The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mytek alternative Digital Converters
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mytek alternative

hi !

i love my MYTEK ADC STEREO96, but sometimes i feel i don't need a mastering grade converter to simply track vocals and guitar.
also, it's really not forgiving when it comes to clipping, and takes a whiiiile to boot.

are there any alternatives ? i think the UA 2192 is what i need but it's discontinued, and still quite expensive (i got my Mytek for "cheap"). and i already have a Lavry DA10 for DA conversion.

thx
Old 14th September 2011
member no 666

While I don't have a specific suggestion... using a "mastering grade" converter is indeed a good thing. If it takes a while to boot... give it some time. Make a habit of turning it on before picking up your instruments, microphones, etc... as for the clipping thing... a dear friend of mine once said "yellow... its the new red" [meaning that with 24 bit resolution you should try to keep your levels in the green and only slide into yellow on the rare occasion]... adopting the "yellow is the new red" philosophy will help you avoid clipping problems without a struggle.

If I'm not mistaken, the discontinued "UA" box is now flying the "Burl" logo... which is an excellent converter set and well worth checking out on your part.

As long as it doesn't break... the Mytek is probably not a bad thing and something it might make sense to hang onto for a while.

As always... YMMV.

Peace
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

What he ^ said!

Yellow is indeed the new red...and on the Mytek, with the yellow indicating -3dBFS, you're definitely cutting the margin close.
I tend to attempt to keep the bottom 2 green meter lights on at all times on mine when the input is active, the topmost being -20 dBFS, and only hit yellow on occasion. If you're up there frequently and often, pull the input attenuator back a bit or trim down your pres.
Once I figured all this out, I could focus on mic selection and placement...and my recordings and mixes have gotten better.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

ditto... the Mytek is great. tracking through it is the whole point...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

ok guys !

i've heard about the Burl but i think it was too expensive for me.

i'll keep the Mytek.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search