The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quested V2108 too big for 15x10x8 room?? Studio Monitors
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quested V2108 too big for 15x10x8 room??

My room is only 15'x10' with 8' ceilings with the desk setup on the 15' plane - not good, I know that the desk should be setup so as the speakers are firing into the longest part of the room, but this is just not practical due to the position of the doorways.

With a room of this size - would Quested V2108 's be too big for this room?

At the moment I use NS10's (bought brand new about a month before they were discontinued) and some Celestion Ditton 100 hifi speakers (nice sounding speakers, sealed enclosures with 6" mid-bass - they translate well and are not fatiguing) - I also have some original Auratones which are not currently plugged in.

Basically I am looking for more full range, accurate speakers but I am struggling to decide whether an 8" mid-bass driver would be too big for the size room that I have. I want to be able to monitor at low levels with a better full range picture and also be able to turn them up and impress clients with room filling bass (more chest pounding than the 6" drivers that I am used to - also without using a sub).

Where I live it would be almost impossible to organize a demo in my own space.

Can anyone please give me any advise?

P.S. I did a search before posting - nothing came back mentioning the V2108 's

saggsy
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Not if you treat it properly.
U need a massive amount of bass trap and absorption for lower mid frequency to have it sound right in a small room.
Old 18th September 2011
The V2108's are GREAT!!!!!

Just mixed a record with them. Translated perfectly....these speakers are the TRUTH!!!!! I absolutely love them and they are WONDERFULLY improved from the previous VS2108. If anyone is local to Boston, [Quincy, MA] PM me and I would be happy to demo them for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Quested V2108 too big for 15x10x8 room??-bigt.jpg  
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Roc, I see that you have them set up in more of a mid field position - I'd have them set up on top of the
meter bridge like your mackie's. Have you tried your Questy's in the typical nearfield 'on top of the meter bridge' position yet??

What size is your room there Roc?

saggsy

-----------------------
Matt Saggs
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by saggsy View Post
Roc, I see that you have them set up in more of a mid field position - I'd have them set up on top of the
meter bridge like your mackie's. Have you tried your Questy's in the typical nearfield 'on top of the meter bridge' position yet??

What size is your room there Roc?

saggsy

-----------------------
Matt Saggs
Hey Matt,

I don't have those dim's off hand, but I will find out from my partner and PM them to you when I get a second. This is a newer spot for me, and I've been working out of this space for about 8 months, so its taken some getting acquainted, and really, a lotta tweaking. We have been making some changes to the room now to get it sounding even better, since putting those speakers in there, REALLY changed the game with the hardware we have. Our control room does have a higher ceiling, but we really do need a cloud above the mix spot. Just found out we are adding another layer of 5/8 sheet rock to the back wall too. And we'll be adding more diffusion there, plus some trapping throughout. Basically, there is a ton of stuff to still accomplish, but I am not stopping.

These speakers translate perfectly for me. Without doing any mixing, you listen on those HR24's and it sounds absolutely terrible, and after mixing on the Quested's, they sound MUCH BETTER, as does your mix everywhere else. And to answer your question, yes I have tried them in near field here, and in more spots and I find they sound and work better in mid to far field position for me. They are extremely accurate speakers, and are sharply detailed at extremely low levels, and do go really loud considering they are 2-ways. If you are thinking about going for near fields on the console, than I would suggest checking out the Quested SR8's, or SR7's. If you really have your heart set on the V2108's [after you hear them of course] than I would advise in getting the Quested Stand System for the V2108, put back behind your console if you can.
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear
Bumping an old thread.. Did you ever get the answer to this?

I have a room with similar dimensions and am curious whether these are too big?!
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Addict

I have 2108's in just a slightly larger room and love them to death. wish the room was bigger but the speakers are not in any way too big for the room, just find myself standing back from the console alot, which is a real good thing for my workflow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search