The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good and affordable EQ's to mix OTB 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
Yeah... I own five 550a (with the 6th being on the way) and a pair of Electrodyne 511. Two more 511 and a 32EQ are still on the list to fill the BAE 11-slot rack. To me these three are the greatest 500 series EQs, at least between all those I have already tried out.
Excellent info, thanks!
My setup will be: 2x API 560, 4x JDK V14, 2x Electrodyne 511
Old 21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
BFE MK3d or Filtek MK3
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
Yeah... I own five 550a (with the 6th being on the way) and a pair of Electrodyne 511. Two more 511 and a 32EQ are still on the list to fill the BAE 11-slot rack. To me these three are the greatest 500 series EQs, at least between all those I have already tried out.
Cool, guess I picked the right three, then! The 511's are really sweet. I think I actually learned the meaning of "euphonic" when I got my pair. Definitely colored. With my GR32 I did experiment with switching the feedback mode and preferred what I thought was the slightly more colored factory setting (can't remember which one that is). Not as noticeable as the Electrodynes, but not clinically transparent, either.
Old 21st September 2011
...I knew there was some kind of "color" in the Harrison :-)
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Nut

There is definitely a color to the Harrison. It's not nearly as noticeable as a neve or api eq per say, but it has something. You don't notice it so much right away when putting something through it, it's more about the results you get. in comparing them with other eq's, trying to eq the same vocal or something, some eqs are particularly more distinct in character. the Harrison Imparts it's thing to your signal in a subtle but pleasing way. I wasn't convinced by it at first, up against a Chandler little devil, and a 550a, but in the end I liked the results I got from it, and I preferred the added flexibility.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

There is someone selling a 2 ch Auditronics 4 band inductor eq on ebay.They are sweet and warm if you like two ch's of that sort of thing. Not a bad price for it either. I use auditronics eq's all the time and also use electrodyne,sphere,hammer,filtek and the auditronics stand with the rest of them in their own way!!They also have transformers in them !!!!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
For me the harrison was the versatility of an SSL channel eq wothout the punch of it..
A clean console eq, no mojo, not bad, not great, kinda meh, no way i was reaching for it unless i ran out of Api or any other eq that i have
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

i had work with the JDK Audio R24 2 Channel 4 Band EQ

very good eq !
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Jdk Audio R24
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwell View Post
Thanks, but I'm just looking for hardware EQ's at this stage.
So sorry. Blind in my old age. Arghhh
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdreamer View Post
There is someone selling a 2 ch Auditronics 4 band inductor eq on ebay.They are sweet and warm if you like two ch's of that sort of thing. Not a bad price for it either. I use auditronics eq's all the time and also use electrodyne,sphere,hammer,filtek and the auditronics stand with the rest of them in their own way!!They also have transformers in them !!!!
Thanks for this creative tip!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
Can anyone quick-compare the JDK to API 550B? (so to compare with something well known and kinda made by the same brand..)
Old 21st September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Anyone tried the Tonelux eq in the 500-series?
We have it in our Clipalator on all kinds of sources, as well as a video showing all parameters being tweaked.

War
Old 21st September 2011
I think I've listened to all EQ's in the Clipalator :-) that's why I asked about the Tonelux, because it sounded good there...
Old 21st September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Good ear......

War
Old 22nd September 2011
Maybe the LaChapell 503 could be a good choice for you.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I have lots of old 550's and an old electrodyne console full of those 2 band eq,s and they are both great, however, arent they both over the price you are looking to spend?
Harrison is way less colored than the 550 or dyne.
Old 23rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
I have lots of old 550's and an old electrodyne console full of those 2 band eq,s and they are both great, however, arent they both over the price you are looking to spend?
Harrison is way less colored than the 550 or dyne.
Yes, you're right. But since I got a really good deal on the V14, it kind of freed up some cash to go above 800 USD. (I had a plan for an average of 800/channel :-)
Just received one V14 and compared to the 560's it's a bit more clean (but not sterile) sounding and will definitely do the job in the mixing stage. It's really perfect if you're needs are within a budget.
Thanks again for all your input.
I'll probably go for the Electrodyne's for the color EQ, but the Harrison's has the filters which is an advantage also...
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Head

+1 GR Harrison
Old 27th September 2011
Just ordered some stuff, after a lot of planning and thinking this weekend... and my 8 channel stem mixing setup (built arond an Egret) will now consist of:
EQ: 2x JDK V14, 2x Electrodyne 511, 2x API 560 + stereo unit Gyraf 14
Comp: 2x BAC 500, 2x IC The Brute, JDK R22 + stereo unit Xpressor

Thanks goes out to you GS-members, some uploaded sound files and some advanced guessing... I've decided and made my move for my "final" setup, and at least I can't blame the gear if I don't get a better sound in my music. :-)
I hope I've cured my gear lust for a long while.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Head

good luck sir, very nice set up. Oh, and you can still blame the gear, that's why its there
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I've listened to all EQ's in the Clipalator :-) that's why I asked about the Tonelux, because it sounded good there...
I own a Tonelux EQ5P, 500 series Tonelux EQ..
I'm using it on vocals during live shows.. I waited veeeeery long for having it..
It sounds good, it's a very versatile 4 band, not very colored, more in the clean-ish territory, with the chance of narrowing the Q also.. It has all the features that I need..Sounds better than every digital board eq that you mostly find on the road (PM5D, M7CL, LS9, A&H digital, Roland..yes I know.. Roland).
For the money I would have expected a better feel on the pots and the paint is not so consistent.. But for the moment is fine..
I'm not shocked on how it sounds, it's not something that you go WOW IMO, but it's perfect for the job. The E27 sounds different of course and it's only 3 band with fixed frequencies, so it's a bit limiting for live use in my particular case, BUT that is a GREAT EQ, the pots are serious the feel is awesome and the sound is simply stellar.. Unfortunately no longer made.
Another eq that shocked me in a positive way was the electrodyne 511.. Very nice sounding piece..but of course it's too limiting in a live situation.

So summing it up the tonelux is a good eq at a not outrageous price that offers a LOT of flexibility for the small space it has and sounds good. Paul is a GREAT designer (captain obvious here heh), I just hope that PMI (who owns Tonelux) will not cheapen Paul's design by choosing cheaper materials to work with..
On the cheaper side I'd also check out the Speck EQ..looks like a good deal!

I wonder why API (which owns ATI) will not release a Paragon EQ for the 500 series (even better would be the ati pro6 channel strip in the 19").
Maybe it's a problem of limited space? That would be a GREAT sounding eq with a lot of flexibility..or also the Midas XL4 eq (that you also find in the XL42) is a nice eq.. Midas is probably to busy doing digital stuff and screwing up the rackmount version of the new venice LOL

Sorry for the long post,

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Im in the same boat, fishing for affordable eqs that is, but for mixing/tracking in studio. A lot of cool options here already, just wondering what you guys think about the older stuff:

NTP 182
telefunken w695 and all the siemens w 295 and neumann w series

all around 450 euros per channel seems like a pretty good price...
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

The 695 and 696 are really great eq's.
I have a pair of each.
They sound solid and also like how they have different freq's then api and neve.
Old 3rd October 2011
Gear Nut

anyone have thoughts on the focusrite red 2 ?
I see the on eBay for good prices. I would love to hear what people think of that piece.
Old 3rd October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48volts View Post
anyone have thoughts on the focusrite red 2 ?
I see the on eBay for good prices. I would love to hear what people think of that piece.
I've got one and absolutely love it. It's very hi-fi. Lots of gorgeous high end air can be had with this unit... it's pure polish and finish type of EQ, not surgical like a Neve or Harrison EQ. You can do a lot with it, to be sure, and it is worth having at least one!

Focusrite has a version of this EQ in their Red-6 Preamp but it's more like a surgical EQ than the 2 is. I also have one of these. The Red-6 is my favorite preamp for Snare-top.
Old 3rd October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao View Post
Im in the same boat, fishing for affordable eqs that is, but for mixing/tracking in studio. A lot of cool options here already, just wondering what you guys think about the older stuff:

NTP 182
telefunken w695 and all the siemens w 295 and neumann w series

all around 450 euros per channel seems like a pretty good price...
Telefunken is a bit newer (late eightties) still good
W492 W494 W491 can't go wrong

but my favorite of those is:
NTP 182-1xx (100-120-150)
Sonicworld sell them with a rack and psu (for around €1000 (without VAT))
With a bit of luck you could find individual modules on ebay.
watch it like a hawk
heh
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Telefunken is a bit newer (late eightties) still good
W492 W494 W491 can't go wrong

but my favorite of those is:
NTP 182-1xx (100-120-150)
Sonicworld sell them with a rack and psu (for around €1000 (without VAT))
With a bit of luck you could find individual modules on ebay.
watch it like a hawk
heh
I though they all sounded alike...So NTPs are better for you? good to know. thanks. I´ll try to find a pair. For what purpose do you the NTPs are most suitable?
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Addict

FYI i bought the 550a at like $750 used
u have to be patient!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search