The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M Jackson 'Beat It' vocal reverb -- EMT 140 or EMT 250? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

'Beat It' vocal reverb is EMT 140 or EMT 250?

Slim chance it's a Lexicon 224?
Old 16th September 2011
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

http://mj.vivomi.com/news-the-making...s-thriller.php

EMT 250 seems right.....at least Bruce Swedien mentioned it for Billie Jean.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

i wonder if that was specifically regarding the drums, seemed to tie into the previous paragraph...

though the more i listen the more i think it's the 250 on the voice in any case

thanks for that btw!

(and assinger, if you're actually bruce incognito passing along some info, then thanks bruce -- i noticed your first ever post on gearslutz was some fabulously niche information. and if you're not bruce then thanks whoever you are!)
Old 16th September 2011
I think it has been mentioned by Bruce before... Most of the Thriller record reverb is an early Ecoplate1 built by Jim Cunningham. The Ecoplates were brighter (stainless steel) but less diffused than an Emt 140 (which used some rare magic German cold rolled steel).
Old 16th September 2011
Me thinks it was the Echoplate II. Nice box, I got one for free.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

So it's plate verbs on instrumentation, EMT 250 on vocals?
Old 17th September 2011
I think it's mostly Ecoplate on vox and drums for the whole record. I hear what sounds like a short 250 setting on the congas in PYT.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

For getting an echoplate vibe digitally, just take a plate verb plugin, set the diffusion low, set the low pass all the way up at 20k or [off] ? and do very gentle 1.5 db shelf boost on high freqs either before or after verb?

busy figuring out how to implement this RTAS, I don't have UAD cards. any recommended plug? i know anything will work if made to, everything's pretty good, but there's probably something I don't know about
Old 14th October 2011
Gear Addict

that change anyone's mind?

did the consensus say 250?
Old 2nd November 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Wow, I stumbled on to this, you hear it clearly!!!
Wow! That was really cool to hear. Thanks for posting.
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
For getting an echoplate vibe digitally, just take a plate verb plugin, set the diffusion low, set the low pass all the way up at 20k or [off] ? and do very gentle 1.5 db shelf boost on high freqs either before or after verb?

busy figuring out how to implement this RTAS, I don't have UAD cards. any recommended plug? i know anything will work if made to, everything's pretty good, but there's probably something I don't know about
Products <------ #Voila!

use the vst to rtas wrapper and your good to go! i stumbled upon this the other day..they have audio examples but they drowned the examples in verb but you get the just of the plug hope this helps....or use TL SPACE.....and get the impulses..thats what i did previously to findin this gem

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search