The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So, Mix Bus Compression, Making the most of that SSL COMP? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

So, Mix Bus Compression, Making the most of that SSL COMP?

So, Mix Bus Compression, Making the most of that SSL COMP?

The Goal - PUNCHY, BOUNCY Pop Sound...

Ratio Set 2:1, Attack .6ms, Release 1/8th note now what about THRESHOLD?

If i set too much, it swallows the record, if i do too little its not bouncing quite right - but what is a good amount - any starting places?

i used to leave it on 12-15db but recently bought it down to 10 and its pumped at lot more but is 4/5db on the mix bus too much?

Any thoughts opinions - i know you have them!

Need some sort of reassurance here that i am using the right approach as to an actual hard and fast answer!

CHEERS
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

There really isn't a "starting point" for threshold -- this all depends on a LOT of things...the average vs. peak levels of the mix, how much (or how little) the individual elements in the mix are already being compressed.

Set up/frame the basic mix INTO the compressor rather than strapping it on after the fact.

I like SSL comps a lot more with slower attack times, 10 or 30ms. 30ms if the snare and vocal are already quite compressed, 10ms if they're mostly dry/automated in level. Auto release works more often than not.

Creatively speaking, you can compress the mix buss as much or as little as you want -- but try not to paint yourself (or your mastering engineer) into a corner. A couple dB of compression goes a long way, and the G comps are working a bit before the gain reduction needle is moving much at all.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh ok kool thanks man

Will have a go at the slower attack vibe....

The problem i have is the metering, the console im using is a SSL C200HD with a G COMP digi clone.... sounds great but not sure where i am with it some of the time....

Much Appreciated
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post

i used to leave it on 12-15db but recently bought it down to 10 and its pumped at lot more but is 4/5db on the mix bus too much?

Any thoughts opinions - i know you have them!
Omg, does someone like compression? My advice to you is take that off your 2 buss. Get your mixes to sound right without it. Then reintroduce the idea of 2 buss compression. Start with only compressing a db or two. I'm not saying 4/5 db is wrong, I know guys who work like that. But maybe you need a better handle of getting the sound you want without it.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOcchialini View Post
Omg, does someone like compression? My advice to you is take that off your 2 buss. Get your mixes to sound right without it. Then reintroduce the idea of 2 buss compression. Start with only compressing a db or two. I'm not saying 4/5 db is wrong, I know guys who work like that. But maybe you need a better handle of getting the sound you want without it.
No im fine with it on thanks
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
No im fine with it on thanks
Ok, you asked
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
There really isn't a "starting point" for threshold -- this all depends on a LOT of things...the average vs. peak levels of the mix, how much (or how little) the individual elements in the mix are already being compressed.

Set up/frame the basic mix INTO the compressor rather than strapping it on after the fact.

I like SSL comps a lot more with slower attack times, 10 or 30ms. 30ms if the snare and vocal are already quite compressed, 10ms if they're mostly dry/automated in level. Auto release works more often than not.

Creatively speaking, you can compress the mix buss as much or as little as you want -- but try not to paint yourself (or your mastering engineer) into a corner. A couple dB of compression goes a long way, and the G comps are working a bit before the gain reduction needle is moving much at all.
Slower attack not doing it for me in this case, backed off the threshold a bit and feels a bit better
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOcchialini View Post
Ok, you asked
I did and i am grateful for your reply

In fact just took it off and stripped back a bit sounds very punchy!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

then its back on again - arrggghhhh!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post

+1 on the 30ms attack for already compressed stuff. Auto-release most of the time.

I tend to like 4:1 best.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use 2:1 never really anything else (4:1 sounds totally different)...rarely use auto-release. Never above -4db..generally -2-3db gr.

No-one will be able to tell you the actual threshold setting.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

For me (x-rack bus comp) it's usually:

3:1, 30ms attack and either 0.1ms or auto release - usually 0.1 if i want to hear it working

max of 4db of GR
Old 13th September 2011
Going more than 1-2gr I have found to be dangerous. Remember, the mastering engineer has got to do something too. heh

The bus comp, to me, is just some glue to make it all gel. The mix should already be hopping before the bus comp is even on there. You could try razing your ratio. Try 10:1 with 0.5 - 2 db gr. Try hitting it as little as you can.

Compression should make things sound closer, not pushed back.
Old 13th September 2011
As far as the threshold goes, it really depends on how hard you want to hit it.
It also depends on your console. For instance, my console's 2 buss hits SSL 384 so hard that I leave the threshold all the way open. As far as attack I tend to like it a little quicker, either 10 ms or 3, but mainly 10. The other thing that is important is to mix into the compressor, make sure it's on from very early in the mix.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

2:1, attack either wide open or almost, release either shortest or auto, and then put the thing over the groove quite tight. Notice I say 'groove' not drums....meaning the corners, say kick, sd/claps, hh (maybe all drums maybe not...) and you might put a parallel of the bass in there too for them all to breathe off each other, but have the bass outside too.....don't put the thing over the whole record. It;s best as a 'groove=rubber=band' pulling it quite tight I reckon. Put your Focusrite Red over the mix instead and just touch it a wee bit but imparting that 'pop-sheen thing' and a wee bit of glue....= punch and groove interaction from the SSL and still a record that can breathe outside it.....
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
As far as the threshold goes, it really depends on how hard you want to hit it.
It also depends on your console. For instance, my console's 2 buss hits SSL 384 so hard that I leave the threshold all the way open. As far as attack I tend to like it a little quicker, either 10 ms or 3, but mainly 10. The other thing that is important is to mix into the compressor, make sure it's on from very early in the mix.
yeah the c200hd seems to hit quite hard so i have been leaving the threshold all the way off but it sounds kind punchy and cool down to 10 on threshold sometimes but it feels like i might be driving a bit hard.....?

maybe just leave it at 15 and mix into like you say - just gotta be careful to remain in the bouncy zone! lol

saying that i swapped it for a red3 and that might just do the job for this mix...... we shall see.....

THANK YOU
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
2:1, attack either wide open or almost, release either shortest or auto, and then put the thing over the groove quite tight. Notice I say 'groove' not drums....meaning the corners, say kick, sd/claps, hh (maybe all drums maybe not...) and you might put a parallel of the bass in there too for them all to breathe off each other, but have the bass outside too.....don't put the thing over the whole record. It;s best as a 'groove=rubber=band' pulling it quite tight I reckon. Put your Focusrite Red over the mix instead and just touch it a wee bit but imparting that 'pop-sheen thing' and a wee bit of glue....= punch and groove interaction from the SSL and still a record that can breathe outside it.....
very tastefully put that man!

i was liking the 1/8note release for the groove and playing with 16 32note for attack but perhaps i got that vibe wrong

red 3 is on at the mo coz it was giving me more sheen as i have comp on separate tracks quite full on esp on drums "in a groove way"

plus i cant assign the c200 bus comp anywhere apart from across the mix :/

but i have distressors and fatso for that job
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young&PostModern View Post
Going more than 1-2gr I have found to be dangerous. Remember, the mastering engineer has got to do something too. heh

Compression should make things sound closer, not pushed back.
yeah agreed!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

plus i cant assign the c200 bus comp anywhere apart from across the mix :/

Jim, Jiiiiim, why not Jim....? Why not assignable...? Jim? heh

That's no fun .......then get a slice of grey 384 for rubberbanding the groove.....
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jim, Jiiiiim, why not Jim....? Why not assignable...? Jim? heh

That's no fun .......then get a slice of grey 384 for rubberbanding the groove.....
get get get - cant keep getting!

red3 and bus comp should do the job for now my man

although im more inclined to go with red3 right now!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

You sure the internal C200 one doesn't assign to buses.......? Seems silly if it didn't.....Jim? heh
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Well it's only assigned to the quad bus on a 4000 series but it appears on the patchbay so you can put it anywhere you like. Is that not the case with the c200?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOpAl View Post
Well it's only assigned to the quad bus on a 4000 series but it appears on the patchbay so you can put it anywhere you like. Is that not the case with the c200?
apparently not as i asked SSL and they said no :/
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
apparently not as i asked SSL and they said no :/
Tell Jim you want your money back.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tell Jim you want your money back.
HA!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

And the answer is.....

Dont use the comp as a brickwall!

red 3 with headroom sounding awesome.....

however g cmp also good with headroom!

Happy life again

plus liking the slower attack angle more bouncy when grooved right

THANKS EVERYONE - all input useful and helpful - be lost without you
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Dont use the comp as a brickwall!

red 3 with headroom sounding awesome.....

however g cmp also good with headroom!

Happy life again

plus liking the slower attack angle more bouncy when grooved right

THANKS EVERYONE - all input useful and helpful - be lost without you
Maybe turn it around and tightly rubberband the groove with wide open attack Red and just lick the mix with the built in SSL....you know you want to....or you'll keep wondering what it does......now that I mentioned it.......
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe turn it around and tightly rubberband the groove with wide open attack Red and just lick the mix with the built in SSL....you know you want to....or you'll keep wondering what it does......now that I mentioned it.......
cant change the order of the mix insert and built in comp

buit in comp first mix insert after.....
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
cant change the order of the mix insert and built in comp

buit in comp first mix insert after.....
You misunderstand. Use the SSL comp where it is, i.e. on the whole mix. It is hard wired on the mix bus, or am I misunderstanding?

Put the Red on a group with your groove in it........pull it tight with the attack open and release shut.........
Old 14th September 2011
***Adam's version of making the most of an SSL comp***

Un patching it
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search