The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
desert island 500 series pre for vocals 500 Series Preamps
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i hate the desert island choice, i would hate to choose only one.
Preamps are like ladies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
my personal all around recommendation would be; A-Designs P-1 i haves other i love i would say i love as much, but the P-1 is one of my top most picks.
I have the P-1 on my short list. I own a Nail and lurve it to death.
Old 22nd September 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
Preamps are like ladies?

I have the P-1 on my short list. I own a Nail and lurve it to death.
LOL
hehhehheh
yes yes yes: )~
just do NOT tell the wife that.
thats all you'll need is a jealous wife: o~
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub View Post
a-designs P1 my all around fav for that
I agree in 500.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Seems like there's a lot recording happening on desert islands...mmmm Where's Mary Ann?heh
Tom Petty has her....
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear
SH Gama would be my choice in this case
Old 25th September 2011
From what I've heard, the P1 is a great sounding unit, but I preferred the Pacifica... seemed like it had a bit more complexity and/or girth.

The MA5 is definitely a favorite of mine for vocals. And heck, if Ray LaMontagne can use it (on "God Willing at the Creek Don't Rise") without any qualms, I'm sure it's fine. I've had tons of great experience with that pre (on vocals, bass, drums, and guitar) to ever think it incapable of flattering any source, especially vocals.
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

None of them would be an option over an APA Juggernaut for vocals, specifically. But, that doesn't mean you can't make a good recording with any one of the 312 copies out there (API 512, BAE 312a, etc).
Old 25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Avedis MA5.

There are certainly other preamps available for the 500 series that will work for vocals... but, I still feel the MA5 is the top unit.
Yup. easily the best solid state pre I've used amongst 500 series.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Tom Petty has her....
I thought that was Mary Jane!
heh

Frank
Old 26th September 2011
Preamps are like ladies.

There are an awful lot of them out there, but when you find a truly special one, you realize that you won't miss or need all the others. You abandon "all the other" options and stick with what works, knowing that a great sound (and relationship) has so much more to do with what you creative labor you put into it--not having every available option at one's disposal.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Roll Tubule...magic
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Head

ok update,

i have a ma5 incoming,

now I have a tough choice regarding all the 1073 based pre's for the 500 series whose king of the hill?

if the price is not factored into the equation what pre would be top of the food chain?

Needs to be a single lunchbox slot!

(please remeber that i only intend to use for vocals in the meantime)
Old 24th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC_Productions View Post
ok update,

i have a ma5 incoming,

now I have a tough choice regarding all the 1073 based pre's for the 500 series whose king of the hill?

if the price is not factored into the equation what pre would be top of the food chain?

You have an MA5 coming?

You already picked the right 1073 style preamp, then....
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Nut

For me, my LaChapell 583s w/ an Amperex Bugle Boy tube in 'er seems to be winning out over my P1's lately for male rock/americana vocals...
-BR
Attached Thumbnails
desert island 500 series pre for vocals-img_20111024_222213.jpg  
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
ok update,

i have a ma5 incoming,

Thoughts?
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Avedis MA5.

There are certainly other preamps available for the 500 series that will work for vocals... but, I still feel the MA5 is the top unit.
Second that!

However.... The Helios is also one heck of a pre in the 500 series.
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Guru

512c
Old 27th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post
Second that!

However.... The Helios is also one heck of a pre in the 500 series.
Tell me more about the Helios, please!
Old 27th May 2012
Deleted User
Has anyone used the Little Devil, say compared to the MA5? Thanks.
Old 28th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
hi guys,

any suggestions on a single 500 series pre that will play nice with vocals Both Male&female?

basically i'm looking for a single 500 series pre and simply change mic for tone/colour/character etc, what pre would you guys recommend?

im trying to stick with a 1 slot pre but might consider a 2 slot pre, i live in the UK and find it hard to demo any 500 series gear at all, so i can only go by gut feeling and recommendations.

Cheers
too bad they don't make a 1081 pre for the 500 series.

1073 repros are great. electrodyne, helios, daking, great river, are great too. i'm suprised UA doesn't make one but those are great.

neve 1073 would be my choice.
Old 28th May 2012
Lives for gear

+10 for the MA5. Or +15??? I've lost count.

I've been on a quest for the best vocal preamp for two decades and I've settled in quite happily with the MA5. I can't say that about any previous preamps, and there have been many. It's not perfect and none are, but it's the closest I've found, and it makes things sound better than they actually are more often than not. What else can you ask for?
Old 28th May 2012
Deleted User
Come on... someone must have used the Chandler stuff and compared it to these pres.... anyone?
Old 28th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
Come on... someone must have used the Chandler stuff and compared it to these pres.... anyone?
I have a Germanium and have used it for vocals. It's very different from the MA5. A LOT of color and more girth, as you'd expect. It's not an everyday option for vocals, imo. Not a General Store. But it does the ultra-colored vocal sound brilliantly. It's also the best guitar preamp I've used. And a serious player for bass. Engage the "Thick" switch on low end instruments and watch the paint peel from the wall.
Old 28th May 2012
Deleted User
cool, thank you
Old 28th May 2012
Lives for gear

Black Diamond i was trying to find the exact same info as you! From my understanding the Little Devil doesn't sound much like a Germanium... well you can probably make it sound like one but it's a different sound/design. I actually had the little devil side by side with the Vintech 573, I ended up keeping the little devil. The devil is a more detailed present sound while still staying thick. It's brighter then the Vintech. But the selling point for me with the Devil is the amount of different tones you can get out of it.
Old 29th May 2012
Deleted User
Cool, good info
Old 29th May 2012
Gear Head

MA5.

I own 4 of them and they are the definitive "desert isle" pre for me. You'll never look back once you get one. You may add different preamps to the mix of your collection, but they will always stay in your rack. Trust me.
Old 29th May 2012
Deleted User
So the MA5 is just a really well done 1073 clone? Is there some magic?
Old 29th May 2012
Lives for gear

I can't think of too many sources that vary as widely as "vocals'. It seems odd to me that so many would be so confident in their choice before they've ever heard the singer, and without any regard to arrangement, genre, mood, mic and so on. One size fits all?

If I read correctly, exactly ONE poster mentioned the musical context in which his judgements were made. Interesting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search