The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA Solo 610 vs. BAE 1073 MPF Single-Channel Preamps
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

UA Solo 610 vs. BAE 1073 MPF

This one hasn't been done yet (to my searches). They are fairly similar in price (a used 1073 MP vs New 610, for example) anyone have/try both, what are your thoughts on quality difference if there is any? Pop vocals.

(Current owner of 610 with manley reference mic, considering upgrade to BAE)
Old 13th September 2011
Totally different pres. I've used the M610 and liked it, no experience with the BAE. I'm not huge on the form factor of the Solo but I'm nitpicking.

Try both and decide which works better.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

thanks for the response--sadly, there seems to be no one around here that carries BAE (I'm in the Netherlands) so trying one will be difficult-- was curious as to other people's experiences of how the "color" might be different, or if they are largely the same. Perhaps someone will chime in who has both...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dave Pensado has been plugging BAE quite a bit. fwiw
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
Totally different pres. I've used the M610 and liked it, no experience with the BAE.
How can you say that they are 2 totally different pres if you've never even used the BAE MPF? Your reply doesn't make sense at all.
Old 14th September 2011
Well, one's a Neve 1073 clone, and solid state. The other is a UA design and tube based. So, at least within the (generally over-exaggerated) realm of differences between pre-amps, I'd imagine it's pretty safe to say that they are different animals. Though I've only ever used the 610 myself as well.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Well, one's a Neve 1073 clone, and solid state. The other is a UA design and tube based. So, at least within the (generally over-exaggerated) realm of differences between pre-amps, I'd imagine it's pretty safe to say that they are different animals. Though I've only ever used the 610 myself as well.
I understand your reasoning, but the way gear is built is one thing, and the way it sounds is another.

Would you be able to post samples of your chain? I'd like to hear you sing into your mic.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
How can you say that they are 2 totally different pres if you've never even used the BAE MPF? Your reply doesn't make sense at all.
My statement is based on the fact that they're two seperate designs. One tube, the other solid state.
Old 14th September 2011
PTP
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybeross View Post
thanks for the response--sadly, there seems to be no one around here that carries BAE (I'm in the Netherlands) so trying one will be difficult-- was curious as to other people's experiences of how the "color" might be different, or if they are largely the same. Perhaps someone will chime in who has both...
Try Maartens Sound & Vision www.msv.nl, they carry (according to their website) BAE in the Netherlands.
Old 15th February 2012
I am literally dumping my 2-610 for another 1073mpf.

The 610 has a very limited dynamic range, distorts easily and sounds like the audio has a pillow inside of it.. This is not just my unit. I have been around more than a few of these units and they all sound pretty crummy. Although, less crummy if paired with a spitty new condenser mic.

The 1073mpf on the other hand is amazing! It sounds identical to my rack of BAE units.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James View Post
BTW, the 610 is not a Tube amp. It is a tube, surface mount, IC piece of crap.
Really? I have not seen the guts in person but it certainly does not seem to be that way from any photos I have seen. Are you sure you are talking about the same preamp?
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Really? I have not seen the guts in person but it certainly does not seem to be that way from any photos I have seen. Are you sure you are talking about the same preamp?

Say wat?
Old 16th February 2012
Sorry the quote thing quoted the wrong person.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search