The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing monitors in Brazil - brands? Studio Monitors
Old 12th September 2011
Mixing monitors in Brazil - brands?

In November, I'm moving to the Northeast of Brazil. The cost of moving all of my equipment was too much, but the customs fees would almost double the figure!

So I've sold my big, heavy stuff, and will buy new when I arrive. I'm mostly concerned with monitors. I've seen many names that I'm unfamiliar with...perhaps national brands.

I see alot of Beringer, but I refuse to consider anything with that name.

My experience in the Northeast is that quality stuff is not only hard to find,but a lot more expensive. Can anyone fill me in on good brands around the $2.000 Reais price bracket? Or does that exist? I'm thinking KRK, Tannoy, or higher end Mackie.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hey, I'm from rj and am now living in ssa... It really is hard to find anything worth of considering; I've brought my mobile setup (only one I've got): sonic studio 305 (oem'd uln-8)+kiwi+lunch box+adams s2x... What do u have? I wouldn't recommend buying anything in Brazil; try to get someone to bring it overseas! Valeu!
Old 12th September 2011
Grrr! That's really the worst thing to hear! I'll be living in Teresina, PI, which is considered to be one of the poorest cities in Brazil. They don't carry 'high end' because no one can afford it.

I sold all my pres and went all Lunchbox (API 312, GR, Forssell) to be more portable. I sold my Digi003 for a Lynx LT22. I consider it an improvement in quality, but sacrificing inputs. I'm still concerned with getting my Mac Pro there. I've seen the way baggage handlers toss things around.

I've expanded my mic collection from 20 to 43. Easy to pack, and each mic doubles in value in Teresina.

But monitors...there was really no way to get my Mackie HR824's there without adding an extra $5,000 to the shipping cost
Old 12th September 2011
Someone will be here soon explaining his experience with the focal and how he took them back and got the Adams instead. Than they will try to persuade you in getting the Adams.

Check out this couple of threads that might help you decide.

Best small monitors for under $1500 - Gearslutz.com

Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
Someone will be here soon explaining his experience with the focal and how he took them back and got the Adams instead. Than they will try to persuade you in getting the Adams.

Check out this couple of threads that might help you decide.

Best small monitors for under $1500 - Gearslutz.com

Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com
No i don't say get the adams or persuade them, where as you actually try and make people get the cms without saying test others out etc, which is trying to persuade them to get the cms without testing others or even recommending other monitors.

I actually give feedback on all and say test as many sets as you can as monitors are very personal. I don't say just get this monitor such as your self, as that's just ignorent to the many other top monitors in this price region, and even said a few times there are many folk who love the focals, but that does not mean everyone does.

I actually don't say get the adams, just say add them to your list to check out and don't limit your self to one set without hearing a few especially considering the good options avaliable out there and of course give personal experience which has been appreicated by many on here (Spoke to over 10 people about my experiences in PM and thanks in many replies, just trying to be none biased but allways say test both or more out if you can!, as its personal)

To the op, you will want to check out the following IF you can get them where you are.

Neumann KH120
Adam A7X
Focal CMS65
KRK VXT8
Mackie HR824 MKII

A used set of PMC TB2 if you got an amp would be good also. If you want my personal experience on the A7x / cms50/65 / HR824 MK2 / b&w and other monitors then send me a pm and ill be happy to share.
Old 20th September 2011
Wow, so the choices in Brazil are really nil? No national brands whatsoever? I'm trying to avoid importing for now, but there are no temporary options???
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Alex View Post
Wow, so the choices in Brazil are really nil? No national brands whatsoever? I'm trying to avoid importing for now, but there are no temporary options???
national brands? forget it

have a look here, it is brazilian ebay: MercadoLivre Brasil - Onde comprar e vender de Tudo.
At least KRK and Yamaha you should find for a reasonal price.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Head

The tip of "capoeira" is great.
In "Mercado Livre" you should find a lot of options.
(but definitely DON'T buy anything from new sellers)

For around 2.000 reais, imho the KRK VXT6 is the best and clear choice.

Boa sorte! (Good luck!)
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNew View Post
The tip of "capoeira" is great.
In "Mercado Livre" you should find a lot of options.
(but definitely DON'T buy anything from new sellers)

For around 2.000 reais, imho the KRK VXT6 is the best and clear choice.

Boa sorte! (Good luck!)
vxt6 for 2000? i doubt. but a HS-80 for a bit more he'll find.

yes, you should be careful buying there, use the safe option to pay using "Mercado Pago"
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
vxt6 for 2000? i doubt. but a HS-80 for a bit more he'll find.

yes, you should be careful buying there, use the safe option to pay using "Mercado Pago"
Monitor Studio Krk Vxt-6 (1 Par) Novo R$ 2.399,99 - R$ 2.399,99 en MercadoLibre

Seller's feedback: 100% positive in 184 transactions.
(but the freight probably should be expensive, 'cause the seller is in the extreme south of Brazil)

Vendo Vxt Novas Lacradas - R$ 2.380,00 en MercadoLibre

Seller's feedback: 88% positive in 40 transactions. Still trustable.

Also, I'm seriously thinking about to sell my VXT6 pair for 2.100,00. Used for 1 year, I still have the boxes. Like new.
Old 22nd September 2011
Obrigado e valeu, gentes! I've used Mercado in the past. It seems to attract a lot of the smarter thieves in Brazil, but long-time sellers should be reliable. But in Teresina, ML is going to be the best bet for quality stuff.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search