The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073/1084 pre or EQ Equalisers (HW)
View Poll Results: Which rules the roost- the pre or EQ?
Its all about the preamp
24 Votes - 53.33%
Its all about the EQ
21 Votes - 46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Neve 1073/1084 pre or EQ

This, for me, is really about the 1084 but so many have 1073s I thought I would mention those too- and actually feel free to include 1066, 1064, 1080, etc. Any Neve class A pre/eqs. AMS and BAE included since they are both legit.

Which do you like better- yes its apples to motorbikes- but if you had to choose one is it the preamp or the EQ that you love most?

I ask just because for me, its the EQ without a doubt. I like the pres, but the EQ on a 1084 is just stupid good. I actually pity those with 1073s as they lack my two favorite aspects- the high Q and the 16khz shelf. Yet I paid less for my 1084s than most did for their 1073s...

But I always read so much about the preamps and the cloners release so many versions of the 10XX pres when, for me its all about the EQ. Sure Great River and AMS have released EQs in that vein but compared to the amount of preamps sold... its not even close.

So Neve owners... was it the preamp or the EQ that sold you more. And now that you own one, which is the king?

And again, a quick for any schmuck who wants to debate you can't choose between a preamp and an EQ. This assumes you have other options for both. Its purely for fun... No panty twists intended.

If they only made a preamp model or a line level EQ model, which would it be?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

For me its mostly the EQ but I don't discount the preamp (I have them separate).

But again I designed my own clone which is a line level only with the pre as an option. The reason I left out the mike pre was there were so many versions available and I always track without EQ (except for very rare occasions).

I agree about the 1084 vs the 1073. Both great but the 1084 is a grownup 1073 (not to knock the 1073 but as I was building my project I just decided to go for "it").

I have not regretted it and neither have the over 150 people that made my 1084 project (shameless plug). tutt

Cheers

Jim
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Great post! I have an sca n72 but have never owned a neve type eq and have been looking to get something to complement my pres. I know that you are talking actual neve which is different, and I hope to someday know what your talking about. I have an arsenal audio r24 which sounds nice but has no high or low shelf. It is however, continually variable which I'm not sure any neves have. Do any of the neves have continually variable frequency choices?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherstone View Post
Great post! I have an sca n72 but have never owned a neve type eq and have been looking to get something to complement my pres. I know that you are talking actual neve which is different, and I hope to someday know what your talking about. I have an arsenal audio r24 which sounds nice but has no high or low shelf. It is however, continually variable which I'm not sure any neves have. Do any of the neves have continually variable frequency choices?
None that I know of have continuously variable freq choices.

The 1081 has more freq choices than the 1084 but the preamp is class A/B so I didn't include it.

And I agree with you Bluzzi, the preamps are nice, but my 1084s were beat by the chandler LTD1 for vocal size and presence- consistently. Again, I love the pres but they don't stomp my APIs, GMLs, or others.

But that eq... Generally stomps api 550s, GML 8200, quad eights etc. Each has their own strong points but my first grab for vox, bass and drums/snare is the 1084. Its so quick and easy to sound GREAT. The GML can do surgery MUCH better, as well as transparent, but for quick return, girth and instant gratification, its the 1084. Though don't get me wrong, my other EQs aren't going up for sale!

The 1084 can make tracks that didn't sound muddy, seem like they WERE muddy once its inline... You take it off and a blanket drops back over the track.

Its been said that Neve built EQs that made engineers seem like geniuses because you couldn't screw them up... I think thats spot on.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I voted for the pres because I had a single channel of BAE 1073. I basically used the high pass filter more than anything else, maybe if I had a 1084 I would have used the rest of the EQ more but I ended up selling the BAE 1073 and replacing it with the dual channel BAE 1073MPF so now I have two pres with the highpass filter
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
I voted for the pres because I had a single channel of BAE 1073. I basically used the high pass filter more than anything else, maybe if I had a 1084 I would have used the rest of the EQ more but I ended up selling the BAE 1073 and replacing it with the dual channel BAE 1073MPF so now I have two pres with the highpass filter
I had a stereo pair of BAE 1073s for YEARS. Loved the pre, and like you mainly used the high pass... Its weird you felt the EXACT same way.

Now I did like the EQ but it was NOT as smooth as my vintage 1084s. It was more consistent- unit to unit- it was stable but it was NOT as buttery on top- even at the same settings.

But then again, when I turn off the high Q and drop the high shelf below 16khz, Im not as happy with my 1084s- though still smoother. Could be age, could be marinairs...

The only way to really know would be to compare them to the BAE 1084s.

I admit Ive been considering a BAE 1028... That things added features are ridiculous... And Ive never had better service than on all the units I bought from Mark!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

That's interesting McDingus. Like you said, I've always liked the high shelf on the 1084, if I had one it's likely I could have used it.

Part of my thing is simplicity, if something's not sounding right at the recording stage, I'd rather tweak the sound source (ie. if it's a synth, open/close the filter or if it's a guitar amp, change the amp settings or move the microphone etc...) than use EQ. My preference and use of EQ is primarily at mix stage to make things fit better. But high pass filter and high shelf I'd be fine with using at the tracking stage.

I've owned the AMS Neve 1073, BAE 1073, and now a BAE 1073MPF, I've used real 1073's, 1084's, 31102's, and to me, the BAE is right there in the same pantheon with the AMS and the real thing, I've owned them and that's my personal opinion. And if I ever reached a point where I could afford to have a single channel pre just for vocals, I'd be inclined to go with the 1023 for the additional EQ options.

As my "studio" is a little labor of love that it is right now, my 1073MPF is perfect, the only thing I would change is to have more of them (my dream is to have 4 of them, each channel has things permanently plugged in so I don't have to do any switching).
Old 14th September 2011
member no 666

The 1073 and the 1084 have the exact same pre-amp section... as in there is no difference in pre's - there is only a difference in the EQ... and seeing as the 1084 has all of the same frequency points that are available on the 1073... with some added features [like the "Hi-Q" switch on the mid band, lo pass filter, and two additional high frequency selections] the answer to this riddle seems like quite the no brainer... as a 1084 IS a 1073 with added features one wouldn't need to stretch that much on this particular decision [at least not in my world... YMMV].

Peace
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

btw McDingus, have you tried the Pultec EQ's (specifically the EQP-1A's) and how they compare to the Neve EQ's? I must admit this is not something I personally experienced, only in reading the posts of highly regarded posters here but they do seem compelling.

PS: as Fletcher said, the stretch isn't that big, for BAE, it's only ~$200 more for the 1084 vs. the 1073, if someone could afford to even think of a 1073, the extra ~$200 is money well invested).
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The 1073 and the 1084 have the exact same pre-amp section... as in there is no difference in pre's - there is only a difference in the EQ... and seeing as the 1084 has all of the same frequency points that are available on the 1073... with some added features [like the "Hi-Q" switch on the mid band, lo pass filter, and two additional high frequency selections] the answer to this riddle seems like quite the no brainer... as a 1084 IS a 1073 with added features one wouldn't need to stretch that much on this particular decision [at least not in my world... YMMV].

Peace
Its not a question of preamp differences.

The question is simply, on Neve class A 10XX modules do you like the preamp or the eq more. And I keep mentioning the 1084 vs 1073 because the 1084, again, has the 16khz shelf and the high Q button that the others do not.

Its not about one model over the other- simply the EQ function vs the preamp function.

On my BAE 1073s, I preferred the preamp section. On my vintage 1084, I prefer the EQ.

Yeah, apples to motorcycles- but at least its not another "which Neve should I buy" thread... though in that case you ARE 100% correct!

And Kestral-

I have used the Pultec EQP1a with a Neve VR board but never with the 1084s in the same room.

Hard to compare them as they function quite differently- the concurrent boost/cut on pultecs is weird- nice but weird. Sonically, I would take the 1084s over stereo pultecs- but thats based off function. Though, they both are about as good as it gets- the pultec sounding, like its design, more tubey IMHO. But even without the preamp on the 1084, thats what I would take.

Though I am a solid state guy as I prefer to only maintain tube amps- not rack gear. The amps are bad enough... I only own one piece of tube rack gear- a vintage LA2A. I can live without them on racks but not amps. Though at some point I will get a v76 or a fearn tube pre... probably the Fearn.

But I admit I have a serious hard on for 1084s... Which I hope to soon cure with a BAE 1028. I know you mention the 1023, but the 1028 is ABSOLUTELY better... 1023 has no high Q. I can't live without the high Q!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of Neve 1073's. As a producer who records (not an engineer) the simplicity of the design drew me toward them (its not as hard to mess it up)!!! They have been an invaluable part of my recording chain and I love them!

If I was an engineer then as Fletcher says, the 1084 would make more sense.
Old 18th September 2011
1028, 1084's are identical to 1073mpf. I have used em all.

but the 1028..!!

is truly a miracle on ice.
Attached Thumbnails
Neve 1073/1084 pre or EQ-img_0961.jpg  
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

1028's being able to pull out 160 and 270 would indeed be welcome
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Neve 1073/1084 pre or EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
btw McDingus, have you tried the Pultec EQ's (specifically the EQP-1A's) and how they compare to the Neve EQ's?
We have 1073's and a pair of eqp1a's. The sound of the eq's is rather different as one would expect from completely different designed equipment. The Neve sound is more straight forward and punchy; the Pultec is more "untuous". With both it is hard to ruin the sound.
For those who know the Siemens w295b: is right in the middle between the neve and the pultec.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
The 1081 has more freq choices than the 1084 but the preamp is class A/B so I didn't include it.
Sorry you didn't, that would have been my choice.
Absolutely great!
Old 18th October 2011
McDingus,
Did you get the 1028's yet?
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

It's a toss up for me... The preamps are smeary, and the Eq's a bit crunchy - I can't decide which aspect of them I dislike more...
Old 19th October 2011
I love the "smear" and the filters aren't crunchy. They're perfect.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

For me, Neve hit the trifecta...

Great preamps

Great EQ's

Great compressors

BTW. Anyone not happy with their Neve sound, lets trade gear.
I need one to three more 1084 modules. Could use four 1081 modules. Four 1053 modules. Another pair of compressors would be okay. Oh yeh, that new 4 ch Neve pre-amp seems cool too.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

1081 and call it a day heh I cant separate the EQ from the preamp because they are a couple
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
McDingus,
Did you get the 1028's yet?
No, not yet.

Since I have 1084s, Im in no hurry. Plus the BAE stuff has finally hit legit prices- its not the bargain it used to be.

But thats the pre I would most like to get- Im just not in the market yet... Yet that is! But if I find a used one for a steal, I'd buy it without thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneguru View Post
For me, Neve hit the trifecta...

Great preamps

Great EQ's

Great compressors
Agreed. Especially for ITB. Helps get that thick feel cracking. It doesn't seem as important to me if going to tape or at least mixing on a console. Not that its not great, but its not as necessary IMHO.

For DI synths I like to go into an API 312 to a 2254 inline but bypassed.

I know its sacrilege but I still prefer my 312s to the Neves most of the time...

I do have a 33609JD living on the master bus though.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
No, not yet.

Since I have 1084s, Im in no hurry. Plus the BAE stuff has finally hit legit prices- its not the bargain it used to be.

But thats the pre I would most like to get- Im just not in the market yet... Yet that is! But if I find a used one for a steal, I'd buy it without thinking.

Agreed. Especially for ITB. Helps get that thick feel cracking. It doesn't seem as important to me if going to tape or at least mixing on a console. Not that its not great, but its not as necessary IMHO.

For DI synths I like to go into an API 312 to a 2254 inline but bypassed.

I know its sacrilege but I still prefer my 312s to the Neves most of the time...

I do have a 33609JD living on the master bus though.
Api rocks! I know lots of guys that prefer 312 to Neve. Its all good for sure. I love em both.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

A true 312 pre from a vintage API desk is a thing of beauty as is a nice ole Neve. The new API 512 is poopy
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Maniac

A gret brand which achieves stunning " 1084's styles " is Shep associated with their SN 8 / SN 12 , awesome results !!!!

the BAE 1073 ( to my ears ) is a killing Bass DI ( I compared it at funky junk ) face to a Reddi from a designs , a P1 500 pacifica even my trusty phoenix audio was not at this level of excellence for that application ...

A revelation preamp for vocals was the studer 900 ( custom rack from a 903 mixing board ) it smoked the BAE 1073 ( Mic used was a vintage M49 )

So every pramp gets its assets , it depends on the application or the sound you are after
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
A true 312 pre from a vintage API desk is a thing of beauty as is a nice ole Neve. The new API 512 is poopy
I dont mind the 512 but I do agree my vintage 312s are my favorite pres.

I use the 512 daily and it's not bad. It doesn't have the color my 312s do but it still sounds great on drums, bass and guitar.

But the original 312 sounds like home. I do prefer the BAE 312a to the 512c.

I had BAE 1073s and they often weren't the right pre on vox, but kill on kick and bass.

I prefered the eq on the originals to the BAE. The BAE seemed more edgy which could be the age thing on the originals.

Not that it was bad though, just not as smooth. Relative to the inherent grit and phase sound of the eq.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
1081 and call it a day heh I cant separate the EQ from the preamp because they are a couple
this is pretty true. these really are a perfect couple. its not like, for example, his original ISA 110 where (IMO) it is hands down the EQ that is irreplaceable and the pre is just "good".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search