The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Indusrty sounds Condenser Microphones
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Indusrty sounds

The other day i was in the studio recording and i was having a conversation with the engineer and he said there were secret sounds . Sounds that profesional industry producers pay tens of thousands for .
Is there there any truth in this ?
He sounded pretty serious
Old 18th September 2011
member no 666

Yeah - of course its true. There are lots of sounds we pay tens and tens of thousands to achieve... they're not necessarily secret... but they're sounds you pay what you can to achieve and acquire!!
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Silence is very expensive.

Studios shell out a LOT for it.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Yeah - of course its true. There are lots of sounds we pay tens and tens of thousands to achieve... they're not necessarily secret... but they're sounds you pay what you can to achieve and acquire!!
If there not secret would you be kind enough to share what they are?

Thanks
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

I meant secret sounds like vst's that no one else has .
Im just interested really
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantdavidwest View Post
If you can make your own, then of coarse there are ones that no one has.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

I've heard this myth from many of our clients... It's true if you consider the time it takes to create actual instruments and tune them properly.
You're probably not going to get a world class sounding track with a preset in a basement with a rookie engineer.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
The other day i was in the studio recording and i was having a conversation with the engineer and he said there were secret sounds . Sounds that profesional industry producers pay tens of thousands for .

Yes, it is true.

He's talking about 1) great rooms 2) great instruments 3) great (mostly vintage) mics like Neumann U47 VF14, M49, AKG C12, Elam 251 etc. 4) great analog mic pres, comps, EQs on the front end

That's pretty much the secret, and yes it will cost many tens of thousands of dollars to have all of that at your disposal 24/7.

Of course, many here will say all you need is a few sm57s and some talent; but that's why they are here posting on GS and the peeps making hit records are generally nowhere to be found.

Old 19th September 2011
Umm!

Quote:
Well I do have a rather fine Ex Royal Navy, Standard telephones and Cables
hydrophone pre amplifier, that sounds bitching on just about everything at just about any impedance or signal level you might want (up to 100dB gain at 30 to 50 ohms).
I have it on very good authority that this was, cold war era!, jolly new fan-gold germanium transistors malarky and what not, terribly hush hush dont'cha know old chap!. Remember, loose lips cost ships!
heh
Now young fella me lad, I am entrusting to you, a top secret document:

Well at least it was in britain in 1940, Now don't let it fall in to the wrong hands chaps!

Last edited by Bassmec; 19th September 2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Top Secret
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
First,learn how to spell industry
Old 19th September 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Once upon a time people who were part of the creative process used to create all kinds of sounds... sometimes they were "guitar sounds"... or "drum sounds"... or "fill in the blank" sounds... we'd beat on walls, chairs, windows... run bows across furniture [blah, blah, blah] and create sounds that enhanced the product being recorded - or took a sound and ran it through all kinds of hardware and reshaped an existing sound to be more of a sound that no one had ever heard before.

All of this takes time, skill, and the freedom from budgetary constrictions to be creative... which means they could easily cost "tens of thousands" [if you factor in the number of people who spend time on the project, the daily cost of the facility... and any "consumables" that may be consumed during the project].

Unique sounds don't come out of a box... they come from being creative and exploring. If you want to circumvent the process you'll never get unique and special sounds... you'll get the same crap everyone else has access to... unless of course you start with those sounds as a "base" and explore your way from there.

Peace
Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
There's no "secret VSTs". I think that would be called a "missed opportunity" in terms of sales, and no-one's going to turn sales down!

What you may be thinking of is a private composers' orchestral sample library. Privately funded recorded, it's extensive, hugely detailed, and very expensive (£5k+ per section). Not available for sale to the general public - you have to be invited to "buy in". No secret either....just not available unless you've got the rep and finances to be involved.

Plus, many engineers and producers have their own libraries of sounds that they've created, chosen, borrowed, "found" and so on. Again, no secrets, but obviously not everyone wants to share.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Indusrty sounds

Secret sounds....nah...private notes, samples, settings, tricks and (often) high end gear.. yes.

There are practically no secrets today. It has never been so easy to learn about music recording, mixing and producing. But it's still experience and taste that makes the difference.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search