The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone used the Buzz Audio "Potion" &/or "Essence"? I need some real world answers. 500 Series Dynamics
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Anyone used the Buzz Audio "Potion" &/or "Essence"? I need some real world answers.

I know the "Potion" is more of an old school colored compressor, and that the "Essence" is meant to be more of a transparent modern compressor... but how do they actually perform? When do you actually us them in a session (since they're mono)? I'm just curious to know how anyone who currently owns these units might be using them, and the results their getting. Also, let me know if you favor one over the other and why.

I'm getting ready to buy a 500 module from Buzz, but I can't decide which one. I need the feedback .
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've owned and used both... But still have the essence... The potion was great but even though it's a totally different beast, I just always found the essence to be magical.. The essence is less colored and more open sounding but still has a euphoric warmth that is just lovely... The potion sounds great but I have other fet compressors that I like more... The essence is still in my rack
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Nut

I have both and they are both used constantly. The Essence is very gentle and even when working hard sounds diplomatic. The Potion can be gentle but when worked hard gets nice and gritty. If I was forced to keep only one it'd be the Essence
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Nut

thanks

Awesome, thanks for the feedback, i place my order on tuesday.
It looks like I'll be going for the essence.
If anyone has any interest in seeing my whole order list, just bump this thread and i will post it.
Old 3rd October 2011
AB3
Lives for gear

Good choice. I had a pair of Essence comps. Then I sold them to get a pair of Tube Tech Cl1bs for a lot more money. When I listen back to my mixes, I like the essence as much as the tube tech. The Essence is very underrated.
Enjoy it!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search