The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need serious help with monitor choise Studio Monitors
Old 14th September 2011
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Need serious help with monitor choise

HI..the last 3 months i 'm looking and testing various monitors because i decided to change my old set...

i've heard focal cmcs 65,focal solo 6,genelec 8040,acoustic energy ae22
maudios dsm,neumann kh120,dynaudio bm6..

i want to spend 1500-2000 euros and i don't mind to find a used pair.

i didn't really like any of the monitors i mentioned.
i think that genelecs are a bit soft in the midrange,
i don't know whati exactly i didn't like in focals.something was strange with them...
kh 120 was ok but...i'd like to find something better!

i really found many positives for the ae 22.i tried the passive model with an adcom amp.the only thing i didn't like is that i found them a bit....harsh between 2,5 khz-5 khz....is that a wrong impression i have??do you think the active models don't have this problem??

after i heard the ae 22 i think that i'll be very happy with a closed cabinet design..

i'd like also to tell me your opinion about unity the rock and proac studio 100 or anything else from their studio series.

i'm also thinkng of aps aeon and used b&w matrix 805 or used nautilus 805,SE Electronics sE Munro The Egg and Blue Sky SAT 6.5 EXR .

what's your opinion about these speakers??


i'd like opinions from professionals,experienced users please ...
Old 14th September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Aisle 6's Avatar
Find some used ATC's and get mixing. ; )
Old 15th September 2011
  #3
Gear Addict
 

i'm also thinking pelonis model 42....
Old 15th September 2011
  #4
.

Agree about the Focals.

However, I'm not sure about under $2k - even used.

I found out the LOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGG way, that you get what you pay for.

Best of luck!


.
Old 15th September 2011
  #5
Gear Addict
 

so....what do you think about the speakers i mentioned?
Old 15th September 2011
  #6
.

Of all the speakers on your list, I might consider the BM6A's. But, they do sound a bit muddy to me. And the detail isn't going to be there, compared to a real speaker (speaker design, tweeter, accurate crossover design, electronics and amplification).

And honestly, as far as Dynaudio goes, I'd be much happier on the original Dynaudio M1s - which are some of my favorite monitors ever! Although, the M1s are still $3,000 - even now. You might find a used pair for $2000, if I don't buy them first! heh
http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...AUDIO-M1.xhtml

Just keep in mind, the speakers on your list are being manufactured with cheap components.

For instance, here's a real tweeter:
E0011-06 T25CF002

These tweeters are $200 a piece - some designs use two of these in each speaker. And that's only the frikkin' tweeter! But HOLY MOLY the detail in the tweeter is ridiculous. Much better than any $20 tweeter - which is what a tweeter costs in the speakers on your list. FORGET about the crossover design and amplification!

If you want quality, you have to pay for it.

Again, this is just my opinion, from listening to speakers for EVER.

I honestly don't think I could go back to tracking and mixing on $20 tweeters now.

.
Old 15th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
monitors

To suggest these are not worthy speakers is ludicrous. I am sure pros use these everyday. Buy whatever sounds good to you sir.
Old 15th September 2011
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
To suggest these are not worthy speakers is ludicrous. I am sure pros use these everyday. Buy whatever sounds good to you sir.
.

Tell ya what.

You do an A-B between a $200 tweeter and a $20 tweeter, and then I'll believe whatever you say (!)

But ya gotta do the A-B, otherwise, you simply don't know.

We all trust one thing only - our ears. The ears don't lie.

Forget the marketing. Just because something has a recognizable brand name on it - doesn't mean ****.

Trust your ears.

Remember, this is high end.

If you haven't used a pair of $10k monitors or $50k monitors, then how do you know?

For years I used to think Mackie was good enough. Then I grew up.

I grew up, because I became concerned with quality. And newsflash: quality costs money, most of the time.

Sometimes, you get lucky, but...

.
Old 15th September 2011
  #9
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

Tell ya what.

You do an A-B between a $200 tweeter and a $20 tweeter, and then I'll believe whatever you say (!)

But ya gotta do the A-B, otherwise, you simply don't know.

We all trust one thing only - our ears. The ears don't lie.

Forget the marketing. Just because something has a recognizable brand name on it - doesn't mean ****.

Trust your ears.

Remember, this is high end.

If you haven't used a pair of $10k monitors or $50k monitors, then how do you know?

For years I used to think Mackie was good enough. Then I grew up.

I grew up, because I became concerned with quality. And newsflash: quality costs money, most of the time.

Sometimes, you get lucky, but...

.
Het sqye, i think it was about near-field monitors, the M1 are massive compare to the listed monitors, do you have a better suggestion than the BM6, because i've owned them, and i can tell you the neumann kh120's are more accurate, smaller but amazing LF's, they are the upgrade of the K+H O110's.
Have you ever listened to the K+H O300's (great mid-fields)? or the smaller O110's?

Stergios, i don't think you'll find better than solo6, 8040's, bm6 or kh 120's for less than 2000euro, maybe you'll like the focal twin6, a bit more expensive.
I don't recommend the dynaudio bm12a, i much prefer the bm6 mk1 (not mk2), or the bm15a, but they are massive.
Which environnement have you listen to the kh120's?
They might sound too small in a big shop, because first of all they are much small than the others, but in a home studio, less than 15m2, they sound amazing, it terms of accuracy, they are above.
If they are too small, check out the twin6!
Old 15th September 2011
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
Het sqye, i think it was about near-field monitors, the M1 are massive compare to the listed monitors, do you have a better suggestion than the BM6, because i've owned them, and i can tell you the neumann kh120's are more accurate, smaller but amazing LF's, they are the upgrade of the K+H O110's.
Have you ever listened to the K+H O300's (great mid-fields)? or the smaller O110's?

Stergios, i don't think you'll find better than solo6, 8040's, bm6 or kh 120's for less than 2000euro, maybe you'll like the focal twin6, a bit more expensive.
I don't recommend the dynaudio bm12a, i much prefer the bm6 mk1 (not mk2), or the bm15a, but they are massive.
Which environnement have you listen to the kh120's?
They might sound too small in a big shop, because first of all they are much small than the others, but in a home studio, less than 15m2, they sound amazing, it terms of accuracy, they are above.
If they are too small, check out the twin6!

i heard kh120 in a big place.my place is about 16m2.have you heard any of the other monitors i mentioned??because i didn't like genelecs and focals.
Old 15th September 2011
  #11
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stergios View Post
i heard kh120 in a big place.my place is about 16m2.have you heard any of the other monitors i mentioned??because i didn't like genelecs and focals.
Yes i actually know all of them (owned bm6a and 8040's), and it's actually a very good selection for the price, i can't see anything better for less than 2000 euros!
That's the problem when you listen to monitors in big public places, you can't really judge.
I would recommend you to choose one pair, at thomann for example you have 30 days trial, so can just send it back if you are not happy.
The KH120's are the flatter and the more accurate, but if you want more power i would go for the solo6, i had a session with them and was really impressed, i think they are above the dyn's and the 8040's.
I'm a big fan of the bm6 mk1, but think the solo6 are more accurate down the LF's, and they are both really good.
I recently bought the KH120's, based on the reputation of the K+H O110, and from good advices, i have to say, i've never had such a sound quality/accuracy in a home studio, they are very impressive, especially for their little size.
Old 15th September 2011
  #12
Gear Addict
 

do you think tha kh120 are a litle ..flattering?
Old 15th September 2011
  #13
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stergios View Post
do you think tha kh120 are a litle ..flattering?
Not for me, i find them really revealing, if there is something wrong in your mix, you'll know it straight away..
You should try to listen to some of your "not perfect" mixes, you'll see
Old 15th September 2011
  #14
Gear Nut
 

I recently bought a set of Focal CMS 65's. I get on really very well with them in terms of translation. I've always been a PMC fan boy and I went in to demo the Focal Twins which sounded a bit jumped up in the mids to me. Brought them home for a test run in the studio and didn't get on with them. Ended up with the 65's + the sub and I love working on them. I've got no desire to move onto anything else even though I am used to monitors which cost 3-4 times as much. Each to their own though i guess. Cant get on with Genelec though. I have a set of 8020b's for tracking with my mobile rig purely because they have the metal grill to protect them but that's all I would ever do with them.
Old 15th September 2011
  #15
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
You might want to check out the "Rock" monitors from Unity Audio... last time I used them I was pretty blown away by how well my product referenced outside the control room.

Peace
Old 15th September 2011
  #16
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

i like the Focals we have on loan here!
check out the article on my website for a good read.
Old 15th September 2011
  #17
Gear Addict
 

i don't like genelecs and focals in that price range.
i'd like to know if anyone experienced user has experience from unity the rock -proac studio 100- b&w matrix 805 or nautilus 805-SE Electronics sE Munro The Egg and Blue Sky SAT 6.5 EXR -pelonis model 42-geithain lr906-pmc tb2sa-ae 22
Old 16th September 2011
  #18
Gear Addict
 

anyone?
Old 16th September 2011
  #19
Focal CMS 65 are very accurate.
Old 16th September 2011
  #20
epp
Gear Nut
 

I'm not sure I agree that the gens are 'soft' in the midrange. I agree that the small focals aren't anything to write home about to mummy.

The best bet at a budget is probably ae22.
Old 16th September 2011
  #21
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epp View Post
I'm not sure I agree that the gens are 'soft' in the midrange. I agree that the small focals aren't anything to write home about to mummy.

The best bet at a budget is probably ae22.
AE22 only goes down 60 hrtz,
here's a descent review:
Acoustic Energy AE22
They are clearly behind the K+H O110's or PMC DB1SA's.

Stergios, you might be interested in the over priced PMC DB1SA's, at the same size, the K+H O110's had a better reputation thow...so as the KH 120's, and they are much cheaper.
But if you want bigger and you can afford it, the PMC TB2SA's at 2500 euro for a pair could be the deal:
PMC
TB2S-AII, 2495 € TTC - UNIVERS-SONS - Monitors studio actifs

Here's a good review of the TB2SA'a AND DB1SA's:
PMC TB2SA & DB1SA

I don't know anyone who tried "the rock" or the "Munro the egg", i've read good things, sounds interesting, you could be the first gearslutz owner, let us know if you buy them!
BUT the TB2SA's are a safe choice, great monitors indeed..
I do really like the focal solo6 and twin6 but my to my opinion PMC and K+H are above all the other brand you mentioned.
My last word would be, if you're home studio is:
small: get the O110's or the KH120's
medium: get the TB2SA's
large: get the O300's
I guess in 16m2 is in between small and medium, the best would to try a pair a home...
Old 16th September 2011
  #22
Gear Addict
 

i don't care for the very low freqs cause i'll use a sub ..

i didn't like the PMC DB1SA but i'd like to try the tb2sa.
Old 17th September 2011
  #23
LX3
Lives for gear
 
LX3's Avatar
 

No mentions for the nearfield Questeds? In particular the S7R and S8R?

I'm currently using Focal Solo 6s in a surround configuration, and although they're working fine and I'm pretty used to them, I do have nagging questions about the low midrange. They might be a little tubby in that area. I have to restrain myself from killing too much of the apparent weight in tracks because I know the mix can end up a little thin when I hear it elsewhere.

I do switch to my big monitors for comparison, but there's no doubt that your mixes get pushed in a certain direction by your most-used monitors, no matter how much you attempt to compensate for what you're hearing.

As soon as I get a few days free (yeah right) I'm going to work on the speaker mounting, positioning, and room treatment a little before I look too hard at changing monitors, because there's a lot I like about the Focals, and it's entirely possible that my room is contributing to things as much as the monitors themselves.

But, you know, it doesn't hurt to consider the alternatives! So does anyone like the active Quested S series? Much as I'm sure I'd be blown away by the V2108, five S7Rs or S8Rs is a bit more in my price range at the moment.
Old 17th September 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

Tell ya what.

You do an A-B between a $200 tweeter and a $20 tweeter, and then I'll believe whatever you say (!)

But ya gotta do the A-B, otherwise, you simply don't know.

We all trust one thing only - our ears. The ears don't lie.

Forget the marketing. Just because something has a recognizable brand name on it - doesn't mean ****.

Trust your ears.

Remember, this is high end.

If you haven't used a pair of $10k monitors or $50k monitors, then how do you know?

For years I used to think Mackie was good enough. Then I grew up.

I grew up, because I became concerned with quality. And newsflash: quality costs money, most of the time.

Sometimes, you get lucky, but...

.



I have heard mega dollar system speakers and was astonished that I heard a sidestick in a Clapton song that I had never noticed....and thus upgraded to a high end amp. So yes, I've heard the best. It really is a top 2% thing to think that Genelecs or ProAcs will deprive anyone of a great recording.....

p.s. It was B&W and Krell if I recall correctly in a Million-dollar joint in SF.....

Last edited by Vintageidiot; 17th September 2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 17th September 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
soundbarnfool's Avatar
 

I have settled on Tannoy Little Golds with the Mastering Lab X-over modification. They translate really well.

Inglewood SoundBarn
Old 18th September 2011
  #26
Gear Addict
 

anyone??
Old 18th September 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Make sure you consider these.
Universal Series Principal Audio Monitors
Old 19th September 2011
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.


And honestly, as far as Dynaudio goes, I'd be much happier on the original Dynaudio M1s - which are some of my favorite monitors ever! Although, the M1s are still $3,000 - even now. You might find a used pair for $2000, if I don't buy them first! heh
Dynaudio Acoustics Dynaudio M1 Console Top Precision Near-Field Studio Reference Monitors at Markertek.com

.
Seems strange to me how the M2 is only very slightly more expensive, yet looks like so much more speaker - 21cm woofers and 75mm soft dome mids: Dynaudio Acoustics Dynaudio M2 Mid Field Monitor - Pair Studio Reference Monitors at Markertek.com

I know it's a midfield, but $6100/pr vs $5800/pr???
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump