The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fav Hardware EQ? (mainly for pop vocals) 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fav Hardware EQ? (mainly for pop vocals)

Come on you know you want to.......

im loving the chandler TG channel particularly for vocals......
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Neve 1084
API550B
Manley Massive TubeEqualizer
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

just discovered the RND 5033, and it compliments the eq on the TG Channel very well!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Depends:

Tracking, usually Kush Clariphonic+Portico 5033, If the singer sounds too small, a touch of 100hZ with Retro 2a3

Mixing:
API 5500 to help the vocals better sit in the mix
5033 if I need to go surgical
CLM Dynamix Expounder can also be really nice. Not as surgical as 5033 but has it's own clear sound in the highs I really like on many vocals+the filters are great.
A-Design Hammer if I want the highs to shine and just to open the track a little bit on low- or highmids.
Depends on the project and need.

-- Mikko
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

There's so many! Lol

GML

Manley massive passive

Pultec

API 550s

Neve 1084

SSL board EQs

Recently gave the A Designs Hammer a go and i liked it a lot
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

GML 8200

API 550A/B

NTI EQ

SSL 4000

NEVE 88R

Not on any particular order really...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ask 2 guys, get 6 answers!

Avalon 2055
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane View Post
Depends:

Tracking, usually Kush Clariphonic+Portico 5033, If the singer sounds too small, a touch of 100hZ with Retro 2a3

-- Mikko
wow - how do you have the clariphonic setup? both engines?

before or after the portico?

Old 15th September 2011
No question about it. The A Designs Hammer. I've used so many EQs over the years and the Hammer does a better job than anything else (IMHO).
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Manley Massive Passive.
Old 15th September 2011

The Avedis E27 was my favorite at this particular duty... but, those have become harder to find than Waldo.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

I don't have a favorite, everything's got its uses, but the Tonelux is near the top of my list in almost any app.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I will use various EQs to add different tone or character on vox, but my Empirical Labs LilFreq is on every mix for clean up and smoothing duties.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

or
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pulse Techniques "Pultec" or clone, Hammer, API
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

this is a weird question. what are you trying to get out of the eq? do you have to fix something? or are you talking about sweetening? what sound are you looking for?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mic Placement

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th September 2011
500 series nutjob

i have a number of EQ's i love but i think the The A Designs Hammer is the one i am totally head over heals in love with the most often!

Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Mic Placement

Peace
Illumination

Triple face slap.

No mic placement on the face of the earth can do what a 1084 can do...

One of those things that sounds cool but just isn't real in application.
Old 17th September 2011
Massive Passive for the sweetness.
API 550a or 550 for the dirt.
Old 17th September 2011
Original Focusrite ISA 110

Perfection.
I love that one.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb View Post

Triple face slap.

One of those things that sounds cool but just isn't real in application.
The title of this thread is Fav Hardware EQ.

Mine is mic placement. I never said that it was better or worse than a 1084.

One thing I can't always take with me to a tracking session is an EQ, especially if its larger or doesn't like being moved. So an OG showed me about how mic placement (and selection) is like an EQ.

Since I got into mic placement over tracking EQ, I barely track with EQ. Do I use EQ during mixing? Sure.

Favorite is a Pultec.

I guess all Coke you've done warrants the triple faceslap?

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i think you got a triple face slap because of your 5 icons, they seem to imply that the use of eq hardware is necessary to correct flaws due to improper or sub-par mic placement, when in fact it is the coloration and harmonic excitement and manipulation of tone that make something like the Neve or the Pultec or the API or whatever else attractive and independent of the other processes and also irreplaceable. At one stage it is sound waves and at another it is electricity...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Haven't gotten to use many of the oft-mentioned great EQ's, but I will say that a click or two on one of my Electrodyne 511's is as close to a magic bullet as anything I've experienced in the gear world.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fav Hardware EQ? (mainly for pop vocals)

Depends but the usual suspects are pultec eqp1 and neve. Siemens w295 is a great eq as well.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

fivefish peq503
perfect for vocals
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc449 View Post
Neve 1084
API550B
Manley Massive TubeEqualizer
yep, exactly the same
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindkontrolle View Post
i think you got a triple face slap because of your 5 icons, they seem to imply that the use of eq hardware is necessary to correct flaws due to improper or sub-par mic placement, when in fact it is the coloration and harmonic excitement and manipulation of tone that make something like the Neve or the Pultec or the API or whatever else attractive and independent of the other processes and also irreplaceable. At one stage it is sound waves and at another it is electricity...
So just because some anonymous dude on the internet says he likes a Neve 1084 that automatically means he knows what he's doing in the real world as a tracking engineer?

Properly selected and placed microphones are always more important than tracking EQ. If you haven't properly captured the source in the first place then you're hosed.

Tracking EQs as I've used them are enhancers, not fixers.

And perhaps if you took a step back and looked at the fact that mic placement IS a form of EQ you would not be sticking up for somebody else who enjoys making acerbic comments in anonymity.

Perhaps the premise is too advanced?

One of my favorite de essers as well is mic placement.

One of my favorite reverbs is a great room.

One of my favorite amp tones is a distance mic on an AC30 in a great sounding room, facing the corner.

Following along?

As I mentioned of the EQs I actually do have experience with, I like the Pultecs for tracking and I also like the Lang PEQ2s alot. The EQ on the Yamaha PM2K is pretty sweet too TBH. Most of the time I don't use tracking EQ simply because what I prefer to use is not available where I'm freelancing or I can't tote around vintage equipment to every gig unless the artist or producer is renting it on their dime.

As I mentioned, what I prefer and what I wind up with are the life of an engineer.

Read Mixerman's book You'll understand better why I'm a mic placement slut.

And for the record I want to try one of these during tracking:

http://squarestatesolidstate.com/products.html - Equalizer Model One B

Peace
Illumination
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb View Post

No 1084 on the face of the earth can do what mic placement does. But I take your point, an eq is an eq and mic placement is mic placement.

Still, it occurs to me that if you lined up the diaphragms of a 44, a copperphone, and a cmv563 with mk55 capsule, and tracked your vocal in front of that lineup, you could massage the 3 faders and probably come up with damn near anything the 1084 could do... and then some.

I've done the above sans copperphone, it's a pretty badass way to minimize the need for eq at mix. Never occurred to me until now to add the copper for mids.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
No 1084 on the face of the earth can do what mic placement does. But I take your point, an eq is an eq and mic placement is mic placement.

Still, it occurs to me that if you lined up the diaphragms of a 44, a copperphone, and a cmv563 with mk55 capsule, and tracked your vocal in front of that lineup, you could massage the 3 faders and probably come up with damn near anything the 1084 could do... and then some.

I've done the above sans copperphone, it's a pretty badass way to minimize the need for eq at mix. Never occurred to me until now to add the copper for mids.

Gregory Scott - ubk
I heart Greg Scott.

Hope to catch you at AES if you're going

Peace
Illumination

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search