The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape Masters Transfer to Digital (Chicago)
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Tape Masters Transfer to Digital (Chicago)

I have some album masters on 1/2" that need to be converted to high quality digital. These are from the project of a close family friend who used to be signed to a major in the 70's.

The masters are old enough, and have been untouched, such that they may very well have to be baked first.

I am hoping there is someone who specializes in this type of work. The tapes are located in Chicago, so local would be great, but what is most important is to get this right. Since it's his own masters, the friend is less price sensitive, but needs to know it's in excellent hands. Shipping is an option if the service is world class.

Hoping my fellow GS'ers would have some recommendations. I have the necessary specs written down and can get more technical if need be.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Several people in Nashville were set up to do this, though I don't know if they still are or not, because I don't know how much baking is done anymore. Not all tape formulations need to be baked, though.
Old 19th September 2011
I think Bob Weston has a ATR-102 1/2" over at Chicago mastering.

You can also give these guys a call:
Ultimate Multitrack Analog to Digital Transfers - Sonicraft A2DX Lab
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Gents,

Thank you VERY much for this, excellent information and I have passed it on. A great example of the positive benefit of being involved in a community like GS. Thanks again!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Wall to Wall has every tape machine size, in very good working order. I am pretty sure they do transfers.

Also my former business partner Joe archives for the Old Town School of Folk Music. Pretty sure they could do it as well. They use apogees and archive at 96k 24b unless specified otherwise.

Cheers
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

both places will bake as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search