The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which 1176 is CLA using most of time?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Which 1176 is CLA using most of time?

I saw video CLA (Chris Lord Alge) is having both UA 1176 Blue LN and Mohog 1176 in wood color, Daking and Distresstor. Does anyone know which one is his most often go to one for 1176?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

black on drums blue on vocals, rest depends. bass usually black.

dont remember where i saw this but theres some video of him giving a tour of all his ****

and its great ****
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

There were video on YouTube. He explained it clearly on it.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
There were video on YouTube. He explained it clearly on it.
ya but he didn't mention the mohog 1176 however i saw 2 units there.
so it keep me wondering which one does he prefer?

Also, anyone knows if Andy Wallace relied on 1176 as well? or he used only SSL comp?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc449 View Post
ya but he didn't mention the mohog 1176 however i saw 2 units there.
so it keep me wondering which one does he prefer?

Also, anyone knows if Andy Wallace relied on 1176 as well? or he used only SSL comp?
only SSL.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I know he has several 1176 Blue Stripes, and he bought another one from me a couple years ago. I think he's hogging them all up
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

CLA doesn't change settings - he buys a new unit if he doesn't like what one of them is doing (check around, he talks about this quite a bit) so if he's got one bluestripe he loves on a vocal, he'll get another for bass, if neither of those work on glockenspiel, he'll buy a third... rinse and repeat... definitely puts him in the King-o-The-Slutz category in my mind.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
CLA doesn't change settings - he buys a new unit if he doesn't like what one of them is doing (check around, he talks about this quite a bit) so if he's got one bluestripe he loves on a vocal, he'll get another for bass, if neither of those work on glockenspiel, he'll buy a third... rinse and repeat... definitely puts him in the King-o-The-Slutz category in my mind.
This has been argued over and over again. I doubt it personally.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Superwack may be exaggerating, although just slightly. Many mix guys do have a general template ready to go at any time. As mixers settle in to their sound and really get comfortable with each piece of gear over the years, it sometimes is just easier to buy another item for a new signal chain you are toying with. A mix machine such as CLA wants to spend less time assembling signal chains for each track, but rather have a few options already lined up for action. This saves a good bit of time and allows him to focus more on tweaks and finishing touches. Hardcore mixers like him have good assistants that are well versed in what their boss likes, in most situations. I'm sure the mix is probably 75% done before he gets his hands on it.
JJ Crews
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

According to Retro's advertising, the 176 stands alone at the finish line for vocal compressors for him!

That's right, alone at the finish line (whatever the hell that means)!

All the other comps are just empty boxes - that's why he doesn't change settings, the knobs don't turn.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search