The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora summing Audio Interfaces
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Lynx Aurora summing

Hi Slutz,

I'm looking into the aurora 16. I see the in's N Out's are done via D-sub connectors. What are most people using to sum the 16 outputs down to a stereo pair. Are a lot of folk just assigning the 2bus from their DAW to two of the 16 outputs and connecting to monitors?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
a mixing console
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

mmm. I am familiar with such a device, only I run a mobile studio and am looking for something a little more portable/
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Never used this but it seemed interesting if you have dsubs. Perhaps ask about a 16 channel version?

Lynx Aurora summingPASSIVE SUMMING Network for ProTools HD 192 | eBay
Old 15th September 2011
member no 666

You could run to a Folcrom and sum in the analog domain [only 1 RU - 16 inputs]
'
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.quash View Post
Hi Slutz,

I'm looking into the aurora 16. I see the in's N Out's are done via D-sub connectors. What are most people using to sum the 16 outputs down to a stereo pair. Are a lot of folk just assigning the 2bus from their DAW to two of the 16 outputs and connecting to monitors?
Totally depends.

Some are using mixers.

some are using summing amps.

Some (like us) use the extra IO as hardware inserts and sum ITB.

Some just have them for the inputs and mix totally ITB.

If you connect a pair of outs to your monitors, you'll generally want to put a monitor controller in the way.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
'
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

The Folcrom looks interesting. I think I'll utilize 2 outputs for a stereo pair and just get some sort of controller. 8 outs for headphone mixes and 6 spare.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Never used this but it seemed interesting if you have dsubs. Perhaps ask about a 16 channel version?

Lynx Aurora summingPASSIVE SUMMING Network for ProTools HD 192 | eBay
Yeah, he'll do a 16 channel version. Great concept, great price. Just put all the resistors in the cable itself. Genius. Lovin' mine.

-R
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I run my Aurora 16 into an SSL X-Desk. 16 channels of lovely clean summing, talkback, monitor switching and fx sends/inserts and sounds great.

I love it.

M
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Currently using a Folcrom do to the added channel control.
Prior to that I built a transformer coupled summing panel mounted behind my racks. (thats now currently listed in the GS classifieds)
Unless you have external hardware to interface with, stay ITB.
Attached Thumbnails
Lynx Aurora summing-6140430598_75e4baf66f_z.jpg   Lynx Aurora summing-6139880005_0c88db5bdd_z.jpg  
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

My question to you guys summing all 16 chs of the Aurora with the Folcrom is what are you using for a 2ch dac for monitoring and how are you piggy backing / breaking out the Dsub for the 2 ch dac with the aurora lynx / lynx AES card? If your Dsubs are all going to the Folcrom.

The only way I can see to do it is to go to a patchbay and only sum 14 chs.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Did you check out the Passive Summing Network that was referenced above? That guy makes the cables to order. I bet he could do you a cable that sums 14 channels and sends the other two to an output cable. I mean, as long as you're getting in and wiring up a D-sub, no brainer.

-R
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

The basic signal flow i use is this. But I have a dedicated D/A for monitoring.

Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

i use aurora 16 and summing into dangerous audio summing
sound amazing !
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Lynx Aurora 16 into Neve 8816

I use Lynx Aurora 16 into a Neve 8816 summing mixer and I'm happy with it.
One of these days I may get into designing our own summing mixer but as of now the market for it is much more limited than the one for preamps.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
The basic signal flow i use is this. But I have a dedicated D/A for monitoring.
Your dedicated monitoring DAC has analog ins? or..

What card(s) do you have in your computer and what digital signal feeds you dedicated D/A for monitoring.

For example, with the lynx AES card, which has no extra digital outs, as I understand it, you would either take all 16 to a patchbay, or build a specialty Dsub with one AES pigtailed off to feed you monitoring DAC. Which would waste 2 chs of the aurora DA

I have a DA10 and am trying to figure how to incorporate it with a aurora16 and lynx AES, to have all 16 chs for available for summing/mixing.

How have you all managed this? Thanks.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are multiple solutions to use all 16 channels for summing. But you need to answer a few questions 1st.
  • Do you need a monitor pair that bypasses your summing setup? Or would always monitoring thru your summed output be adequate?
  • What is your summing solution?
  • do you have a monitor controller?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am using two Auroras (16 and 8) and I am summing the signals on a Speck Electronics console.

The Auroras are connected to the computer via an RME HDSPe MADI card and an LT-MADI extension board mounted in the Aurora 16.

The 8-channel Aurora is connected to the 16-channel Aurora with an AES snake (DSUB-to-DSUB), and I have also connected some channels of Lavry Blue converters (for instance for monitoring) to the Aurora 16 with a second AES snake.
Old 30th October 2011
Here for the gear

bump!

2 rhythminmind:

hello, would you be so kind to comment on my setup pls!

if i have an aurora 16 for 16 outs going into a neve 8816 at a time and then it comes into Lavry 2 channel AD is this the right option for monitoring? what are the 1/2 ad inputs in your scheme?

I'm also curious... what if I add Api a2d to get 18 channels at a time what is the best way to sum 18 channels into a 16 channel summing mixer?

ty!
Old 31st October 2011
pwn
Gear Maniac

I'm in the same situation. Since I run all of my summing through the dangerous unit anyhow, I just hang my monitoring controller off of the monitoring output of the summing amp. Eventually I'd like to get a dedicated stereo D/A, but thats not really in the budget for the moment.

I don't really see an issue with the way I do things now. Might as well adjust for the complete signal path rather than have it be an after thought.

Morgan
Old 31st October 2011
Gear Maniac

The Dangerous DBox is a great solution for smaller summing setups. It has the 8 channels of summing (on a dsub as well for easy connection), as well as 2 stereo D/A converters that accept SPDIF or AES signal. If you use an Aurora 8, or similar interface, send the 1-8 analog outputs into the DBox for summing, sum out of the Dbox into Aurora ins for printing, then send the summed mix's output back out the AES/EBU IO of the Aurora to a Dsub to XLR AES Digital Snake (Yamaha pinout for the Aurora.) Connect one of the XLR-Males on the AES snake to the "DAW" input of the DBox. Now you can monitor the summed mix pre conversion in the analog world, or post A/D conversion but using the Dangerous D/A which is incredibly clean and transparent!

Jared
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Head

Aurora 8 and Rosetta 800 here...
Rosetta 800 (8 Analog Outs-Dsub25 Out) and Aurora 8 (8 Analog Outs-Dsub25 Out) > Patchbay > 12/14 channels to Folcrom and 2/4 stay analog to HW inserts.
Folcrom (Out) > GR MP-500nv or HCL Affinity > Patchbay > Aurora 8 (Dsub25 In) > Protools (Printing Mix) > Protools Out - Monitor (Aurora 8 Digital Out) > Mytek 96 DAC (AES In) > M-Patch2 > Genelec 8040 & Auratone (mono).
Next step will be a RND Portico II and a Kush Clariphonic after the PRE and before the way into Protools (printing).
Old 1st November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
'
that's how I do it.
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Audio-LA View Post
The Dangerous DBox is a great...If you use an Aurora 8, send the 1-8 analog outputs into the DBox for summing, sum out of the Dbox into Aurora ins for printing, then send the summed mix's output back out the AES/EBU IO of the Aurora to a Dsub to XLR AES Digital Snake (Yamaha pinout for the Aurora.) Connect one of the XLR-Males on the AES snake to the "DAW" input of the DBox. Now you can monitor the summed mix pre conversion in the analog world, or post A/D conversion but using the Dangerous D/A which is incredibly clean and transparent!

Jared
Jared, what if...
I have an Aurora 16 (connected via AES16e card), a folcrom (16 ch), and I add a Dangerous D'Box or Source? How could I get digital signal (the mix post final AD i.e. after an ITB master channel) back to the Dangerous? The AES I/O on the A16 is already completely in use sending the 16 channels out to the Folcrom... Is there a way to get SPDIF/AES to the Dangerous other than buying a 2nd AES16e? (which would be a ridiculous expense for 2 ch)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search