The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee DA-16
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Apogee DA-16

The old purple DA-16s are still alive and kicking on Ebay. I have a Big Ben clocking a couple high end 2 channel DACs and an RME RayDat. I'm considering an old DA-16 for cheap summing out of the box. Is it reasonable to expect good results with superior clocking or will it just end up being glorified turd polishing with respect to DA conversion.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its Apogee not yorkville conversion, it will rock...
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegamble2 View Post
The old purple DA-16s are still alive and kicking on Ebay. I have a Big Ben clocking a couple high end 2 channel DACs and an RME RayDat. I'm considering an old DA-16 for cheap summing out of the box. Is it reasonable to expect good results with superior clocking or will it just end up being glorified turd polishing with respect to DA conversion.
I think the reality is somewhat in-between - it's a decent converter, but in my experience Lynx, RME, Mytek and the newer Apogee X-series are better. In particular, I found the high end to be a bit harsh, which was a problem for acoustic (classical/jazz/folk) mixes but depending on genre might actually be an asset for some styles of rock/pop. Whether that difference will be significant enough for you to justify the price difference is another question...
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Alright, I'll go for the AD-16X which is about half the $$$ of the Symphony. Thanks for the feedback.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search