The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
very small mic collection...is this enough? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

very small mic collection...is this enough?

Well it seems most likely that I will be making a move and can not take a lot of gear with me. I am setting up a few portable racks (Probably 12-16 total spaces between two boxes). One rack will be the recording interface, converters and headphone amp etc. The other will be a few extra channels of mic pres, and a compressor or two. I need to figure out my mic locker for this endevor.

In the future I will mostly be recording accoustic music (probably 2-3 pieces at a time: Guitars, dobro, acoustic bass etc) plus vocals. It will probably be rare if I record drum sets, but there could be an occasional native drum or percusion:

Here is what I have left in the mic locker:

Peluso 2247
Neuman KM84 (Late 60s's with tuchel connector)
AKG 414 EB-48 (x2) (late 70's or early 80s)
RE20

Cheap mics:
MXL 990 (x2)
SM57's (x2)
PG57's (2)
SM58's (x3)
Kick and drum mics from live rig.

What do you guys think I need to add considering I need to keep the mix case as minimal as I can.

I am thinking a ribbon mic, maybe a U87 and another KM84.

Thoughts?

Joe
Old 12th September 2011
Royer 121, vintage Neumann U87 and a pair of C451s and you're good to go, I'd say. Of course, I'd ditch those SMs and get a trio of 421s, but that's just me.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Money allowing, I'd add another KM84 (for stereo), two Gefell UM70's (the one's with transformers) with an addition (2) M70 Nickel diaphram SDC caps. That will give you a lot of diversity in the LDC and SDC realm. If you can swing it, add an U87 to the mix. Then I'd add a couple of either 4038's or modded Apex 205 ribbons. Also a Fathead if you have room/finances. Keep your RE20, the 57's, maybe a 58 or two and whatever live drum mics you want to bring. That would be enough for me to do almost anything. And do it well.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

IMH 2 cents--for Dobro and Acoustic Bass and given what you've got , R121 would seem a natural high-ender's choice.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks. What is the consensus on the Wunder CM7-FET (U47-FET clone)?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRE Productions View Post
Well it seems most likely that I will be making a move and can not take a lot of gear with me. I am setting up a few portable racks (Probably 12-16 total spaces between two boxes). One rack will be the recording interface, converters and headphone amp etc. The other will be a few extra channels of mic pres, and a compressor or two. I need to figure out my mic locker for this endevor.

In the future I will mostly be recording accoustic music (probably 2-3 pieces at a time: Guitars, dobro, acoustic bass etc) plus vocals. It will probably be rare if I record drum sets, but there could be an occasional native drum or percusion:

Here is what I have left in the mic locker:

Peluso 2247
RE20

Cheap mics:
MXL 990 (x2)
SM57's (x2)
PG57's (2)
SM58's (x3)

What do you guys think I need to add considering I need to keep the mix case as minimal as I can.

I am thinking a ribbon mic, maybe a U87 and another KM84.

Thoughts?

Joe
IMHO it's a small nice collection
Well, you have thousand of choices.. What I'd do:

sell the shure PG's and the MXL's.. keep the rest.. you'll never know, sm57 and 58 could be useful (especially if you record some live stuff), and on some el gtr's the sm57 is just right, IME).

Btw I'd get:

Another km84, since you have one it make sense to be able to have a stereo pair as DrBill said..

Another DrBill good advice was the Gefell UM70.. very nice mic (at least the MV692/UM70)..Eventually another very nice mic for acoustic gtr, or acoustic instruments in general, is the Milab DC-96-B..
Hey DrBill gave you some great advices! heh

Buy a Royer 121 and coles 4038 (and maybe a Shinybox, if you need another one on the cheap) you'll be a very happy camper IMO..

Regarding the 2247.. you could try to sell it and get a better tube mic (not that the Peluso is bad at that price), but maybe you could find something better.. check out the Gefell M92.1 or a BeesNeez tube mic (Arabella or Mahalia) or a Brauner Valvet X.. never used the Wunder, so can't comment..

If you can't afford it, use the Peluso 'till you could afford a better one and fill your mic locker with the few pieces that you really need.

In the future you could upgrade the dynamics mic with a pair of 441.

So if I had to prioritize:

Step 1:
1 x km84
1 x Gefell MV692/UM70 (or eventually 1 x Milab DC-96-B)
1 x Royer 121

Step2:
1 x Coles 4038
1 x nice tube mic (Gefell, BeesNeez, Brauner, etc..)

Step3:
-another ribbon
-other dynamics

I don't know if you're covered on the preamps side.. If not one of my favorite boxes for multi channel preamps is the ATI 8mx2.. real nice IMO.
You could get a couple of specialty pres on top of that like an Avedis MA5 or BAE 10xx series and call it a day.. heh

Just my 0.02$,

Good luck with your search..

Cheu
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks. I need to go thru all the mics I have. I know I have others like the E609 etc. But I wanted to get the ball rolling on what I remember of what is in the cases.

I agree on another Km84. Its a killer mic and another just makes sense. I am open to upgrading the Peluso. (this one is an early one and I installed a Telefunken tube which makes it sound great...but I understand).

I had 421's and liked them. But I was not in love with them. They are cheap and I could grab a few if needed. 441? Not familiar with that. Not familiar with the Gefell UM70 either. I need to do some homework.

For Preamps I have apair of vintage Neve 1272's converted to Mic Pres, I have vintage 4x API 312s. Then 8 channels of bland clean pres off the interface.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need to do some homework.
LOL heh

Quote:
For Preamps I have apair of vintage Neve 1272's converted to Mic Pres, I have vintage 4x API 312s. Then 8 channels of bland clean pres off the interface.
I think you're fine in that department! heh
When you really want to upgrade from interface preamps, seriously check out the ATI 8mx2, very versatile 1RU box..will be the last stepup you'll need for a solid (and cleaner) alternative to your neve's and API's.. O the other side I see that of course it's very handy to have 8 pres in the interface though..

IMO, you'll have all what you need (and then some) for some GREAT recordings!

Have fun!

Bests,

Cheu
Old 17th September 2011
500 series nutjob

i would not call the sm57 or 58's cheap, affordable but not cheap.
to me cheap is a term that indicates a lack of quality.

i would at a minimum keep;

Neuman KM84
AKG 414 EB-48 (x2)
RE20
SM57's (x2)
and one or two of the
SM58's
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well since we're defending mics.

FWIW, I've gotten nice results on upright bass with a Peluso 2247SE (omni) and 512c. Solid, realistic, clear and tight.

It's hard to argue with a pair of km84s and a handful of Gefells...but I do think a nice ribbon, or even a cheap ribbon would be a seriously essential tool to have, 'specially since you don't have one.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for everyones input. Based on the input, I have a vintage UM70 on its way to me. It's supposedly in good working condition. Tuchel connector with the XLR cable included for P48 etc.

So the recap of the topic is: Small mic collection for recording mostly acoustic instruments with the occasional drum or electric guitar. Here is what I now have:

Peluso 2247 (with vintage NOS Telefunken tube that tames the 7khz bump)
Gefell UM70 (vintage model with tuchel and xlr cable)
EV RE20
E609

and others:

MXL 990 (x2)
SM57's (x2)
PG57's (2)
SM58's (x3)

I am still thinking I need another vintage KM84 and add a U87 of sorts. And finally maybe a royer 121 or similar. I may have to wait on these last few mics. Unless I come up with good trade bait...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search