The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pair of U195 or a pair of UMT70? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Pair of U195 or a pair of UMT70?

Buying a pair of workhorses to round out my mic locker. Between these two choices (and I'm definitely down to these two and am not looking at for suggestions on other microphones), which would you choose? I've heard them both and know the differences, but naturally the U195 is a cheaper option. Should I grab a pair the Bocks and spend the difference on a pair of small diaphragms? Or the Gefells? Decisions, decisions...
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardroom View Post
Buying a pair of workhorses to round out my mic locker. Between these two choices (and I'm definitely down to these two and am not looking at for suggestions on other microphones), which would you choose? I've heard them both and know the differences, but naturally the U195 is a cheaper option. Should I grab a pair the Bocks and spend the difference on a pair of small diaphragms? Or the Gefells? Decisions, decisions...
Well, since you've heard them.....

I would consider both to be EPIC workhorses. Me, I'm going two UMT70s, no question [W-W-I-D?]

I have a 195, and I love this microphone for a lot of things. The UMT70s, is another extremely versatile microphone in my book, yet both of these microphones have their distinct characters to express. I find them radically different sounding personally. Both solid state, but the Bock uses a big ol' output transformer, which I think gives the microphone something magical in the "weight" department. Of course the FAT switch really helps to couple the mic to the source.

I find it to be a clean, bright but natural sound. The top end is pleasing and not strident, still open and present. Like any microphone it requires some work on the source, but once your there, you'll have a very easy to bend/mold/craft sound. It has a great upper mid range presence that has something unique to my ear...yet this mic can be put anywhere - loud sources, outside the kick, on a rock session, bass cab's whatever....

I need more Gefell's in my arsenal. I like that the Gefell has a transformer-less amplifier with an incredibly demanding spec. because I am becoming a purist, but I have plenty of color elsewhere. These little buggers are Low noise, high in dynamic's, they present a flatter even tonality without any weight, color, tone additional to the amazing balance and soft top end response of the capsule. I find their M7 capsule to be of the best sounding things I have ever witnessed, in every mic that they employ one, and this microphone solidifies that for me, with its clean output. I do find I can stick it anywhere and use it on loud sources without issue, or transients becoming muck.

As well, something to really consider; the multi-pattern functionality of the UMT70s, opposed to the Bock 195 which is just cardioid pattern, so this fact widens the lens of this sniper scope. You'd have a lot more stereo recording techniques available with a pair of UMT70s. Though as you point out, a pair of 195's and some SDC's could be a good call too...just depends how you really want to round out the cabinet, and make your investment a potent one for your business.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search