The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fav Hardware EQ? (mainly for pop vocals) 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Still, it occurs to me that if you lined up the diaphragms of a 44, a copperphone, and a cmv563 with mk55 capsule, and tracked your vocal in front of that lineup, you could massage the 3 faders and probably come up with damn near anything the 1084 could do... and then some.
Actually, I seriously doubt it. But you could come up with a nice vocal recording.

An eq is an eq, and a mic placement is mic placement. Mics are mics as well- not eqs, even with capsule types, roll off filters and frequency bumps employed.

The assumption that one's purpose is to compensate for anothers shortcomings is just incorrect. Yes, they can be used as such, but I like an eq as a color as much as a cure. Eq employed at mix quite often serves a different purpose than just compensating for mic placement or selection.

The question was "favorite hardware EQ for pop vocals" and as usual gearslutz becomes a convoluted cache of try too hard responses... Ive never been to a session where they had 3 concurrent close mics on the vocalist. Not in 20 years. Major label to garage bands. Sure it can be done, but it just isn't.

And, again, at mix, I really like slapping a 1084 on most vocals- well tracked or not, incredible mic or not, perfect placement or not. Its just a magic box IMHO.

If Im trying to fix an issue, I will start with a GML.

Its just silly the way things always go on Gearslutz. And the threads are never akin to real world technique.

Unless you work in studios where 3 concurrent close vocal mics is used more often that an EQ...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

This place is a hoot.

A guy asks what everyone likes in the way of tracking EQ and 1/2 a page later...

Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb View Post
Actually, I seriously doubt it. But you could come up with a nice vocal recording.

With a 44 and 563 up there you damn well better come up with a nice vocal recording!

I know it ain't exactly common to do that, but then again I've studied with a man who mults a vocal to 5 different comps, dials each one to taste, then mixes them using each comp as a way to pull out all the registers and physical structures of the voice, so I'm also keenly aware of just what kind of hoops some of us jump thru to get to the sound in our head.

The point being, you said something to the effect of "it can't be done", to which my brain almost automatically responds with "yes it can".

And I can't help but notice that when I suggested a possibility, your position shifted from "never" to "doubtful."

I call that progress.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:

Triple face slap.

No mic placement on the face of the earth can do what a 1084 can do...
No 1084 can do what a 1028 can do!
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:

An eq is an eq, and a mic placement is mic placement. Mics are mics as well- not eqs, even with capsule types, roll off filters and frequency bumps employed.

The question was "favorite hardware EQ for pop vocals" and as usual gearslutz becomes a convoluted cache of try too hard responses... Ive never been to a session where they had 3 concurrent close mics on the vocalist. Not in 20 years. Major label to garage bands. Sure it can be done, but it just isn't.

Its just silly the way things always go on Gearslutz. And the threads are never akin to real world technique.

Unless you work in studios where 3 concurrent close vocal mics is used more often that an EQ

Yeah man, it's always good to record verse, bridge and chorus with different "EQ's" so i don't have to EQ it laterheh
With inexperienced singers,when the're done with verse i just send them for a coffee to setup new "EQ"heh

But with trained professionals i invented system with three different "EQ's", where i put all three of them next to each other and singer just moves and starts to sing to a new "EQ" for a chorus.heh

No, but really, it's just impossible for some people to answer simple and very precise question in a simple manner.

There is always some smart ass who doesn't EQ, doesn't compress, only "uses his ears" and "it's all about mic placement" but "you really have to know what you're doing".

Gearslutz today:

Normal people's question: " So what EQ and compressor do you normally use on lead vocal to have it sit well in the mix?"
Crazy people's answer:" I use some gaffer tape and WD 40"

Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Regarding the mic placement-eq: of course it works and I believe mic placement is both underestimated by quite a few people and overestimated by some others.

I have the experience that moving a mic an inch or less can make a clear difference in sound. Quite often this makes it difficult to catch a stable sound when recording singers (they are moving their head and body - sometimes a lot). Depending on the singer (not only the voice!) and room, an engineer chooses a mic and places it as good as he or she can. That doesn't mean it will give an optimal sound for recording/mixing. And that's where the eq might come in.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Avedis E27's
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
No, but really, it's just impossible for some people to answer simple and very precise question in a simple manner.

Just as it's impossible for some people to refrain from commenting at length on such people, perhaps tying it in with some larger lamentation on the state of gearslutz.

Followed, of course, by some other smartass pointing out the irony of it all.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Just as it's impossible for some people to refrain from commenting at length on such people, perhaps tying it in with some larger lamentation on the state of gearslutz.

Followed, of course, by some other smartass pointing out the irony of it all.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Look, all i wanted to say was that it's all in the eq placement
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use a peluso into pacifica - I don`t need eq
Old 19th September 2011
for (minimal corrections) BSS DPR 901 mk2
Old 4th October 2011
Gear Head

Peace brothers ;)

Love the sound of Telefunken IPS F2000 it's new in my studio but I just can't stop using it, IBIS also make a great work.

Please don't fight...... although I learn new stuff and techniques from all of you guys come on keep fighting

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search