The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great river ME1NV for metal Channel Strips
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Great river ME1NV for metal

Getting rid of my lunchbox:

A) because I don't need it
B) I'm clearing my stuff because I'm running out of space

So I was looking at the Great River, I would like a standalone one channel API.. But seen as they don't do one in that price range.

What's the ME like on screamers and high and low powered metal singer?

API does a good job, but will this particular GR keep up?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
Well, I have both a GR and API in my lunchbox and have used them on metal. The GR is great on big wide vocals and for micing fat guitars. I was micing up 57s,sm7b on marshal stacks and it was killer. Also killer Di for big round bass. I didn't like DI amp sim guitars though that much with the GR, as I did with the API because of the way it cuts. Miced up though the GR was good for metal guitar and ok for metal vocals depending on the kind, but mostly big fat guitars. I preffer the API on a lot of metal sources on how fast and aggresive it is which works well in the genre, but different strokes for different folks. The way I think about it...The Great River is a slower creamy fat flavor and the API is like a candy coated punch in the gut. As far as stacking though I can stack all day with the API. I don't really stack a whole song using just the GR because it sounded like honey shwishing around. That can be a good thing though sometimes Both are great and can work on different instruments and elements.

Some descriptive words....

API:Fast,punchy,colorful, aggressive,screaming, leads, snare, attack. GR:Thick,Acoustic, big,warm,Rhythm,lush, room mics
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
Well, I have both a GR and API in my lunchbox and have used them on metal. The GR is great on big wide vocals and for micing fat guitars. I was micing up 57s,sm7b on marshal stacks and it was killer. Also killer Di for big round bass. I didn't like DI amp sim guitars though that much with the GR, as I did with the API because of the way it cuts. Miced up though the GR was good for metal guitar and ok for metal vocals depending on the kind, but mostly big fat guitars. I preffer the API on a lot of metal sources on how fast and aggresive it is which works well in the genre, but different strokes for different folks. The way I think about it...The Great River is a slower creamy fat flavor and the API is like a candy coated punch in the gut.
Yeah if only API did a single (Non Lunchbox) edition like the GR..
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyvect View Post
Yeah if only API did a single (Non Lunchbox) edition like the GR..
Yeah that's why I ended up buying a lunchbox with both :P Originally it was just to get the API, but after using both had to keep both :P

There is the lunchbox, the API a2d (2channel), the 2 channel lunchbox module racks and the api 4 channel. Not much choice beyond that. It works in price if you are buying 2 of any 500 series modules and doing the lunchbox route. Otherwise 19" racks of other pres
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
BAE makes a 1 channel "api" rackmoung 312A

as does Black Lion Audio (through Alto Music) Black Lion Audio B12A 1/2 Rack Mic Pre | Alto Music

you could always get a 2 space 500 series rack (A Designs, avedis, API, Empirical labs...) and as state above.. the API A2D is killer... also there are the two different api channel strips...
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
BAE makes a 1 channel "api" rackmoung 312A

as does Black Lion Audio (through Alto Music) Black Lion Audio B12A 1/2 Rack Mic Pre | Alto Music

you could always get a 2 space 500 series rack (A Designs, avedis, API, Empirical labs...) and as state above.. the API A2D is killer... also there are the two different api channel strips...

Couldn't find anwhere that sells the BLA in europe, so I'm looking into the BAE.. Thank's for that
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Getting rid of my lunchbox:

A) because I don't need it
B) I'm clearing my stuff because I'm running out of space

So I was looking at the Great River, I would like a standalone one channel API.. But seen as they don't do one in that price range.

What's the ME like on screamers and high and low powered metal singer?

API does a good job, but will this particular GR keep up?
Absolutely, I have cut lots of agressive vocals through this preamp, with dynamics/condensers and its always worked out great for me and my clients. I like using the MEQ1NV [ME1NV pre + EQ1NV eq] and the things you can do to shape the vocal inside the extremely agressive arrangements is mind baffling.
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Absolutely, I have cut lots of agressive vocals through this preamp, with dynamics/condensers and its always worked out great for me and my clients. I like using the MEQ1NV [ME1NV pre + EQ1NV eq] and the things you can do to shape the vocal inside the extremely agressive arrangements is mind baffling.

Nice one ROC!! Bet it sounds nice on the cleans especially.. How they looking with the SM7B! Which is pretty much defacto for metal nowdays?
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Nice one ROC!! Bet it sounds nice on the cleans especially.. How they looking with the SM7B! Which is pretty much defacto for metal nowdays?
That's one of my favorite chains possible. Electric's, Vox, Drums, what else ya got?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search