another note, I think the 610 pre is a great sounding pre. I just had more Pre's than I needed.
Cool for you.

Nick
Old 14th April 2006
Art
Gear Addict

Quote:
Cool for you.

Nick

Ahhhhhh Yesssssss, I just love the sarcasm, definately a useful and nessesary tool in helping the original poster with his decision. Keep up the good work.

Back to my point, contrary to your posting, UA equipment seems to hold its' value quite well.

Art
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Ahhhhhh Yesssssss, I just love the sarcasm, definately a useful and nessesary tool in helping the original poster with his decision. Keep up the good work.

Back to my point, contrary to your posting, UA equipment seems to hold its' value quite well.

Art
Not at all. If you like the LA610 that's fine.
I had a UA 6176 and I loved it, in fact I bought another but I mainly used the 1176 part of the channel strip. Maybe with the 1176 comp on the end of the pre tamed the gain a bit more, but when I tried the LA610 and cranked the gain up it really had some not so nice distortion. Anyway I got rid of both UA6176, the Avalon, MTA 80b and bought a TG2, a pair of LTD-1 and a UA 2-1176. Just like my current set-up more, alot more.
The big problem with the 610 pre is when you really push the gain, the distortion gets nasty/naily, where as the Chandler....well I love the sound, especially when you drive the gain and get some fur on that distortion. I know, don't drive the 610 pre too hard, but some times you need to, everyone seems to want recordings louder these days.
I hire my gear out alot, so it's not just me using the stuff and my clients want to use the Chandler, probably because it's the new thing.
By the way the change over cost me a bundle and I really like the UA compressors.

Nick
Old 24th April 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
well I love the sound, especially when you drive the gain and get some fur on that distortion. I know, don't drive the 610 pre too hard, but some times you need to, everyone seems to want recordings louder these days.

Nick
Hey , Sorry but I am just curious... how does driving the pre harder or rather not so hard limit the loudness of the recording? I can understand the difference in quality but I don't understand the end volume result being limited by how hard you drive the pre.

Lia
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavertron
mavertron
The LA-610 may be unappealing to those GearSlutz that must have the real-deal LA-2A, but it is not really a bad unit. It seems to be beneficial towards less-expensive mics; if you have some cheaper mics and want to track vocals the results are decent. I haven't heard the Germanium but I know Chandler is a great company that makes great products.. I am just waiting for the Germanium backlash that is bound to occur sometime soon because when the hype on a unit is this high... well, the only way to go is down! People calling it the holy grail, etc...

But you will probably like the Germanium because everyone else does!
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore
I'm also highly skeptical as to the myth that tracking an entire song through a Neve 1073 is problematic. How many famous records were tracked entirely through Neve, or EMI, or API consoles that are considered the benchmark of fidelity even today?
absolutrely true - i second that opinion.
from my own experience, i wouldn't hesitate tracking an entire song through 1073 preamps. heh
📝 Reply