The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone got any C200HD tips? Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone got any C200HD tips?

Anyone got any SSL C200HD tips?

Fancy knowing some tricks to make the desk more versatile...

is there a vegas mode?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Make good use of the grouping and linking of controls like aux sends and dynamics as well as fader grouping and VCAs

Experiment with the different EQ types on a per channel basis. Cab definitely provide some very different results.

Pay attention to your clocking setup. In an all digital system it's pretty important and certainly affects the sound depending on how you set it up.

The automation and snapshot system is powerful, learn it well and it's awesome

Templates. I had a bunch of different templates saved as snapshots that I'd use depending on the situation. It will save you a bunch of time.

With this console, there are many ways to operate it so you really have to find your own personal workflow with it. It seems like this was SSL's attempt to make one console for every market (film, tv, music, mobile, etc.), so it does a lot and is very flexible, almost to the point of being too much. If youre operating a commercial space with it, it can be a little intimidating to most outside engineers. It does take some time to get used to, and you can definitely make a dumb mistake really quick and completely screw your whole mix, so save early and save often!

I would recommend some quality outboard to go with it. If you're tracking an mixing through it, it could be a little stale and need some other flavor. I'm not saying it's a bad sounding console, quite the contrary. I personally found myself reaching for that analog mojo a lot when using it.

It's got a ton of headroom, play with that and see where the sweet spot is.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Make good use of the grouping and linking of controls like aux sends and dynamics as well as fader grouping and VCAs

-oh will get more into linking - been copying and pasting a lot!

Experiment with the different EQ types on a per channel basis. Cab definitely provide some very different results.

- yeah big on that....

Pay attention to your clocking setup. In an all digital system it's pretty important and certainly affects the sound depending on how you set it up.

its clocked via an antelope osx-v

The automation and snapshot system is powerful, learn it well and it's awesome

im half way deep with the auto - more to learn im sure....

Templates. I had a bunch of different templates saved as snapshots that I'd use depending on the situation. It will save you a bunch of time.

With this console, there are many ways to operate it so you really have to find your own personal workflow with it. It seems like this was SSL's attempt to make one console for every market (film, tv, music, mobile, etc.), so it does a lot and is very flexible, almost to the point of being too much. If youre operating a commercial space with it, it can be a little intimidating to most outside engineers. It does take some time to get used to, and you can definitely make a dumb mistake really quick and completely screw your whole mix, so save early and save often!

- its in a facility im in house - so no danger there

I would recommend some quality outboard to go with it. If you're tracking an mixing through it, it could be a little stale and need some other flavor. I'm not saying it's a bad sounding console, quite the contrary. I personally found myself reaching for that analog mojo a lot when using it.

- covered, and agreed!

It's got a ton of headroom, play with that and see where the sweet spot is.

oh? - are you talking mixbus or just generally? - please eloborate?
Hey man - thanks very much..

made some comments within the quote!

much appreciated!

OH is it possible to null faders on this console - so when i have my static mix that im happy with - can i null that mix so all faders goto 0db on?????
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Yea, there's a couple ways of doin that, as with everything on that console lol

There is a function, I believe it is accessed via the software display but it may be a hard button as well, I don't recall off the top o my head. But it's basically an all faders to zero switch.

Or you could do it by using the trim automation.

The facility I worked at was clocked with the whole Antelope 10M setup and it sounded reaaaaalllllyyyy good
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Doesn't Setai have one of these? My buddy Ian works there. His mixes are stellar, but yeah, he was one of these guys that wasn't afraid to jump on a board as well and he told me it was a lot to take in at first.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Doesn't Setai have one of these? My buddy Ian works there. His mixes are stellar, but yeah, he was one of these guys that wasn't afraid to jump on a board as well and he told me it was a lot to take in at first.
Yea. That's actually the place I worked. I opened that facility as their assistant/house engineer. A nice room but I couldn't deal with the politics so I left.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Yea, there's a couple ways of doin that, as with everything on that console lol

There is a function, I believe it is accessed via the software display but it may be a hard button as well, I don't recall off the top o my head. But it's basically an all faders to zero switch.

Or you could do it by using the trim automation.

The facility I worked at was clocked with the whole Antelope 10M setup and it sounded reaaaaalllllyyyy good

YEah sounds good - problem is the 0 db to faders button loses my initial balance! i want to null not change the balance - help? be really amazing to be able to do this!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
YEah sounds good - problem is the 0 db to faders button loses my initial balance! i want to null not change the balance - help? be really amazing to be able to do this!
In that case you would want to use trim automation.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search