The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora issue - the converters "forget" their settings when powered up Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Lynx Aurora issue - the converters "forget" their settings when powered up

Hello, I have a (probably minor) issue with my Aurora 8 and 16 units.

When powered up, they have a somewhat "generic" setting, they do not seem to remember the settings that I have made.

What can I do so that they always power up with the last setting I made?

Also, the Aurora software always boots with the "Dual Wire In" checkbox checked in the Digitla I/O section. But I have never checked that box.

Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks...!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

How do you switch them off ? What you describe can happen if you don't properly use the power on/off button (i.e. if you unplug the power chord when the unit is on, for example).

Other than that, it really looks like a malfunction... no clue as to how it can happen to more than a single unit at a time. Have you contacted Lynx support already ?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post

What can I do so that they always power up with the last setting I made?
Mine remember its settings if i power cycle it via the front power-button.
Old 13th September 2011
Fezzle
You can try resetting the Aurora itself it may solve the problem, unplug the power cord, hold the sample rate button... then plug back in whilest holding, you should hear a 'click' inside the unit. Try now, Do you use the AES16..? If so try having that set to Internal (clock source) and the Aurora set to AES A sync mode
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mine does this sometimes. I think if I power off the computer after the aurora16 is powered off then everything stays the same. Mine definitely has to do with the order of shutdown though. I'll have to test it out. I've started tracking with it unsync'ed a few times because of this. Whoops.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies so far!

I have put both Auroras in "On" mode so that they are not in bypass when powered up. I shut the computer down and then switch the Auroras off with the main power switch.

Perhaps I should switch them back in "Bypass" mode so that I can shut the Auroras down before the computer?

I have connected the Converters to the Mac pro with a RME HDSPe MADI card (via the LT-MADI extension in the Aurora 16).
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
I can't tell exactly what you've tried, but settings don't get saved unless you put the unit in "standby" mode, which is probably what Washington is getting at in his reply about how you are powering it down.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
I can't tell exactly what you've tried, but settings don't get saved unless you put the unit in "standby" mode, which is probably what Washington is getting at in his reply about how you are powering it down.

I never put mine in standby mode before powering down and it always remembers the last setting.

Usually I turn my computer off last (but not always) and still the settings are saved. Go figure.
Old 14th September 2011
Once the Auroras are power on and have the correct settings you desire, use the front panel black power button to turn them off and then back on. This procedure saves the state of the unit. Now when you turn off your main power and turn it back on, your Auroras will come up with the correct settings.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the new replies!

I find it strange, that we have two absolutely contrary statements. With some units it seems to work fine and with others not...

This morning I had the same issue again. I will manually shut down the Auroras with the black knob tonight and have a look if that cures the problem. I would rather not have to do this, but let's see...
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate View Post
Thanks for the new replies!

I find it strange, that we have two absolutely contrary statements. With some units it seems to work fine and with others not...

This morning I had the same issue again. I will manually shut down the Auroras with the black knob tonight and have a look if that cures the problem. I would rather not have to do this, but let's see...
Reread kittonian's post - it's potentially a one time operation if you never change the settings!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

My Aurora keeps everything and I power it up and down with the front button. Sometimes I power it down after the computer, sometimes before (the same with power on).

Weird!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Reread kittonian's post - it's potentially a one time operation if you never change the settings!
Ah, now I got it - I'll try that...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Problem solved - I switched the units to bypass like kittonian suggested and now everything works like a charm. Great converters!

Thanks to everybody for the help...
Old 27th October 2011
Gear Nut

I'm a little late to the party here but I don't understand how you can "bypass" these things??

Am I missing something?
Old 27th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
I'm a little late to the party here but I don't understand how you can "bypass" these things??

Am I missing something?
Mis-terminology - they mean "Soft power down" ie not cutting mains power, just using the soft-power off switch on the front.
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

Which you have to hold down a second or two to get to shut off...

No issue here.
Old 27th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Mis-terminology - they mean "Soft power down" ie not cutting mains power, just using the soft-power off switch on the front.
Right!

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search