The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
desert island 500 series pre for vocals 500 Series Preamps
Old 29th May 2012
Gear Nut
on a desert island there would be no electricity so this thread is completely useless.
Old 29th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
I can't think of too many sources that vary as widely as "vocals'. It seems odd to me that so many would be so confident in their choice before they've ever heard the singer, and without any regard to arrangement, genre, mood, mic and so on. One size fits all?

If I read correctly, exactly ONE poster mentioned the musical context in which his judgements were made. Interesting.
Good point, and a major problem with getting gear advice anonymously over the internet. With threads like these, I tend to assume these people all work (or want to work) in a modern, radio-friendly commercial pop context - where folks really do seem to want to all sound alike.
Old 29th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
So the MA5 is just a really well done 1073 clone? Is there some magic?
Magic? Well, it was designed by a Neve expert... Not just someone who blindly copied a schematic and added a switching voltage converter.

Plus, the transformer it uses is without a doubt a work of art.

That combined with the other aspects make it an excellent preamp, and really the best choice in an under $1000 - price point.
Old 30th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
the best choice in an under $1000 - price point.
I'd say that holds true in most price points, in fact I don't know that I have a stronger preference for another preamp at any price point.
Old 30th May 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranxformer View Post
on a desert island there would be no electricity so this thread is completely useless.
clearly you have it all figured out
Old 30th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
MA5 sound nothing like a vintage 1073. The bottom end is not even close That being said it is a awesome mic pre. It is more like an old audix mic pre or a broadcast neve from the later 70s but still not quite that good. However I agree this is still subjective. I have a pair of vintage 1073s and 2x 1066 modules and the MA5 is simply not the same. I know people say MA5 sound like vintage Neve 10xx but they do not. I like them though I have a pair for toms
Old 30th May 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstack View Post
MA5 sound nothing like a vintage 1073. The bottom end is not even close That being said it is a awesome mic pre. It is more like an old audix mic pre or a broadcast neve from the later 70s but still not quite that good. However I agree this is still subjective. I have a pair of vintage 1073s and 2x 1066 modules and the MA5 is simply not the same. I know people say MA5 sound like vintage Neve 10xx but they do not. I like them though I have a pair for toms
Cool- thanks
Old 30th May 2012

Quote:
Cool- thanks
Just a heads up... The person you just quoted is a troll who has been stirring up crap on the site under multiple identities.

He has never even seen an MA5... except in pictures.
Old 30th May 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
Just a heads up... The person you just quoted is a troll who has been stirring up crap on the site under multiple identities.

Lol ok... I guess that is why we have site moderators. Thanks.
Old 30th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC_Productions View Post
hi guys,

any suggestions on a single 500 series pre that will play nice with vocals Both Male&female?

basically i'm looking for a single 500 series pre and simply change mic for tone/colour/character etc, what pre would you guys recommend?

im trying to stick with a 1 slot pre but might consider a 2 slot pre, i live in the UK and find it hard to demo any 500 series gear at all, so i can only go by gut feeling and recommendations.

Cheers
neve 1073 is great
helios type 69 is great it sounds really dark. plus it has a eq built in. tons of color.
API is cool and punchy.
Electrodyne 501 is another cool sounding pre.

some people like daking, the pacifica p1 pre, the avedis, etc.
Old 30th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
pacifica p1 pre
great on vocals and pianos, very smooth
Old 30th May 2012
Gear Addict

if you take the Safesound P501 to your island you can not only record the falling cononut, but compress the crap out of it too. If a crab brings a guitar, you can plug that in there too.
Old 30th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
if you take the Safesound P501 to your island you can not only record the falling cononut, but compress the crap out of it too. If a crab brings a guitar, you can plug that in there too.
I've never used one but I admit I've had my eye on one for a while! Those things look great having both a compressor AND limiter. Great stuff.

Regards,
Frank
Old 31st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Clearly not, based upon his description, which is simply uninformed.
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Maniac

Has anyone compared the MA5 with AML EZ1073?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 18th June 2012
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Not a clone based on my chats with Avedis.
But a very very well done pre!
Old 18th June 2012
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Has anyone compared the MA5 with AML EZ1073?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
yep
Own both love both!
Two great pres.

and the AML 5003D
AML EZ1073 has the EQ
Old 7th September 2012
Gear Maniac
I'm really into the Chandler Little Devil for vocals. It can go from clean with low impedance, feedback down and gain up to huge and coloured with feedback up and gain down. I found it to have the brightness of an API but with the "slowness' and big bottom end of a Neve.

I'm not left wanting for anything. Just smooths everything over nicely. I even re-ran some harsh sounding vocals through it and it was just superb. Highly recommended!
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
Electrodyne 501 .

Ditto

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search