The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic for vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 5th January 2013
  #91
Lives for gear
 
Bishbashbosh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker View Post
Stiiiiiiill haven't found.... what I'm looking for (singing)
But I'm enjoying a C414 ULS on my vocals at the moment.
I have a 414 ULS, and it's a great workhorse, generally sounding pretty good on most sources...
Never really loved it on vocals though (even though I'd love it to sound great..!)... Just a bit thin sounding to me...
Maybe it's the pre...? What do you use it with that makes you love it?
Old 5th January 2013
  #92
Gear Head
 
jtea's Avatar
I see Manley Ref C's on the used market for under 3k, but if you want similar results for less, try the Blue Kiwi, the Blue Bottle Rocket with B6 cap, or the Mojave MA-200. These all came to my mind as being in your sonic ballpark. All are nice on acoustic too.

In my experience, you should save up and get the mic you wanted in the first place. I hemmed and hawed on my dream mic, bought many others that were passable and close and actually ended spending more money in the long run that way, before eventually just breaking down and buying the grail mic anyway.

Go find a used Manley and be happy!
Old 5th January 2013
  #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtea View Post
In my experience, you should save up and get the mic you wanted in the first place. I hemmed and hawed on my dream mic, bought many others that were passable and close and actually ended spending more money in the long run that way, before eventually just breaking down and buying the grail mic anyway.
Ditto. While trying all those different mics was an education, I eventually just bought the "grail" mics I was always trying to "get for less" and am happier for it.
Old 5th January 2013
  #94
Here for the gear
 
purps's Avatar
 

If you like the manley and want to spend less i suggest you try out a neumann tlm127 they dont make them anymore, and its one of my favorite vocal mics.
You can find one for under 1200 $ on ebay, maybe less. This is a mic that hasmany uses a good mic to keep 'just in case'. Make sure it comes with the shock mount.
I prefered this on some tracks over my gold.
Gl

Sent from my SGH-I747
Old 5th January 2013
  #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishbashbosh View Post
I have a 414 ULS, and it's a great workhorse, generally sounding pretty good on most sources...
Never really loved it on vocals though (even though I'd love it to sound great..!)... Just a bit thin sounding to me...
Maybe it's the pre...? What do you use it with that makes you love it?
Ma5 to mc77 to ensemble or 525 instead of mc77
Old 5th January 2013
  #96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtea View Post
I see Manley Ref C's on the used market for under 3k, but if you want similar results for less, try the Blue Kiwi, the Blue Bottle Rocket with B6 cap, or the Mojave MA-200. These all came to my mind as being in your sonic ballpark. All are nice on acoustic too.

In my experience, you should save up and get the mic you wanted in the first place. I hemmed and hawed on my dream mic, bought many others that were passable and close and actually ended spending more money in the long run that way, before eventually just breaking down and buying the grail mic anyway.

Go find a used Manley and be happy!
Yes how is the blue kiwi?
Old 7th January 2013
  #97
If you think the Manley mic is the best, then that's the mic u should get. Sell some other stuff if u have to to get it. Nothing trumps getting a great vocal sound in a recording.
Old 11th January 2013
  #98
Gear Nut
 
Sonic Sweets's Avatar
 

Hey OP, I'm in a similar boat right now and have the Manley at the top of my list. My current vocal go-to's are tlm103, sm7b, baby bottle, at4040, ntv.. So far I've auditioned the Manley, u87ai (hated it) and the peluso p12 and 22 251. I liked the pelusos quite a bit, especially the p12, but I also know that I'm still going to be lusting after the Manley if I drop money on a peluso.. What it has to offer beyond my current collection just isn't quite enough. But, I would recommend the p-12 to someone who only has one or two other mics. It sounds really good.

Going to hear a few more mics today- mojave 300, m147, akg "the tube", a couple Lawson's, and some vintage classics as well (for comparisons sake). I'll report back!

Oh, and as far as the kiwi goes, I've used it once and really liked the tonality of it (awesome on a room mic as well), but worry that it has too much of a sonic signature. Still on my list though! Also enjoyed the rocket stage2 with b6 and a Korby convertible (cant remember what capsule)
Old 11th January 2013
  #99
Gear Addict
 
at4033's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Soundelux e49
Old 11th January 2013
  #100
yeah man, many people do not know how great that mic is! smooth...even... great tone.
Old 11th January 2013
  #101
Lives for gear
 

book a studio that has lots of mics within your budged - book three hours. sing into each - and you will know what you like. everything else is guessing and pointless. we dont know what your voice sounds like, nor what sound you are trying to achieve.
alternatively you could go to a shop that has lots of mics for demo and check it out there. no forum will give you proper advice. tastes differ - just as voices do. maybe you'll like a m149 but perhaps you will find a re-20 just perfect...
Old 12th January 2013
  #102
Lives for gear
 
gear is cool's Avatar
Sm58 or a U47 - they both sound good.
Old 12th January 2013
  #103
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear is cool View Post
Sm58...sound good.
are u looking for a reaction with that comment?
here's one
Old 13th January 2013
  #104
Lives for gear
 
gear is cool's Avatar
I don't know about you but when someone asks "what mic sounds good on vox"
I tend to think which color guitar is good for clean sounding guitars.
The answer is
Old 13th January 2013
  #105
Gear Addict
 
Ryan Gregory's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker View Post
Yes how is the blue kiwi?
Tried the kiwi on my voice, which is pretty low and prone to muddiness, and it was way too smooth for me. Made my voice sound really boring. Less punch than u87ai or c414xls. I'm currently putting together some cash for a ref c, hoping for more detail and clarity (and good presence)
Old 13th January 2013
  #106
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Not sure if this is allowed in the high end forum, but I'm a big fan of the mojave fet!!.. Beautiful mic..
Old 13th January 2013
  #107
Here for the gear
 

You might need a vintage condenser mic with a 1950s' style warm sound, such as the one used in the following audio sample.
Attached Files

Male Vox.wav (2.21 MB, 212 views)

Old 13th January 2013
  #108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3uaudio View Post
You might need a vintage condenser mic with a 1950s' style warm sound
who doesn't?!
Old 8th February 2013
  #109
So finally, this journey has come to its end, I have found a mic (for now hehe), it is sweet sounding, this is night and day difference my friends. This is not a honky u87, nor a sibilant Peluso, nor a harsh tlm49... it is the Miktek CV4. If anyone of you, like me, disslike the above mentioned mics, give this one a try, fantastic mic! Thanks all.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump