The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brauner Phanthera vs U87..need some advice! Condenser Microphones
Old 28th September 2011
Here for the gear

Brauner Phanthera vs U87..need some advice!

hi everyone

i had a chance to use both mics,but in different studio, and i love both. I can't really decide wich one to get, since i can have each one at the same price (1600$ u87 used, brauner new).
do someone has some experience with the 2 mic?
These are some info about my needings:
I'm building a small project studio and i need a good workhorse mic to compliments my royer r121 and a sm57. I bought an api lunchbox loaded with 1 512c and a monogama and i have a gap pre 73 too.
I primarily record acoustic guitars voice and some minimal drumset, playing folk and some nick caveish music.
hope someone can help me!

Greetings from italy!
Federico
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Phantera.
NEW & better.
Old 29th September 2011
I own a Panthera, and love it. I have used a u87AI frequently.

Whenever I buy high end stuff, I consider resale. That's why I steer clear of Chinese made, little known manufacturers, or gear that doesn't have a good reputation.

The price you can get the Brauner for is good, but if you have to sell later on, you lose on depreciation. Expect to lose about $400.

The u87 is an excellent deal. If you had to sell later, you may even make a profit. When buying used stuff, there's always the risk of it being damaged, or mistreated...but you know it's good.

Personally, I'd go with the u87. You can always get a new Panthera, but a u87 in great condition at that price may be risky.

As for commenting on pairing it with your style, no need to comment. You've used both, so you already know!
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Alex View Post

Whenever I buy high end stuff, I consider resale.
If the OP is looking for a good mic then he should get the better one (Phantera). If the Phantera is a bettter mic it will definitely hold it's value.

Anyone in "high end" knows the quality of a Brauner ...
and down the road would most probably buy a used one over a used U87.
Old 29th September 2011
Here for the gear

i take my decision.
This morning i found a studio in rome that have the phanthera and the u87i.

they've been so kind to let me do a blind test.
I recorded voice(speech and singing), guitar , tambourine , shackers and for every application my preference fall everytine on one mic.
That mic was the brauner: i found that it was more focused detailed and rich.
And extremely cheaper than u87.
So i bought it
Old 29th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredweb View Post
i take my decision.

I recorded voice(speech and singing), guitar , tambourine , shackers and for every application my preference fall everytine on one mic.
So i bought it
Congrats on the Brauner, you won't be disappointed! Neumann is such a well respected name that I think that the reputation makes up for the cost. There are many Mics out there that perform just as well, or better, for the same price. Brauner is one of them.
Old 30th September 2011
Just to throw in there Lawson l47mkii is another one and is 2k. It demolishes a u87. Vocals are amazing, havent tried on ac though.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredweb View Post
i take my decision.

So i bought it
I was gonna say, if you're buyin' it for clients to see then I'd say the 87. If it was for your voice to sound the best get the Phanthera. Glad you're happy with your decision.
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Head

The Brauner, in my experience vs the u87, would be a hands down winner.

1. Costs less with room for appreciation
2. Tighter bottom end vs u87ai
3. Crystal clear highs without being too harsh (which 87ai has been known for)
4. Better male AND female vocal mic
5. One of my favorites on acoustic guitar
5. Surprisingly a good kick mic, amazing on snare

This goes to say that the vintage 87 would compare much better against the phanthera, but I feel like Brauner is picking up where Neumann made a wrong turn (probably management/turning it into a profit driven machine based on the name, cheaper components, capsules especially, etc) with their new stuff. Vintage Neumann, you cant beat it. The new stuff, eh...

Furthermore, Brauner is new and hungary competitors usually outperform their counterparts...just watch Rocky 3.
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear
a bit long after the fact of this thread - but wanted to chip in for future reference - I'd go for the phantom every time over a U87. You an easily 'mimic' a U87 with a phantom in many situations but you can't do the same with the neumann - as the brauner just has SO MUCH more bandwidth (meant in more of a sense than frequency response - it's just a far far more sensitive mic to EVERYTHING - not just the entire frequency band but transients and stuff the U87 could never pick up). Just use it with a transformered mic amp and you can do a lot to alter the character of the phantom. It's a DEEPLY underrated mic in my opinion... the U87 sounds like a sluggish turd in comparison... not that there aren't situations where that's a very useful thing...
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear
U87's have more parts readily available should something go south.
Old 20th May 2016
I love, LOVE Brauner microphones. High quality, great sounding German mics!
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmith View Post
a bit long after the fact of this thread - but wanted to chip in for future reference - I'd go for the phantom every time over a U87. You an easily 'mimic' a U87 with a phantom in many situations but you can't do the same with the neumann - as the brauner just has SO MUCH more bandwidth (meant in more of a sense than frequency response - it's just a far far more sensitive mic to EVERYTHING - not just the entire frequency band but transients and stuff the U87 could never pick up). Just use it with a transformered mic amp and you can do a lot to alter the character of the phantom. It's a DEEPLY underrated mic in my opinion... the U87 sounds like a sluggish turd in comparison... not that there aren't situations where that's a very useful thing...
Since the title of this thread mentions the Phanthera, I'm wondering if when you say Phantom you are actually meaning Phanthera
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Guy View Post
Since the title of this thread mentions the Phanthera, I'm wondering if when you say Phantom you are actually meaning Phanthera
no i meant phantom because it was mentioned just previous to my comment ...
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsmith View Post
no i meant phantom because it was mentioned just previous to my comment ...
No, it wasn't. Read back.

Phantom and Phanthera are pretty different sounding. Phantom is from the very clean, pristine side of the Brauner family, whereas Phanthera is from the "characterful" side of the family. In my mind the Phanthera has what the U87 is missing: fullness in all frequency areas, without being too sharp. I'm using Phanthera V a lot for VO tasks, because it has such a lovely juicy sound. Great for voices that need to absorb you in a warm bath.
Old 21st May 2016
I love the Phanthera, Phantom, Valvet, and Valvet X microphones. All outstanding in workmanship, quality and detailed sound. Brauner also designed a great shock mount for their microphones.

The one thing you need to remember is their mics pick up everything in the room. For a project studio having something like the SE Reflection Filter is very helpful in reducing unwanted sounds from entering the mic.

My niece sang into a Valvet mic in my studio. On playback several people in another room were amazed that it was playback. They thought she was singing live and doing another take.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I love the Phanthera, Phantom, Valvet, and Valvet X microphones. All outstanding in workmanship, quality and detailed sound. Brauner also designed a great shock mount for their microphones.

The one thing you need to remember is their mics pick up everything in the room. For a project studio having something like the SE Reflection Filter is very helpful in reducing unwanted sounds from entering the mic.

My niece sang into a Valvet mic in my studio. On playback several people in another room were amazed that it was playback. They thought she was singing live and doing another take.
Do you think Brauners pick up more room than,say, a U87ai?
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Glenn Bucci wrote:
Quote:
The one thing you need to remember is their mics pick up everything in the room.
This was certainly the case with my Valvet X Pure Cardioid (great mic BTW).
But don't the new capsules in the (cardioid) Brauners have a tighter pattern?
Earcatcher?
Old 21st May 2016
Quote:
Do you think Brauners pick up more room than,say, a U87ai?
I don't have a U87ai but Brauners picks up a little more sound from the room including every little sound from a vocalist than my Kiwi, Blueberry, or Manley Ref mic
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Glenn Bucci wrote:

This was certainly the case with my Valvet X Pure Cardioid (great mic BTW).
But don't the new capsules in the (cardioid) Brauners have a tighter pattern?
Earcatcher?
Yes, but still very sensitive mics.
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
No, it wasn't. Read back.

Phantom and Phanthera are pretty different sounding. Phantom is from the very clean, pristine side of the Brauner family, whereas Phanthera is from the "characterful" side of the family. In my mind the Phanthera has what the U87 is missing: fullness in all frequency areas, without being too sharp. I'm using Phanthera V a lot for VO tasks, because it has such a lovely juicy sound. Great for voices that need to absorb you in a warm bath.
hmm... that's ODD.. maybe I was reading too many other threads at the same time. I could have sworn someone stepped in and mentioned the phantom being a 'better' comparison to the U87, while still superior... well no matter. my point is still made... and the point is that you can still mostly mimic a U87 with a phantom with the right filtration... but not vice versa. The Phanthera is sort of it's own thing (a coloured phantom I suppose) but I think the phantom is a much better 'swiss army knife mic'...
Old 21st May 2016
Lives for gear
the phantom is esp. powerfully useful for kick drum, overheads, acoustic bass and anything else you throw at it... has an incredible 3D quality to it also...
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Addict

Not a problem with Brauner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage.One View Post
U87's have more parts readily available should something go south.

Since you can deal directly with the guy that designed the mics, and owns the company, I think this point is irrelevant. Brauner has been extremely quick to respond to me over the years even if I just shoot them a quick question. Their customer service is second to non.....and I've even had Dirk Brauner reply to messages himself. They would get things squared away quickly.
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJAZZ View Post
Since you can deal directly with the guy that designed the mics, and owns the company, I think this point is irrelevant. Brauner has been extremely quick to respond to me over the years even if I just shoot them a quick question. Their customer service is second to non.....and I've even had Dirk Brauner reply to messages himself. They would get things squared away quickly.
+1

And then some.

He'll even tune the mic to liking if you ask him.

And he'll match for stereo if you buy a second one later.
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

So I am wondering if any body knows what the differences are between the Phanthera and the Phantom I have owned the Phantom V for about 6 or 7 years now love it , and specifically chose it over the U87

Also if one wants to get a little insight about the man behind the company this 30 minute video gives a good glimpse I think. Yes it's a promo no doubt, but still representative of the company philosophy and ethic.
There is 3 minutes of very well recorded music I assume recorded on Brauners and then it gets to the meat of the subject very quickly. Love his no nonsense attitude about tube vs transistor

Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

I have heard the Phantom can be really bright. True?
Old 22nd May 2016
The Phantom has a open detailed top end but is not overly bright. Similar top end to a Kiwi or U87ai though it sounds a little different
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have heard the Phantom can be really bright. True?
If the source is most definitely. But that is more being accurate

For example it really makes obvious any string buzz associated or pops and clicks with any instance of poor playing technique on my Taylor 810 with especially with new strings .

This is an older recording of mine. In this song it is the vocal mic

In this again the vocal mic and is one of two mic's on the guitar

Last edited by KevWind; 22nd May 2016 at 09:27 PM..
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So I am wondering if any body knows what the differences are between the Phanthera and the Phantom I have owned the Phantom V for about 6 or 7 years now love it , and specifically chose it over the U87

Also if one wants to get a little insight about the man behind the company this 30 minute video gives a good glimpse I think. Yes it's a promo no doubt, but still representative of the company philosophy and ethic.
There is 3 minutes of very well recorded music I assume recorded on Brauners and then it gets to the meat of the subject very quickly. Love his no nonsense attitude about tube vs transistor

The Phantom is cheaper non-tube version of the VM1 personality......the Phanthera is a cheaper non-tube version of the VMX personality. If you look at their product chart on the Brauner web site it shows rather well how their different models fall in line. The VM1 is suppose to be more of a clean straight line of the source to your recording, the VMX is suppose to have a little more personality to it. All their other current production mics fall under the two flagship mics (VM1 or VMX).
Old 23rd May 2016
I mixed few albums where Brauners were used as vocal microphones, and I really had to fight with sibilances on all of them. Never had this problem with U87. You can also hear it in the example somewhere above, those esses kill the vibe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search