The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reparing SSL 4000 Dynamics cards! Monitor Controllers
Old 8th October 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Reparing SSL 4000 Dynamics cards!

Im trying to repair some dunamics card for SSL 4000, Ive recapped them but they are completely dead no sound is going through them!

Changed the 5534 ops, I guess the nest step will be to replace all CA324E IC´s!

I was think of swapping these around the cards just to see if I can get at least one working,! But they do have slightly different numbers!
Like one all is 5 x (CA324E RCA H323) another one has : CA324E RCA H445!

Is it possible to mix these Ic`S without blowing the damn R100 all the time!
Any experts wiling to help me out, how to proceed?
All cards seem to have the same problem, strange!
Old 8th October 2011
  #2
Gear Addict
 
toolz's Avatar
 

Hi, all the CA324E quad opamps are the same, so you should be able to swap things about. I used LM324N last time to repair a dynamics card, that worked fine.

R100 is in the power supply section, if this is burning you need to check voltages, and the positive regulator TR5. Normally the 10R values are fusing resistors, so you may have a short circuit.


You report no sound is going through them..

The signal audio path is very, very short, into the card via VCA pin one, out and into T4.. and out of the board via a few caps. I would look to probe this through. Also again lack of correct voltages would be something to look at again.. which would lead you back to R100 area.
Old 8th October 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Skip Burrows's Avatar
 

Most Likely the +&- Regulators. They are 15 volt Regulators that provide the VCA with the proper voltage. Remember the desk runs on +&- 18 Volts. I've seen those go bad alot.
Old 8th October 2011
  #4
Gear Addict
 
nicpope's Avatar
 

On my desk its almost always the regulators.
Old 8th October 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Thanks for the info!

What regulators is that you guys refering to? any circuit numer? it would help

All the best
Old 8th October 2011
  #6
Gear Addict
 
toolz's Avatar
 

The regulators are right by R100, on the dynamics card they look like typical transistors. Tr5 is the positive, as stated in the first reply, if you look at the bottom of the schematic, you'll see them, and also the voltages expected.
Old 9th October 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Thanks again guys, very helpful!

Didint have any of these regulators in house so have to order and found this one :https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa/init.do?item=73-264-57&toc=0
Old 9th October 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Took a couple of regualtors from a spare VCA card parts, worked like a charm!

Whole 4056 consle is now recapped just some trolls needed to be sorted out, only have 3 problems left now

One channel doenst (44) seem to react on fader movements, full volume I think all the time, it doesnt care about the TR either so, I tried swap every modules in it to once I knew work, even multiplex card and logic, everythinG
Still the same problem, even if insert it into another channel slot! :(

And on one channel, in the dynamics, when signal is not present, the gate rises but misses the 2 diods in the middle. seems to work anyway

when engaging CH IN on channel 9, it doesnt lit up and the TR computer doenst take note that this was pressed down, but the dyn sec works anyway!
Old 10th October 2011
  #9
Gear Addict
 
toolz's Avatar
 

>And on one channel, in the dynamics, when signal is not present, the gate rises but misses the 2 diods in the middle. seems to work anyway

That's a faulty Quad Op amp T6.


>One channel doenst (44) seem to react on fader movements, full volume I think all the time, it doesnt care about the TR either so, I tried swap every modules in it to once I knew work, even multiplex card and logic, everythinG
Still the same problem, even if insert it into another channel slot! :(

As the fault moves, and is not on the cards, as they've been swapped it must be on the channel mother board.. or it's connectors. I'd clean the edge connectors for all the cards with DeoxIT and toothbrush to start with.


>when engaging CH IN on channel 9, it doesnt lit up and the TR computer doenst take note that this was pressed down, but the dyn sec works anyway!

If you swap Logic cards, does that change anything?
Old 10th October 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
>And on one channel, in the dynamics, when signal is not present, the gate rises but misses the 2 diods in the middle. seems to work anyway

That's a faulty Quad Op amp T6.


>One channel doenst (44) seem to react on fader movements, full volume I think all the time, it doesnt care about the TR either so, I tried swap every modules in it to once I knew work, even multiplex card and logic, everythinG
Still the same problem, even if insert it into another channel slot! :(

As the fault moves, and is not on the cards, as they've been swapped it must be on the channel mother board.. or it's connectors. I'd clean the edge connectors for all the cards with DeoxIT and toothbrush to start with.


>when engaging CH IN on channel 9, it doesnt lit up and the TR computer doenst take note that this was pressed down, but the dyn sec works anyway!

If you swap Logic cards, does that change anything?
Replaced the T6 op am and its now working great, thanks!

The problem with DYN CH IN button is now working again, seems there is some bad connection somewhere!

The channel which do not respond to TR och fadermovements is still bad, I thought I replaced all cards on that motherboard but I=ll try again!

...and while we are at it, the slots from 49/56 seems to be for stereo modules only, we only have 3 and the rest mono, this section has never worked properly, is there some jumper configuration to the lower bus card to make for mixing mono & stero modules, or perhaps its not possible
Old 11th October 2011
  #11
Gear Addict
 

You can definitely have mono and stereo channels in the same bucket but I don't know any more than that.
Old 11th October 2011
  #12
Gear Addict
 
toolz's Avatar
 

The bucket needs to pre-wired to accept mono/stereo channels, It would make sense for you're last bucket to be this way.

All consoles before 1985 won't have this option for sure.

I'm guessing Lower buss card connections will be the same as they feed the quad bus, 32 groups and total recall.

Stereo Upper bus card pinout:


To my eye.. it uses the mono monitor lines to facilitate a stereo insert, the mic input for Left line in and it's not reactive to master logic status. Should be easy to get this bucket working right.
Old 11th October 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

I´ll have a look at that, thanks toolz, you seem to have answers to everything
Old 11th October 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

One channel also has some lower line gain! replaced the brown ugly bipolar Capacitor, but that didnt do the trick, I remember doing it in the master section on one card that lacked gain and then it was fine!

What bipolar capacitors are to recommend in the master section, any nice mod?
Old 11th October 2011
  #15
Gear Addict
 
toolz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
One channel also has some lower line gain! replaced the brown ugly bipolar Capacitor, but that didnt do the trick, I remember doing it in the master section on one card that lacked gain and then it was fine!

What bipolar capacitors are to recommend in the master section, any nice mod?
The brown ugly ones are Tantalums, these should be replaced with Electrolytic type.

Tant's usually die short circuit, that sometimes means a little smoke from associated resistors. I'm using ones from Audio maintenance in the UK, they have a great range ideal for re-capping consoles.

Audio Maintenance Limited Radial Capacitors
Old 11th October 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

The problem with channel 44, where faders, TR not working, started to work withanother Multiplex card, so Im gonna try to switch one by one to se which amp is bad, brb...
Old 11th October 2011
  #17
Gear Addict
 
toolz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
The problem with channel 44, where faders, TR not working, started to work withanother Multiplex card, so Im gonna try to switch one by one to se which amp is bad, brb...
If you need a spare Multiplex card.. I'll pop one in the post! :-)
Old 12th October 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
If you need a spare Multiplex card.. I'll pop one in the post! :-)
That would be very nice, how much do you want for it?

I managed to trck down what OP was bad in the mutiplex so its working again, but Im one multiplex short anyway so please PM me a price for the TR card!

All the best, and thanks again! really tired now, but lot things got sorted today
Old 17th October 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

So, now everything is working 100%, except...

When the console has been powered down a day or 2, when powering it up, it first is ok, then after 2 min, the light goes out from all "CUT" buttons that were pressed in, graphic in the computer gets distorted, and there is little to no sound from the console, wait another 10 min, and the console is back online again, which means, all cuts starts light up again, and we have sound again,
There is a way to force the console to operate and that is to go to !tes and choose T (Total recall) and then M, and then M again which seems to force the console back online, but as soon as I exit, its dead! :(
Old 29th January 2018
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
Spanzor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
Replaced the T6 op am and its now working great, thanks!

The problem with DYN CH IN button is now working again, seems there is some bad connection somewhere!

The channel which do not respond to TR och fadermovements is still bad, I thought I replaced all cards on that motherboard but I=ll try again!

...and while we are at it, the slots from 49/56 seems to be for stereo modules only, we only have 3 and the rest mono, this section has never worked properly, is there some jumper configuration to the lower bus card to make for mixing mono & stero modules, or perhaps its not possible
Hey Showcase-

Do you remember which "middle" diodes were out? there are 5 hehe

Wondering because i have a channel with the green -6 led on the gate not lighting. I've tried replacing T6 but no luck

okay thanks!
Old 2nd February 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanzor View Post
Hey Showcase-

Do you remember which "middle" diodes were out? there are 5 hehe

Wondering because i have a channel with the green -6 led on the gate not lighting. I've tried replacing T6 but no luck

okay thanks!
We sorted alot trolls out back then, it has behaved sorta since and so i honestly forgot, hope you can fix it, ask around at sslmixed.com forum, they can def help you
Old 2nd February 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Would be interesting to post some info here.

While I visited the SSL Mixed forum I don't feel entitled to register there as I obivously don't own not use SSL consoles, I mostly consider the legendary 4000/6000 as amazingly designed and built audio equipment (I also remember consoles shown at some AES Convention in Montreux a long time ago as I was somewhat involved in audio).
Old 5th February 2018
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
Spanzor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
We sorted alot trolls out back then, it has behaved sorta since and so i honestly forgot, hope you can fix it, ask around at sslmixed.com forum, they can def help you
hey no problem, hopefully 7 years from now i'll also be able to forget about some of the issues i've encountered lol
Old 9th March 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanzor View Post
Hey Showcase-

Do you remember which "middle" diodes were out? there are 5 hehe

Wondering because i have a channel with the green -6 led on the gate not lighting. I've tried replacing T6 but no luck

okay thanks!

what revision do you have?
Old 29th March 2018
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
Spanzor's Avatar
 

sorry for the delay- been under the hammer recently.

Okay so most of the Dynamic cards are between revision 10-12. One has been entirely rechipped and recapped and still isn't passing power, but i get power at all the rails coming into the card, so my next move is to try and diagnose if it's bad voltage regulators. Over at SSL mixed, that seems to be a common one, but I'm still fairly new to teching and diagnosing problems with this behemoth.
Old 11th April 2019
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
Spanzor's Avatar
 

hey guys has anyone been able to access the SSL Mixed forum? I'm in a pinch and need to get some information off of there.

If anyone can help me figure out which pots I need to get, I've got a few EQ/group trim/cue send pots that got bent up in a move.

Thanks!

Spencer
Old 13th April 2019
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
mike-661's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanzor View Post
hey guys has anyone been able to access the SSL Mixed forum? I'm in a pinch and need to get some information off of there.

If anyone can help me figure out which pots I need to get, I've got a few EQ/group trim/cue send pots that got bent up in a move.

Thanks!

Spencer
Reach out to Keith and Kathy from Recycled Audio. [email protected]

I've been able to get almost everything from them (all brand new parts).
Recycled Audio

Or reach out to Bruce Millet, since you're in LA.

best,
Mike
Old 15th April 2019
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
Spanzor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-661 View Post
Reach out to Keith and Kathy from Recycled Audio. [email protected]

I've been able to get almost everything from them (all brand new parts).
Recycled Audio

Or reach out to Bruce Millet, since you're in LA.

best,
Mike
Thanks Mike!

Actually just got my console back from Bruce on 2 Fridays ago, so we've been working together on a lot of it. I loved using this forum as a resource though, has helped me with a lot. Just wondering if Toolz or Sintech or anyone else out there knows what's happening.

Okay thanks!

I'll keep on Bruce for now
Old 15th April 2019
  #29
Gear Maniac
 
Spanzor's Avatar
 

Forum is back up!
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump