The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flea 12 versus Bock 251 ?? Condenser Microphones
Old 1st January 2014
I guess the shoot out didn't happen

Well I feel the f-12 is a really good mic in my studio
Definitely has what I'm looking for
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Guru

Well my quest for some new affordable C12 inspired overheads continues, I'm going to try out the Cathedral C12-CG from Stephen Bright asap.
Oliver body/transformer/parts and a refurbed original ck12 capsule done by Klaus Heyne.and affordable.
Old 1st January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Well my quest for some new affordable C12 inspired overheads continues, I'm going to try out the Cathedral C12-CG from Stephen Bright asap.
Oliver body/transformer/parts and a refurbed original ck12 capsule done by Klaus Heyne.and affordable.
I just turned my attention to this microphone last a few days ago, so i suppose my observation of your quest will also continue.

Meanwhile, another hip hooray for the Bock 251. It continues to amaze me.
Old 2nd January 2014
wow thats very cool let us know
Old 12th January 2014
It's interesting when you get to a certain level of mic
just a tube change can dramatically change the sound of a mic
So there is some sense of humor when comparing mics

Most of us dont have the final word on a species of mics
Yet we talk like we do out of convention.
Who has the time and willingness to try more then one of the same mic when demoing?
Just some thoughts passing through
Just the same I enjoy hearing people's experience

Last edited by mahasandi; 12th January 2014 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone ever try an Elam 251e and a Bock 241? close? or night and day
Old 21st October 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone ever try an Elam 251e and a Bock 241? close? or night and day
Old 20th January 2018
Many thanks to everyone who shared their valuable information. Any more feedback in 2018 ?
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Addict

I am very interested at this point as well. I have a Bock 251 and borrowed a friends for stereo with a grand piano and it was beautiful. I’m on a hunt for a pair of C12’s. Have heard that AC 701 tubes are not being used ? Or are they? with the Flea. I do not want to go the vintage route. Any new info on the the resent Flea? Was even thinking of going back to Tfunk and having them build a C12 pair.
Old 20th January 2018
SEED78
RMS build a amazing looking C12.
Old 21st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
I am very interested at this point as well. I have a Bock 251 and borrowed a friends for stereo with a grand piano and it was beautiful. I’m on a hunt for a pair of C12’s. Have heard that AC 701 tubes are not being used ? Or are they? with the Flea. I do not want to go the vintage route. Any new info on the the resent Flea? Was even thinking of going back to Tfunk and having them build a C12 pair.
Flea website says that the current F12 has 6072 Tube.

I see they have two F12 versions: F12 and vintage F12. I emailed them asking them about the difference as I couldn't tell from the description. I guess the comparison in this thread was made in this thread is between the vintage F12 and the Bock 251, right?
Old 22nd January 2018
Having owned an original C12 and a couple of clones. The Bock 251 is just an incredible microphone. Like caramel with a perfect top end. I was genuinely surprised with how amazing it sounds for a modern microphone. It led me to purchase 2 U99 Soundelux which also sound beautiful.
My favourite microphones are the Chandler REDD, Bock/Soundelux and HORCH. These to me, replace the old generations with ease. I'll be selling my C24 too I imagine.
Old 22nd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Having owned an original C12 and a couple of clones. The Bock 251 is just an incredible microphone. Like caramel with a perfect top end. I was genuinely surprised with how amazing it sounds for a modern microphone. It led me to purchase 2 U99 Soundelux which also sound beautiful.
My favourite microphones are the Chandler REDD, Bock/Soundelux and HORCH. These to me, replace the old generations with ease. I'll be selling my C24 too I imagine.
Have you compared the Bock 251 against the Flea 12?
Also, which Horch mic do you have? If it is the RM2J, have you compared it against these two microphones (251 & F12)?
Old 22nd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas Alshafai View Post
Have you compared the Bock 251 against the Flea 12?
Also, which Horch mic do you have? If it is the RM2J, have you compared it against these two microphones (251 & F12)?
No I don't have a F12. The Horch is a RM2J mk2. Yes I have compared the Horch but it is completely different. Much more like a good U47. I sold my Flea 47. I also have a NU47 I am waiting for a service on by Martin Kantola.
Old 24th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
No I don't have a F12. The Horch is a RM2J mk2. Yes I have compared the Horch but it is completely different. Much more like a good U47. I sold my Flea 47. I also have a NU47 I am waiting for a service on by Martin Kantola.
Thanks a lot, Paul. I'm following your posts on the REDD. How is the top end compared to Bock 251?
Old 24th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas Alshafai View Post
Thanks a lot, Paul. I'm following your posts on the REDD. How is the top end compared to Bock 251?
I'm afraid I haven't compared them directly yet. Only a matter of time.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search