The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good and affordable EQ's to mix OTB 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 19th September 2011
Good and affordable EQ's to mix OTB

I just received an Egret (8 channel mixer) and want to move OTB as quickly as possible, but I'm a little short on funds right now... but still eager to move OTB.

So which EQ's should I look into, if I'm looking for corrective and sweetening EQ in the mixing stage that I'll connect to each channel of the Egret?
- High-end spec. but great value/price.
- Mono units (and 500-series) or dual mono units prefered.

Am I looking in the right direction if I'm thinking of the JDK Audio V14 or R24?

Thanks for any thoughts and experience.
And thanks for the thread "Good cheap comps to get me OTB!!" which got me some great info regarding comps.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

too much phase distortion in OTB eqs, even the better ones. You really have to spend some bucks to crawl out of the mire.
Old 19th September 2011
fdc
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
too much phase distortion in OTB eqs, even the better ones. You really have to spend some bucks to crawl out of the mire.
so the jdk r24 is still not good enough?

was looking into buying one for tracking and the mixbus...
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well I don't know if I would say that at all. I have seen the V14 in a number of high end guys studios. They use them for both tracking and mixing.
Old 19th September 2011
The JDK is a very clear sound, and I think they are useful equalizers for mixing, no question. Worth having a few around. The R24 has been great during tracking as a broad stroke box, while trying to be "out of the way" as far as tone/color completely. I always thought it played nicely with MY tone more than offering something on its own. Can't go wrong with either of these if you want clean, non-smearing, and balanced sounding eq.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Well I don't know if I would say that at all. I have seen the V14 in a number of high end guys studios. They use them for both tracking and mixing.

and I'm not commenting on the V-14 at all. Just that being short of funds is not a great time to buy an eq.

I see how I wrote that original post in an unclear way, sorry.
Old 19th September 2011
I've talked to my dealer and he'll send me a V14 this week, and if I like it I'll get another one.
I have a Gyraf eq and the Bax on the mix bus, but now looking for mixing eq on individual tracks. I also have two Api 560's that will do this.
Is the Speck or the Harrison 32 in the same category of quality (minimal phase problems and high head room) as the V14?
Old 19th September 2011
Thanks for your input!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

The 560's are nice! And I highly recommend the GR Harrison eq's. Those are very nice.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
and I'm not commenting on the V-14 at all. Just that being short of funds is not a great time to buy an eq.

I see how I wrote that original post in an unclear way, sorry.

I follow ya! Its all good.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

How much is too much money?
How many channels are you looking to get right now?
Old 19th September 2011
Anyone tried the Tonelux eq in the 500-series?
Old 19th September 2011
I'll be needing 6 channels.
If I'm happy with the V14's, then I'll be needing 4 channels of eq. Mono or dual mono units. And I'll try to stay on an average of 800 USD per channel.
Thanks!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a very happy user of the Audient Black EQ units, and have 2 units in a BB4 bucket, which is a proprietary enclosure slightly larger than the 500 series. These sell for about $350 each per module, and the the 4-space rack was about $375.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am a huge fan of the Harrison 32's I am wanting a rack of 8 eventually!

XJ
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could also try these.

Classic Audio Products of Illinois

For the Neve 1073 type thing.
Old 20th September 2011
Thanks!
I also just discovered ADT ToolMod... I'll dig in for more info on these EQ's, and if anyone has experience to share I'll be happy.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

In your budget, you should consider the SSL X-rack EQ modules as well !
The 4000 E series is a classic EQ for mixing.

Solid State Logic | Music
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwell View Post
I've talked to my dealer and he'll send me a V14 this week, and if I like it I'll get another one.
I have a Gyraf eq and the Bax on the mix bus, but now looking for mixing eq on individual tracks. I also have two Api 560's that will do this.
Is the Speck or the Harrison 32 in the same category of quality (minimal phase problems and high head room) as the V14?
I think the question should be asked the other way around: The V14 has a headroom of 24 dB, and the Speck a headroom of 28 dB...

I can not comment on the V14, but I can speak from experience taht anything Speck is of the highest quality and the Harrison 32EQ is a GREAT EQ as well. You can not go wrong with either one.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict
I too have been using a Speck EQ and I have been thinking of getting another one for more duties then just tracking. Now it makes me think even more about it.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

The fivefish are nice.
Old 21st September 2011
As for now I'll probably end up with 2x 560, 4x V14 (very affordable...) + 2x more "colored" units (Electrodyne 511, Tonelux EQ5P or Harrison 32) on my 8-channel mini-mixer setup (Egret).
Thanks for all your input!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
As for now I'll probably end up with 2x 560, 4x V14 (very affordable...) + 2x more "colored" units (Electrodyne 511, Tonelux EQ5P or Harrison 32) on my 8-channel mini-mixer setup (Egret).
Thanks for all your input!
I would not agree the Harrison 32EQ is a "coloured" sounding unit!
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Nut

PSP squad and NobleQ
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
I would not agree the Harrison 32EQ is a "coloured" sounding unit!
Not even compared to the V14?
(with "colored" I mean that it adds a little bit more of it's own sound)
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcomp View Post
PSP squad and NobleQ
Thanks, but I'm just looking for hardware EQ's at this stage.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not even compared to the V14?
(with "colored" I mean that it adds a little bit more of it's own sound)
I have not heard the V14. But the 32EQ is an exceptionally clean and transparent sounding eq, at least in my book. I would definitely not put it in the "coloured" department.
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
I have not heard the V14. But the 32EQ is an exceptionally clean and transparent sounding eq, at least in my book. I would definitely not put it in the "coloured" department.
Great to know your take on the Harrison, I'll probably go with the Electrodynes to break more from the V14's. Thanks!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Agreed

OP, get API and be done with it
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Agreed

OP, get API and be done with it
Yeah... I own five 550a (with the 6th being on the way) and a pair of Electrodyne 511. Two more 511 and a 32EQ are still on the list to fill the BAE 11-slot rack. To me these three are the greatest 500 series EQs, at least between all those I have already tried out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search